Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ItWasntMe88

sophiekoby wrote: »
    Hi! I've received my offer of employment! Eventually!
    However CTC still not cleared.
    Just wondering has anyone in this situation gone ahead and handed notice into current jobs etc? What happens is CTC comes back unsatisfactory? I'm starting to panic....thought I would have had more notice than this!

Hi Sophie!

Congratulations!! Bet you're chuffed to bits! When did you receive your offer?? Do you know when you start?

I don't think anybody's CTC has cleared to be honest! It can take months as far as I know! I guess you'll just have to take a chance on it but I'd imagine they're fairly confident everyone will pass it or else they wouldn't hand out offers prior to clearance. It's probably more of a formality than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Nb1234

Hi! I've received my offer of employment! Eventually!
    However CTC still not cleared.
    Just wondering has anyone in this situation gone ahead and handed notice into current jobs etc? What happens is CTC comes back unsatisfactory? I'm starting to panic....thought I would have had more notice than this!

Congrats Sophie!! I had a Big delay with eyesight issues in the medical but I went yesterday and passes thank god, I currently work in a similar security type environment and when I initially applied for my job now it took 2 months for myCTC to clear and it was the exact same form I had to fill out for this one.

Hope to see you in the job soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Laura136

Nb1234 wrote: »
    Congrats Sophie!! I had a Big delay with eyesight issues in the medical but I went yesterday and passes thank god, I currently work in a similar security type environment and when I initially applied for my job now it took 2 months for myCTC to clear and it was the exact same form I had to fill out for this one.

Hope to see you in the job soon!

Hey NB did you get a start date for early April too?

Laura136 wrote: »
    Hey NB did you get a start date for early April too?

Only did my medical yesterday Laura, but hope to hear word soon! Also congrats on the offer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Laura136

Nb1234 wrote: »
    Only did my medical yesterday Laura, but hope to hear word soon! Also congrats on the offer :)

Thank you NB!

Hopefully you hear soon too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 sophiekoby

Start date early April......just handed my notice in today!!!

Start date early April......just handed my notice in today!!!

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sophiekoby

Has anyone else heard anything yet?

Has anyone else heard anything yet?

Start date early April

I'm still waiting unfortunately. When did you get your offer Nb?

• Advertisement

Anybody else still waiting to hear from the Prison Service?

I have now passed everything and simply waiting on a start date for training. Anybody in the same situation? Anybody start a couple of weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jayo4223

Yeah it wasn't me Im in a similar position to yourself Im awaiting a start date.... Im in the 60's on the merit list hopefully hear something soon!!

Jayo4223 wrote: »
    Yeah it wasn't me Im in a similar position to yourself Im awaiting a start date.... Im in the 60's on the merit list hopefully hear something soon!!

Hi there! Good to hear from somebody else in the same situation as me! I'm not sure if you're aware but they have reached merit number 61 so providing they take at least one more class you'll be getting your offer! I'm a few places futher down but not much...again as long as they take one more class I'll be in!

Tell me about it I was gutted not to go in that first intake!! How do you know they've reached that number? Yeah hopefully they take another few classes then we'll both be laughing!! Id say we'll hear after the first squads are nearly finished...
    Hi there! Good to hear from somebody else in the same situation as me! I'm not sure if you're aware but they have reached merit number 61 so providing they take at least one more class you'll be getting your offer! I'm a few places futher down but not much...again as long as they take one more class I'll be in!

Tell me about it I was gutted not to go in that first intake!! How do you know they've reached that number? Yeah hopefully they take another few classes then we'll both be laughing!! Id say we'll hear after the first squads are nearly finished...

Me too, was devastated lol! I asked HR Connect and they told me they've reached number 61. Just need to hope for another intake. Although I'm very hopeful that they will! You're probably right; once the current intake is nearing the end of their training we should hear something. I'm kind of hoping to hear sooner. Was thinking, they'll probably give us at least a months notice and I'm guessing they'll want to us to start immediately after the others finish so MAYBE, just maybe we'll hear something around week 5 of their training? Which is 3 weeks away?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TrueBlue92

Hey does anyone actually know if there is going to be another intake for the prison? I have everything completed and waiting patiently.

TrueBlue92 wrote: »
    Hey does anyone actually know if there is going to be another intake for the prison? I have everything completed and waiting patiently.
    Hi there. Unfortunately no one knows for sure. I'm in the same position as you except I'm waiting impatiently:unsure: I'm hoping that no news is good news. Kind of figure if they had decided not to take any further classes they would have made that decision by now and informed us. Of course I could be very wrong.

Do you know your merit position?

I was supposed to be in the first intake but because of the Short notice i couldn't accept due to other commitments. Gutted. They said they would put me on hold for another intake if it happens. I would think if they weren't taking anymore they would say so. Does anyone know how many they took in the first batch?

I heard from a reliable source they took 46 through to training in two squads!! Im more than hopeful they take another few squads on our introduction night in hydebank they stated that everyone that was coming the next two nights had a job!! It's a matter of waiting to see now Id say we'll hear in the next month fingers crossed!! The first squads are a month into there training....
    I was supposed to be in the first intake but because of the Short notice i couldn't accept due to other commitments. Gutted.

They said they would put me on hold for another intake if it happens. I would think if they weren't taking anymore they would say so. Does anyone know how many they took in the first batch?
    Add your reply here.

I heard from a reliable source they took 46 through to training in two squads!! Im more than hopeful they take another few squads on our introduction night in hydebank they stated that everyone that was coming the next two nights had a job!! It's a matter of waiting to see now Id say we'll hear in the next month fingers crossed!! The first squads are a month into there training....
    Are you sure they took 46? I was certain it was 40. I could be wrong though. They're definitely in need of the staff from what I have read through research but I think the only problem that might arise for us is the lack of funding. The Prison Service budget has been butchered from what I have read. So it's not that they don't want or need any more, they definitely do, it's a matter if they can afford us or not.

• Advertisement

I wonder how many introduction nights there was and how many attended. To be honest i cant see them only taking 46.

Yeah your right I looked through its 20 per squad dunno were I got 23... Apologies!! yeah they are short staff they've lost loads through retirement and to the police!! But as you say it's weather or not the budget allows them to take us. From a friend in the training process he reckons there will be more intakes!! But we'll have to wait to get it in black and black.... Hate not knowing!
    Are you sure they took 46? I was certain it was 40. I could be wrong though. They're definitely in need of the staff from what I have read through research but I think the only problem that might arise for us is the lack of funding. The Prison Service budget has been butchered from what I have read. So it's not that they don't want or need any more, they definitely do, it's a matter if they can afford us or not.
    Add your reply here.

I really can't see them only taking 40 either. I think it was a recommendation of the CJINI report that they recruit between 75-100 new officers. And that was their recommendation for Maghaberry alone. Although I don't think they have any staffing issues with the other two establishments. I hate this waiting too. I wouldn't care if they told me I had a place but I wouldn't begin training for another few months.. I just want to know where I stand. Getting this job would be life changing for me, as I'm sure it would for others too, so it's hard to focus on anything else. Does your friend know how long training is exactly then?

I think they will take another couple. I know a few people that left recently to go to the police so that will have to be taken into account. The turnover of staff is high so i think we have s reasonable chance.

I think training is 10 weeks. 3 weeks of that in the actual prison. One week in each prison

Well you're obviously top of the list for the next intake TrueBlue92 since you should have been in the first. I wonder if there are many more like you? With my merit position I should be good for the next intake as well providing they take another two groups of 20. I know of one or two that left for the PSNI too. I think a lot of people use it as a stepping stone for the police; they seem to loose quite a few every time the PSNI recruit.

I don't know of anyone else that couldn't go in the first batch but its possible. The notice i got was really short so its possible others got the same notice. No what ,if they offer me again I'm going.

No matter what I'm going next time regardless of notice i get

I don't know of anyone else that couldn't go in the first batch but its possible. The notice i got was really short so its possible others got the same notice. No what ,if they offer me again I'm going.
    Right you are!! Too good of an opportunity to miss!

• Advertisement

There was two invitation nights with two airings at each event.yeah I would like to think they'll take a sizeable recruitment, there have been plenty leaving and with the bad press they've been getting hopefully they'll take another few squads...we'll have to wait and see what happens! Yeah I be happy know I was getting a job wouldn't really bother me when!! It's crap being left in limbo can't book any holidays or plan anything...it's 9 weeks!
    I really can't see them only taking 40 either. I think it was a recommendation of the CJINI report that they recruit between 75-100 new officers. And that was their recommendation for Maghaberry alone. Although I don't think they have any staffing issues with the other two establishments. I hate this waiting too. I wouldn't care if they told me I had a place but I wouldn't begin training for another few months.. I just want to know where I stand. Getting this job would be life changing for me, as I'm sure it would for others too, so it's hard to focus on anything else. Does your friend know how long training is exactly then?
    Add your reply here.

Advertisement