Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Laura136

I completed my CTC on the 11th February. My sponsor said it will take at least 4 weeks but could take longer depending on their workload and if they require any further information. Can't see any reason why I wouldn't be granted clearance so not too worried about that one. What all did you have to do at the medical? Was it just very basic stuff?

Training is scheduled to commence from the beginning of April according to HR Connect but this is subject to change. Training will be done in batches in accordance with your merit placing...since you're very low down on the list you may be requested to start training from the beginning of April. However, I am lead to believe that should this not suit you, you can request to be taken in a different batch and I think they are fairly accommodating with this. So I imagine you'll be fine that way.

We don't get a choice of location unfortunately. It stated on our application that we must be prepared to serve in any of the 3 establishments. I went to an information evening though and asked this question and was basically told that it's highly unlikely anybody will be going to Magilligan. The vast majority of new recruits will be going to Maghaberry and a few to Hydebank. Although I imagine they would be relatively accommodating if you requested Hydebank after you finish training. I'm hoping for Maghaberry. I live quite a distance from all locations and Maghaberry would be the easiest / closest for me at just about an hours drive.

Do you live close to any of the locations or will you have to travel quite a lot too? Obviously don't give out where you live exactly lol.

Thank you for all this information, it's very helpful :)

Ok, the medical - it's very straightforward. Pee in a cup and then in to see the doctor. He or She will go threw your completed medical form and discuss any medical conditions you have. They will tell you there and then if you've passed. Mine lasted all of 20mins.

I am close to Maghaberry, like 20-30 mins drive but I think i might cope better in Hydebank. I am a female.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ItWasntMe88

No problem - just realised I was a paragraph short of a novel there lol so apologies for the long read. Glad you found some of it helpful though. This whole process can be rather frustrating sometimes due to lack of information so it's nice to speak with someone in the same boat to share information gathered.

Anxious about the medical and REALLY want to get it done and out of the way. I'm glad that we find out on the day though! That's a major thing for me!

I wouldn't let the fact that you're female put you off Maghaberry...you'll hold your own just fine and the training, according to what I've been told, is very thorough so you'll be trained well to cope with any situation regardless of the fact you're female. I would be of the opinion that Hydebank would be more demanding than Maghaberry anyway. Do you mind me asking how old you are?

It really is such a slow process and the information provided is extremely limited.

I was the same as you about the medical. But listen it's really nothing to worry about - as long as you are in one piece and in pretty good health at the moment you will sail threw it. It's literally balancing on one leg and doing a few twists and a squat.

I'm 30 years young lol mind you at the info evening I attended I actually felt old!

I just heard back from my sponsor RE my CTC application and she said it will take around 7 weeks for it to be completed due to her workload. That brings mine up to the very end of March and I'm guessing the NIPS can't offer a start date without it being completed.

Laura136 wrote: »
    It really is such a slow process and the information provided is extremely limited.

I was the same as you about the medical. But listen it's really nothing to worry about - as long as you are in one piece and in pretty good health at the moment you will sail threw it. It's literally balancing on one leg and doing a few twists and a squat.

I'm 30 years young lol mind you at the info evening I attended I actually felt old!

I just heard back from my sponsor RE my CTC application and she said it will take around 7 weeks for it to be completed due to her workload. That brings mine up to the very end of March and I'm guessing the NIPS can't offer a start date without it being completed.

That's good to know...puts my mind at ease a bit. I'm perfectly fit and healthy. Just a past medical issue I'm worried about. Would be good to just get it out of the way!

You're only a youngun like myself then...I'm 27. Did notice at the information evening that most people were mid to early 20's. Did you attend yours toward the end of Jan?

That probably bodes well for you then with having to give notice etc. I would imagine that this must be passed before a formal offer can be given yes.

I DETEST my current job and can't wait to get started lol.

That's good to know...puts my mind at ease a bit. I'm perfectly fit and healthy. Just a past medical issue I'm worried about. Would be good to just get it out of the way!

You're only a youngun like myself then...I'm 27. Did notice at the information evening that most people were mid to early 20's. Did you attend yours toward the end of Jan?

That probably bodes well for you then with having to give notice etc. I would imagine that this must be passed before a formal offer can be given yes.

I DETEST my current job and can't wait to get started lol.

As long as your past medical issue hasn't got any worse then you have nothing to worry about :) I had the same worry. Hopefully you will get a date for yours this week.

Yes I had my info evening towards the end of Jan. I found it helpful to meet others in the same boat and to get to talk to those already in. I think there will be another information evening if we are made an offer of employment that our family can attend too.

I am currently very lucky as i am in a job that I've been doing for over 6 yrs and it's actually ok, is 9-5 Monday to Friday and within 5 mins from my home. Everyone thinks I am mad going for this but it feels like it's the job I am supposed to be doing (i am not weird i promise lol)

• Advertisement

lol didn't for a second think you're weird!! I understand where your coming from, I hate my job but that's irrelevant really... feel like this is what I should be doing too. I get bored easily so really need a job that challenges me and is constantly changing. I find it fascinating although some cynics that I've spoken to reckon my rose tinted glasses will soon steam up - I doubt it though lol.

You're right there is supposed to be another info night - I had forgotten about that. That will be good though if they do. My wife is a bit anxious about the whole thing (my safety more than anything) so it might help put her mind at ease a bit!

Fingers crossed for medical invite this week.

Just got my medical invite - YAYYY!!

Just wondering... with regards to the Hepatitis vaccination, do we get this at the medical if we pass it?

Awww Great news :) I am so pleased for you! Is it within the next few weeks? And don't worry about it at all, you will be grand!

And no, you won't get the Hepatitis Vaccination while there. We will get it when we are going through our 10 weeks training.

Also, did HR connect tell you the NIPS are planning on starting training early April? And do you know when we find out our permanent prison location? Is it before, during or after the 10 training?

It sure is... only a few days away actually. Will be glad to get it done and out of the way. I'm sure everything will be fine!

Yeah it was HR Connect. I asked them if they had a rough date and they said they anticipate the beginning of April but not confirmed as of yet. Can't imagine anybody being put through training if your CTC hasn't cleared but could be wrong on that one.

Not sure when we find that out to be honest, probably when training is coming to an end? We are supposed to have training days in all 3 establishments during that 10 weeks. You still hoping for Hydebank or have you changed your mind?

I'm still so undecided! Hopefully we do get a chance to visit each and then maybe I will have a better idea :)

Is it just me or is time dragging so much now?! I really just want to get started!!

• Advertisement

The wait for this invite to medical felt like a decade to be honest... was pulling my hair out lol. Hopefully won't be much longer until we hear something further / more definitive about start dates etc. At least if you had a date, even if it was 6 months away, you'd have something to look forward to. I'd start in the morning if they asked!

Do you have a partner? How do they feel about your new job?

Yeah fingers crossed we start hearing more news soon :) My partner feels the same way as yours - very anxious about my safety. I am hopeful that there is a information night that they can attend which will maybe help ease those worries.

Just got my medical invite - YAYYY!!

Just wondering... with regards to the Hepatitis vaccination, do we get this at the medical if we pass it?

Well?!??! Have you been and if so how did it go??

Hi 😊 Nope haven't been yet...it's on Monday. Hate wishing my life away but wish the days would hurry up lol...past couple of days have dragggggged in! Have you had any further correspondence?

Nope i've heard nothing else. I'm hoping the next time I do hear from them it will be a job offer :)

Have you seen the news today?

Yeah I did, disgraceful. Even more disgusting is some of the comments I have read on news websites...should be ashamed of themselves! Anyway, it won't deter me.

Were you given a reason for your CTC being delayed? I had some more information requested the other day which I responded to immediately but didn't say anything about any delays.

It won't deter me either but it is disgusting! I was surprised to read that the officer was from Hydebank... I had assumed it was going to be Maghaberry.

And that's good to hear that they were asking you for additional info! Means they are actually looking at them :) and as I had mine in a few days before you I will also take it as good news that I haven't got any requests for additional information!

My sponsor sent me the following when I asked how long it would take for my CTC to clear - "The average time once you have submitted your online application would be about four weeks but at the moment its around seven. As soon as we receive the notifications from DBS we will let you know."

I made the same assumption actually. Disgusted by it...these people need to take a good hard look at themselves!

Yeah, that was the same thought I had...at least they're looking at and doing something. Hopefully won't be too much longer til we find out about it. Would be nice to find out next week actually lol...passing CTC and medical in the same week would be great!!

Good luck today @ itwasntme88 I can't wait to hear you've passed it :)

Thanks Laura!! Not long now! Will let you know how it goes!!

• Advertisement

All done with the medical and PASSED!! Delighted lol! Just the CTC to go then!

GREAT news :) I'm so pleased for you!!!

Now you can join my club in checking the status of you CTC every few hours...

Thanks Laura!!

Lol I'm already in that club...I hope they don't have a visit counter on that page, mine is easily in the thousands!

I will let you know when my CTC status changes or if I hear anything from HR Connect :)

Mind you I don't imagine I will hear anything from HR Connect until a few days after the CTC process has completed :( HURRY UP CTC!!!

Yes keep in touch and let me know if you hear any more!! I will do the same! It's almost a month since we submitted CTC forms so shouldn't be much longer hopefully. You never know, we could be in training together lol

I GOT THE OFFER!!!!

Received an email from HR with my start date and all :):):) Early April! Buzzing

WOW CONGRATULATIONS LAURA - fantastic news! Delighted for you!!!! You must feel amazing right now!!

When did they email?? Has your CTC cleared?

I am over the moon! Can not wait to get started.

They emailed yesterday with the subject - OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT :)

My CTC hasn't cleared yet, they made reference to it in the offer stating that as it's still being carried out that should it fail the offer will be withdrawn.

Fingers crossed you hear very soon!!

I'm sure you are...very pleased for you! Well done! Exciting times ahead!

I'm glad they're going ahead with training regardless of CTC clearance rather than hanging about for it!

Haven't heard anything yet but hopefully soon...dying to get going! Will be worth the wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 sophiekoby

Hi! I've received my offer of employment! Eventually!
    However CTC still not cleared.
    Just wondering has anyone in this situation gone ahead and handed notice into current jobs etc? What happens is CTC comes back unsatisfactory? I'm starting to panic....thought I would have had more notice than this!

Advertisement