Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ali99

Leave Sponsor bit blank. That is filled out by the NIPS who will be sponsoring your clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Little Loki

Just emailed for my merit, got the little brown evvelope so not holding my breath, congrats to everyone within the 200 range!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

I would just like to share a wee thought with everyone, was talking to a young girl tonight who was accepted into the PSNI but declined the offer, she did not state why though, which raises an issue me and the other NPM (Nearly PSNI Men/women) have encountered where people apply and progress further and further but have doubts or are not sure about taking the job while fill the merit pool. There is of course people who start training but realise the job is not for them, due to a long list of issues some of which are:-
    Didnt know they would be working shifts
    Didnt know they would be armed on duty
    Didnt know they may be armed off duty
    Didnt know they would have to wear a uniform.

I know this job in the NIPS is somewhat different from the PSNI but its not that far away, there is plenty of info of what to expect in this line of work from current and ex officers so take the time to read these and think about how much you want this job, its not easy and its a job for life, the fact that the NIPS hasn't held a recruitment drive on this scale for 20 years is proof enough i think. It's not a decision to take lightly but better to make sure now than when its too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Good Man weepete - encouraging people to free up spaces for me......

Gutted, 460-470, I kinna knew it though.

• Advertisement

Here's hoping we both scrape in Little Loki - our merit places are very close!

I know that is random isn't it! On the bright side we were within the top 10%! It might count for something down the line!

wanadrum wrote: »
    Good Man weepete - encouraging people to free up spaces for me......

Well i'd say i'm encouraging people just to make sure it's what they really want and aren't just in it for the challenge to see if they could make it.

At the risk of annoying people a wee thing i noticed was: At both of my PSNI IST's and at my NIPS IST i sorta got the feelin there was a few people there cause the man at the job centre told them to apply in order to keep there job seekers allowance (i hope that doesnt upset anyone on here, cause i think the people here are all genuine enough and are willing to put in the effort.). And if these people get through they then take up places above the cut-off point for the AC and then dont turn up for the AC, at both of my PSNI ACs at least 4 people didnt turn up on the day and i think 6 failed to make it to the NIPS AC, which delayed the whole thing cause the good folks of the recruitment branch held off to see if they would turn up, and while a little bit of me wants this to happen here, only so i get a chance to meet wanadrum and little loki, on the other hand i dont want people getting to this point and droppin out over a silly fact they did not know about like that you will be workin shift patterns, not only is it frustrating for the ones who just missed out but also for the recruitment team, i heard it rumoured that the last PSNI recruitment drive was so expensive that it worked out at £10,000 per officer that they actually employeed 400 officers X 10 grand = £4,000,000 but i think that includes the cost of the training period.

Rant over.

N.B. i do understand there is people who get offered the job and have very valid reasons for dropping out, with the lenght of the process other jobs may have come up or possible treats to their safety associated with the risk of the job may raise their heads from the comminity they live in etc.

Here's hoping we both scrape in Little Loki - our merit places are very close!

I know that is random isn't it! On the bright side we were within the top 10%! It might count for something down the line!

Well lads, if the recruitment branch is smart it'll keep all you good folks on stand by for if and when they need more officers, if tere is 500 leaving and they plan to streamline it and run it with fewer staff and they wanna cut out expensive overtime they may end up hiring close to 500 again, but in order to make this stage quickier they only wanna be dealing with 200 sets of vetting and medicals to do, get them into the college then work on the next set.

This kind of thing frustrates me too weepete - though not as much as those who actually accepted PSNI spaces but didn't turn up to GV. I'd rather someone drop out and let the next person on the list have their chance than the same person starting training without the commitment to follow it through.

I think you just want a GSD loving dog walking buddie.

Immagine getting paid to work with a GST.......would be a dream come true!

• Advertisement

I think we do have a chance, but I'm trying not to build hopes up.

There will also be people where vetting and medical gets in their way.

Has there been any mention that you know of that there will be more recruitment than the 200 already mentioned?

This kind of thing frustrates me too weepete - though not as much as those who actually accepted PSNI spaces but didn't turn up to GV. I'd rather someone drop out and let the next person on the list have their chance than the same person starting training without the commitment to follow it through.

I think you just want a GSD loving dog walking buddie.

Immagine getting paid to work with a GST.......would be a dream come true!

Thats it getting paid to do something you love, makes it almost not like work, i once had the pleasure of meeting a NIPS general purpose dog and a sniffer dog, the sniffer dog was just a bundle of energy, however the 16 stone general purpose german shepard who was able to look at me in the eye cause he rested his paws on my shoulders and actually chewed through rubber batton rounds was just great, scary as hell but once he sniffed me a bit we were best of friends.

i dare say that the little v=brown envelope gang are the reserves for future recruitment as it would be far too expensive to recruit again. At least that is a saving grace.

However if the police recruit again, even if I did get the job, I would apply just to give them a taste of their own medicine! lol

Not so nice is it NIPS!

weepete wrote: »
    Thats it getting paid to do something you love, makes it almost not like work, i once had the pleasure of meeting a NIPS general purpose dog and a sniffer dog, the sniffer dog was just a bundle of energy, however the 16 stone general purpose german shepard who was able to look at me in the eye cause he rested his paws on my shoulders and actually chewed through rubber batton rounds was just great, scary as hell but once he sniffed me a bit we were best of friends.

Where were you again on the merit placing?

I bet everyone will apply to PSNI again - so there could be spaces in the NIPS as a result of PSNI recruitment......

I just want one of these jobs - they should give you extra points for resilience just because you keep trying......

Anyway, how did most of you end up with massively better merit placings than psni C16, yet mine got worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Shawsy

Ok I got word that I'm in the top 200 on the merit list and I got the big brown envelope so is say they are looking at the top 200 first and the little brown envelopes are the reserve list!

There are bound to be drop outs and ppl who fail the security and medical checks so I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone :)

I have to say I'm so chuffed to have made the top 200-can't quite believe it!!

Can you edit your post to give a range rather than an exact placing?

The mods might remove the post otherwise.

Where were you again on the merit placing?

Top ten loki,

Can you edit your post to give a range rather than an exact placing?

The mods might remove the post otherwise.

Yea its a wee added security measure, i got scolded for almost reveling dates of the AC.

weepete wrote: »
    Yea its a wee added security measure, i got scolded for almost reveling dates of the AC.

My god thats impressive! How does it fell to be in the top 0.02%!

If you averaged your and mine merit numbers i still wouldn't be in, lol!

• Advertisement

My god thats impressive! How does it fell to be in the top 0.02%!

If you averaged your and mine merit numbers i still wouldn't be in, lol!

It feels a little surreal to be honest considering i did so badly in my PSNI attempts. Wasnt overly confident as in the observation test there was 3 questions i wasnt too sure on one i know i got wrong, so that was a possible 20% of the marks dropped there and the written didnt care for it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ShaneW1986

I sent my email to find out where I came merit wise yesterday and still no word back!?! How long did it take everyone else to hear back?

16mins

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Merit score as promised 20/30 range so well impressed with myself - scored 220/230 in the last PSNI one recently - Now I need to get my ass in gear and complete all the additional paperwork and get it back 67j

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

ShaneW1986 wrote: »
    I sent my email to find out where I came merit wise yesterday and still no word back!?! How long did it take everyone else to hear back?

Not as quick as wanna but within 2 hrs

At least you know you have veting and medical forms, so I'd guess your merit place is <250

Nice one 1967J - I bet you are well pleased with that placing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Trex450

ShaneW1986 wrote: »

about 9mins here. Did you send to address on the letterhead or the one that Wanadrum posted a few pages back?

31 mins to hear back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 hayes_1991

anyone know who is eligible to certify our ID's? Not much info on it, just says that you should provide a certified copy? e.g are nurses etc allowed to certify?

Advertisement