Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skin blemished from acne

• 16-02-2012 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

My skin is prone to acne and it really bothers me...
    Im mid twenties and I still have it the same as I had when I was a teenager.. I cant go anywhere without having to wear make up...
    I have been given topical cream by my GP before but I feel this thins my skin and is in no way helping the blemishes I have been left with..
    Could anyone reccomend any products to help with my cleanse tone and moisturize routine that may help me?
    Or would anyone reccomend bio oil? How long does it take for the effects to be seen?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

Hi
    Have you tried PanOxyl? I used to find it very good.
    Also the pill (Dianette) is great for clearing skin.

I get an AHA facial the odd time - it also dries the spots up alot.

I've tried blue light therapy - don't waste your money it was useless and SO expensive. Sunbed had a better effect than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Birdster

if it is scars and redness you want to eliminate, then pure Vitamin E oil is the best, not sure if you can buy it in a bottle here but you can buy capsules and stick a pin in them and rub it on. My friend got good results from it. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭genegenie

Hi Wivy,

Sorry to hear about this, as someone with acne prone skin I sympathise.

If your skin is scarring, would you consider going back to your GP and asking for a referral to a dermatologist? It's much easier to prevent the scars from forming in the first place than to treat them after the fact.

Otherwise, I've found retinol products to really help my acne and to clear scarring. I find Skinceuticals 0.5% and 1% to be very good. Some advice and my thoughts on that here: http://www.dollyrouge.ie/2012/01/vitamin-a-wesome-cant-get-enough-of-this-wonderful-stuff

Some other treatments that worked for me... Panoxyl and Quinoderm, which contain benzoyl peroxide to kill bacteria, and is also mildly skin lightening. La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo is a nice daily moisturiser with antibacterial and exfoliating ingredients.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

thanks a million guys will def look into some of those...
    is the panoxyl something you have to get a perscription for?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭genegenie

wivy wrote: »
    thanks a million guys will def look into some of those...
    is the panoxyl something you have to get a perscription for?...

Nope, it's over the counter. Though I can't seem to get Panoxyl in the chemists in Carlow anymore. They have Brevoxyl (4% benzoyl peroxide) and Quinoderm (10% BP). Probably best to start on 4% :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jen84

wivy wrote: »
    My skin is prone to acne and it really bothers me...
    Im mid twenties and I still have it the same as I had when I was a teenager.. I cant go anywhere without having to wear make up...
    I have been given topical cream by my GP before but I feel this thins my skin and is in no way helping the blemishes I have been left with..
    Could anyone reccomend any products to help with my cleanse tone and moisturize routine that may help me?
    Or would anyone reccomend bio oil? How long does it take for the effects to be seen?

Thank you

I'm all for panoxyl benzoyl peroxide too!! Did wonders for me. My skin got really dry and irritated when I first used it but calms down in week or so. Use a really gentle cleaner (like eucerin or cetaphil) maybe tone with witch hazel and oil free moisturiser (definately make sure you get one with SPF for daytime if you have thin skin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jen84

genegenie wrote: »
    Hi Wivy,

Sorry to hear about this, as someone with acne prone skin I sympathise.

If your skin is scarring, would you consider going back to your GP and asking for a referral to a dermatologist? It's much easier to prevent the scars from forming in the first place than to treat them after the fact.

Otherwise, I've found retinol products to really help my acne and to clear scarring. I find Skinceuticals 0.5% and 1% to be very good. Some advice and my thoughts on that here: http://www.dollyrouge.ie/2012/01/vitamin-a-wesome-cant-get-enough-of-this-wonderful-stuff

Some other treatments that worked for me... Panoxyl and Quinoderm, which contain benzoyl peroxide to kill bacteria, and is also mildly skin lightening. La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo is a nice daily moisturiser with antibacterial and exfoliating ingredients.

Hope this helps!

I've been reading up on retin-a recently? It sounds great for acne and anti-aging! Any advice on it? I actually have a tube of it but haven't started using it... did it make your skin worse initially? I've read this can happen but results are great if you stick at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

jen84 wrote: »
    I've been reading up on retin-a recently? It sounds great for acne and anti-aging! Any advice on it? I actually have a tube of it but haven't started using it... did it make your skin worse initially? I've read this can happen but results are great if you stick at it?

Retin-a completely cleared up my skin. I started using it 18 months ago and haven't had a single spot (seriously, none) in about 16 months (!!!!!). I haven't used the product in 8 months as I believe it gave me a horrible case of perioral dermatits. I'm not 100% sure it was the cause but I haven't had it since I stopped using the product. Be aware that it is very harsh on the skin -wear an appropriate suncream (50+). I never got the initial breaking out period, but most users do. It did give me really dry skin for a few months, really sensitive and flaky and I couldn't wear makeup. My skin is still slightly dry and sensitive even now, although I'm 20 so it is possible that's just due to my transition from being a teenager :)

Anyway, all in all I would recommend retin-a to you and the OP. If I had acne again I think it would be what I would use. If you use it make sure you remember to be really gentle to your skin otherwise (NO exfoliation, harsh cleanser, etc) and wear suncream. I would recommend switching to all-natural skincare like Dr haushka, trilogy or something else. And follow the instructions! Especially with regard to drying your face first, using tiny amounts spaced with days at first, and so on.

Advertisement