Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cowtown

euros1 wrote: »
    Hey cowtown, its very hard to get things like this first time as you don't know what to expect.u passed everything which is brilliant.my first time I failed ist.what range was ur merit number

400-450 :( grrrrr i thought i had it in the bag after i received the letter until i read this forum ! Looks like im stuck answering phones for a while yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

It's all gone a bit quiet on here.

I think the medical will be straight forward - like medical for armed forces etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭euros1

Hopefully medical will be ok - cant wait to get started - wonder would you be likely to get the prison you put first on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

sydnor wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what the medical will entail?

Pretty much ' bog standard ' medical I would guess - eyesight test using a Snellen chart , audiogram for hearing , drugs test , breathing , check for musculo-skeletal issues and the old reliable ' drop and cough ' ( for the men of course ).
    I would guess BMI will definitely be something they will look at also.

I done medical previously for nips and they didnt go into as much detail as that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

Hopefully medical will be ok - cant wait to get started - wonder would you be likely to get the prison you put first on the list.

I would guess they would offer the prison of choice to the people at the top of the list and work down so depending where you are on the list and the vacancies in each establishment, so you never do know
    Delancey wrote: »

Pretty much ' bog standard ' medical I would guess - eyesight test using a Snellen chart , audiogram for hearing , drugs test , breathing , check for musculo-skeletal issues and the old reliable ' drop and cough ' ( for the men of course ).
    I would guess BMI will definitely be something they will look at also.

Do you know if they check your eyesight with and without glasses and if so whats the sort of grade they're lookin for uncorrected. I wear glasses perfect vision with but not so perfect without.

I wear contact lenses - my last medical they made me read the wall chart with contacts in and then out.

Pete - I though the sight requirements were given in the application pack - and I don't think it was too tight - pretty much as long as it is 6/6 corrected it was ok.

What prison would yous most like to work in

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ShaneW1986

Hi folks just off the phone, they rang me back after emailing them as i put a bit in about the medical in my email! BMI is definetly going to be a part of the medical so for anyone that is a bit on the heavy or broad side like myself get your backsides into the gym and start being very picky about what you eat!

Got my Merit number back as well 180-200 just scraped through! She also told me they are currently only looking at the top 200 unfortunatly not the top 250 as some people were hoping, and that being closer to the end I should have a right while to get my self in gear and work on my BMI!

Just thought I would let you all know about the BMI asspect anyway!

1. Hyde Bank
    2. Maghaberry
    3. Maggilligan
    God I hope I dont get Magilligan its in the middle of no where!

• Advertisement

Hydebank or maghaberry

1. Maghaberry
    2. Hydebank
    3. Magilligan

What is the craic with BMI - how big or small do u have to be to not pass that aspect of the medical

Think Magilligan would be the easiest as its medium/low security - offenders near the end of their sentence whilst Maghaberry is Maximum security. I personally would prefer Maghaberry tbh

BMI works like this as far as im awear:
    • 0-20 under weight
    • 20-25 perfect
    • 25-30 over weight
    • 30-40 obese
    • 40-up morbidly obese
    You can get free apps for your smart phone or look up a website to work out your bmi its different for everyone you just put your info in like your height, weight, age, sex and hey presto it will tell u your bmi!

Id say you want it below 30 as much as possible but not under 20. For those of you that are big boned or broad, the british army also used the mesurment of 100 cm waist at narrowest point but it could be completly different for the prison service!

Cheers Shane just checked there - 24

Cheers Shane just checked there - 24

You have nothing to worry about then dude your sorted BMI wise!

good stuff - the rest of it should be ok aswell as the vetting - wonder when first group will be starting in Milisle. If 200 are being recruited I wonder will there be groups of around 20 going through training together - or would it be higher, wonder what all will be covered at training - said on info provided that we will all have to visit each of the establishments - that will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 29 chontour

emailed and just got a reply, im 470-480. :( aw well. more experience in the bank for the next psni that comes up :)

I know the feeling chontour - but there is still a chance depending on how many are took on and how many drop out or fail vetting/medical.

Did the PSNI not send you for a PCT if your bmi was above 30 or below 20, wonder will they do the same.

• Advertisement

wanadrum wrote: »
    Pete - I though the sight requirements were given in the application pack - and I don't think it was too tight - pretty much as long as it is 6/6 corrected it was ok.

Aye my eyesights 6/4 corrected which i thought was worse but turns out its better, uncorrected hmmmmmm we'll have to see what thay say

1. Maghaberry
    2. Hydebank
    3. Magilligan

same here weepete - u should be in first group to go through so u should be able to get Maghaberry then

same here weepete - u should be in first group to go through so u should be able to get Maghaberry then

Well a few more hurdles yet, just back from the pool and the sauna tryin to sweat a few pounds out.

Nice one.I'm into martial arts so if I get through I'm looking forward to control and restriant training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sydnor

Nice one.I'm into martial arts so if I get through I'm looking forward to control and restriant training
    Judo? :)

sydnor wrote: »
    Judo? :)

Ju Jitsu

What establishment would be your preference sydnor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sydnor

Ju Jitsu
    BJJ? I've been doing Judo for a few years. Love it but don't go nearly enough.

What establishment would be your preference sydnor

My choices:
    1. Magillian
    2. YOC
    3. Maghaberry.

• Advertisement

I train with the World Ju-Jitsu Federation Ireland - slightly different from Brazilian Ju Jitsu - been doing it for just over a year - reason I joined it was to learn effective self defence to help and prepare for this job. One of the senior Sensei's used to teach self defence to PO's in NIPS.

Advertisement