Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sydnor

euros1 wrote: »
    I train with the World Ju-Jitsu Federation Ireland - slightly different from Brazilian Ju Jitsu - been doing it for just over a year - reason I joined it was to learn effective self defence to help and prepare for this job. One of the senior Sensei's used to teach self defence to PO's in NIPS.

That's pretty good foresight then, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭euros1

Yeah its good - whats Judo like, ju jitsu involves a lot of ground work but isnt Judo more like Karate

Yeah its good - whats Judo like, ju jitsu involves a lot of ground work but isnt Judo more like Karate

No, no, no.

Judo is all about grappling although it has a strong focus on standing work, ie: throws but also has a large part dedicated to the ground: submissions, pins, etc.

For me the best thing about it is the fact you actually spar against a live opponent, can be a very physical sport at times. No striking or anything like that but it can still be rough. I love it :D

Brilliant (and cheap) exercise too.

Yeah we would spar against a live opponent aswell.its good craic.yeah good for fitness aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 24 steven123455

has anyone completed their online ctc yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ShaneW1986

weepete wrote: »
    Well a few more hurdles yet, just back from the pool and the sauna tryin to sweat a few pounds out.

Fair play lad but id be very weary about losing weight in a sanua, yes its a very very very low form of cardio as it elevates your heart rate every so slightly but most of the weight loss is through bodily fluids, which your just going to put straight back on as soon as you take a drink! But the pools a great form of cardio and really easy on the joints aswell!

For anyone in a really sticky situation there is a way to shed weight fast but you do so at your own risk I wouldnt advise anyone to do it, its just an option. A diet of fruit and water only will shed pounds rapidly if followed up with some cardio! I know one lad in the Irish Army who had to get his BMI down rapidly so he could be deployed overseas and this was how he went about it! Just make sure u have plenty of bog roll as its going to be running out of ya! :D

has anyone completed their online ctc yet?

Sent forms back but haven't received link to do it.u

• Registered Users Posts: 24 steven123455

Sent forms back but haven't received link to do it.u
    same still waiting on link being forwarded. sent mine back last week.

How common is it for people to have CTC clearance?

I'm cleared from my previous job and thought it would speed up my process by still having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

ShaneW1986 wrote: »
    Fair play lad but id be very weary about losing weight in a sanua, yes its a very very very low form of cardio as it elevates your heart rate every so slightly but most of the weight loss is through bodily fluids, which your just going to put straight back on as soon as you take a drink! But the pools a great form of cardio and really easy on the joints aswell!

For anyone in a really sticky situation there is a way to shed weight fast but you do so at your own risk I wouldnt advise anyone to do it, its just an option. A diet of fruit and water only will shed pounds rapidly if followed up with some cardio! I know one lad in the Irish Army who had to get his BMI down rapidly so he could be deployed overseas and this was how he went about it! Just make sure u have plenty of bog roll as its going to be running out of ya! :D

I will watch the diet and up the exercise to drop the BMI (fit but just big) but will keep this in mind for a boost

• Advertisement

sydnor wrote: »
    How common is it for people to have CTC clearance?

I'm cleared from my previous job and thought it would speed up my process by still having it.

I have basic check with my job but not enhanced - 67j

Did the PSNI not send you for a PCT if your bmi was above 30 or below 20, wonder will they do the same.

Done this with the PSNI and passed it - Not to bad but you have to be on your toes - very easy to fail if you make a mistake - 67j

1967J wrote: »
    Done this with the PSNI and passed it - Not to bad but you have to be on your toes - very easy to fail if you make a mistake - 67j

What was your BMI if you don't mind me asking?

What is PCT?

What was your BMI if you don't mind me asking?

When I started out it was easily above 35 - managed to get it to 30.5 by the time of the physical competency test (PCT) - assault course - probably sitting at about 32 - unfortunately always been on the larger side but will keep at it - I hear the fruit diet calling the week before my medical lol

When I started out it was easily above 35 - managed to get it to 30.5 by the time of the physical competency test (PCT) - assault course - probably sitting at about 32 - unfortunately always been on the larger side but will keep at it - I hear the fruit diet calling the week before my medical lol

I wonder how high it has to be before it becomes a problem. I'm sitting at around 28.5 at the moment but I wouldn't be considered seriously overweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Lads a few questions of you'se don't mind,

Are most of you from the south and if not would you identify yourself as nationalist or unionist?

I wonder how high it has to be before it becomes a problem. I'm sitting at around 28.5 at the moment but I wouldn't be considered seriously overweight.
    A BMI of that would be regarded as borderline obese unless its all muscle!

BMI isn't the greatest figure to go off though.

A BMI of that would be regarded as borderline obese unless its all muscle!

BMI isn't the greatest figure to go off though.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about.

Except I'm not obese, at least I don't think I am. Maybe I'm just a really fat man in severe denial.

Looks like this fruit flush diet has got a bit of merit then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

Well a few more hurdles yet, just back from the pool and the sauna tryin to sweat a few pounds out.

Cheers for that, used the sauna for relaxin the muscles after the swim, havent done it in a while so a bit achey, had a bottle of water with me to drink i know it sort of defeats the point but hey.

• Advertisement

Are most of you from the south and if not would you identify yourself as nationalist or unionist?

Im from the south and personally I wouldnt consider myself anything just someone that wants a good steady job in a time where they are few and far between.
    I hear the fruit diet calling the week before my medical lol

Personnally lad I would advise you to do it a lot sonner that the last week if you were thinking of doing it, as it will have different loss times for everyone, also it could affect you blood sugar and pressure and any number of things so you will want to be going back on to a normal diet for the couple of weeks before your medical to allow your body to readjust otherwise you could end up getting failed on something completly unrelated to your BMI!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Not that I mind answering - but would you mind telling us all why you are asking? I notice you don't mention your own veiws in your post.

I am not from the south and I would consider myself a unionist.

I'm not really sure of what relevance this is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

wanadrum wrote: »
    Not that I mind answering - but would you mind telling us all why you are asking? I notice you don't mention your own veiws in your post.

I am not from the south and I would consider myself a unionist.

I'm not really sure of what relevance this is though.

I too am curious as to the reason for the question.

I think it shows a major shift that people from the south or a nationalist background would join a group like this which was infamous for its sectarianism

Cannot comment re the NIPS but with the PSNI if BMI was above 30 then a PCT was required to show that you had the ability and fitness required - 67J

I think it shows a major shift that people from the south or a nationalist background would join a group like this which was infamous for its sectarianism

There was nothing stopping the catholics from joining they were just to scared incase they got their brains blowen out by u know who! Its still very much a threat for anyone who joins the NIPS! Sad theres still some people out there that think violence will change things in the north! If the north wanted to be part of the south all they need is 40% of the population to say so and there will be a referrendum so obviously 60% or more want to remain part of the uk get over it!

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about.

Except I'm not obese, at least I don't think I am. Maybe I'm just a really fat man in severe denial.

Looks like this fruit flush diet has got a bit of merit then.

You and me both lol - to add insult to injury they will most likely go off the data that you input on the application form - this would be checked during the medical - 67j

Im from the south and personally I wouldnt consider myself anything just someone that wants a good steady job in a time where they are few and far between.

Agree with those comments - exactly the reasons I am looking at it

Personnally lad I would advise you to do it a lot sonner that the last week if you were thinking of doing it, as it will have different loss times for everyone, also it could affect you blood sugar and pressure and any number of things so you will want to be going back on to a normal diet for the couple of weeks before your medical to allow your body to readjust otherwise you could end up getting failed on something completly unrelated to your BMI!

Thanks for that -Diet generally is good but just needs to be improved - I will probably throw a couple of 3 day detoxs into the mix over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

I don't really think this forum is the place to discuss this, but I simply do not agree with what you have said there.

I'd agree that there may have been a major shift in that it is harder to get a good job, and the threat from terrorists is less than it previously was allow more people to consider the role.

I do not think that it is fair to say the prison service was sectarian.

Back on track.

Have you applied?

• Advertisement

wanadrum wrote: »
    I don't really think this forum is the place to discuss this, but I simply do not agree with what you have said there.

I'd agree that there may have been a major shift in that it is harder to get a good job, and the threat from terrorists is less than it previously was allow more people to consider the role.

I do not think that it is fair to say the prison service was sectarian.

Back on track.

Have you applied?
    I didn't say it was a good or a bad thing! I'd lean towards the former and tbh if you think that the NIPS was not a sectarian organization you are off the mark - just ask the thousands who went through the H - Blocks, there's a reason why they have been given massive pay offs to retire.

Like the PSNI I think its good that non sectarian and nationalist people are joining.

No I havent applied but I think its good that so many decent folk have!

Advertisement