Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

I didn't say it was a good or a bad thing! I'd lean towards the former and tbh if you think that the NIPS was not a sectarian organization you are off the mark - just ask the thousands who went through the H - Blocks, there's a reason why they have been given massive pay offs to retire.

Like the PSNI I think its good that non sectarian and nationalist people are joining.

No I havent applied but I think its good that so many decent folk have!

You can't tell me my opinion is way off the mark - it is simply my opinion.

I wouldn't base my opinions on what ex-prisoners would say to be honest. I'm pretty sure most ex-prisoners, regardless of their religion/political opinion aren't too keen on prisons/prison officers in general.

I think that it is wholly unfair to make broad statements which categorise the whole organisation as sectarian, it is far too easy just to make such statements.

Again, I don't really think that this forum is the appropriate place to continue discussing this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sydnor

Don't think this thread is the place for this to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

So moving swiftly on.... Everybody got all their forms filled in.

Doing mine tomorrow. Collecting the stuff from the Dr on Monday.

Then wait, wait, wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Filled mine in today - will get them posted tomorrow - to collect Dr details on Tuesday and will forward them on - Just need to wait on log on details - 67

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

sydnor wrote: »
    Don't think this thread is the place for this to be honest.

Mod Note - Couldn't have put it better myself.

This thread is for the discussion of the recruitment process and is for the benefit of all those who have applied to NIPS.
    Without doubt the role of prisons and prisoners in the ' Troubles ' was a hugely significant one and worthy of discussion - but on another forum.

Back on topic please and thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 hayes_1991

I definately hate waiting, though to think it has been quite a while since we all first applied. Take it no one has got there email to say to fill in forms?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

just back from holidays and got the med. and vetting letters today woo

swl33t wrote: »
    just back from holidays and got the med. and vetting letters today woo

Well done, if your interested and i'm sure you are e-mail the address below and you can find out your merit placing,
    wanadrum wrote: »
    I sent an e-mail to:

NIPSRecruitment@dojni.x.gsi.gov.uk

They were super fast to reply. That is one thing I like about this process it has been quick compared to PSNI one.

weepete wrote: »
    Well done, if your interested and i'm sure you are e-mail the address below and you can find out your merit placing,

cheers, just sent it off there! How'd you get on?

• Advertisement

cheers, just sent it off there! How'd you get on?

Got in the top ten which i was very surprised at!

I happenned to be pasing Magiligan at he weekend - don't fancy having to head up there everyday.

why so? got my merit placing, between 170-180 so happy enough

Just the travelling really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 steven123455

Was reading the NIPS corporate plan 2011-2015 on doj website. Quite interesting. It says that they plan to have the first batch of recruits operational by the end of the year and in post by end of October and that all new recruits will be available for appointment by march next year. Also something i wasnt aware of is that the new custody officers will also have responsibilities in being offender supervisors and are responsible for their rehabilitation whilst in Prison. It also says that the NIPS will be working with the universities to provide formal qualifications for its staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Shawsy

Was reading the NIPS corporate plan 2011-2015 on doj website. Quite interesting. It says that they plan to have the first batch of recruits operational by the end of the year and in post by end of October and that all new recruits will be available for appointment by march next year. Also something i wasnt aware of is that the new custody officers will also have responsibilities in being offender supervisors and are responsible for their rehabilitation whilst in Prison. It also says that the NIPS will be working with the universities to provide formal qualifications for its staff.

I heard a rumour that all new Custody Officers are being put through a degree as part of the training programme - not sure how reliable the source was however so don't take it as gospel, just something I heard!
    Will be interesting to see I guess :)

I know that you have to do an nvq in custodial care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Shawsy

Yea I thought it was very unlikely that they would fund a degree for every new recruit and I was aware there was a custodial care qualification so the chances are that is the qualification they are referring to!
    Chinese whispers as usual :)

Hmmmm very interesting by the sounds of it this reform plan is going to be quiet radical, as for the "all new recruits will be available for appointment by march next year" do you think thats how long it'll take this 200 to get the basic training or will they be lookin at the boys and girls lower down the merit list to start the ball rolling on this reform.

Also as we would be responisble for there rehabilitation that could be fun, one minute your tryin to be a mentor and best friend the next you have then pinned to the wall slappin on the cuffs, i've been in a similar situaton there, the day aftter the second incident can be quiet interesting.

Hmmmm very interesting by the sounds of it this reform plan is going to be quiet radical, as for the "all new recruits will be available for appointment by march next year" do you think thats how long it'll take this 200 to get the basic training or will they be lookin at the boys and girls lower down the merit list to start the ball rolling on this reform.

Also as we would be responisble for there rehabilitation that could be fun, one minute your tryin to be a mentor and best friend the next you have then pinned to the wall slappin on the cuffs, i've been in a similar situaton there, the day aftter the second incident can be quiet interesting.

I would guess that they would work they way through the merit list. anyone thats high up i would think would start at end of October. Do you have any idea how long the training is at millisle and is it a case you can live there or do you have to commute every day?

• Advertisement

I would guess that they would work they way through the merit list. anyone thats high up i would think would start at end of October. Do you have any idea how long the training is at millisle and is it a case you can live there or do you have to commute every day?

I would imagine it would be similar to the PSNI if there is a residential part of training we all would move up and you can apply to live at garnerville for the whole duration of your from down south or far west of the north etc. but to be honest i cant see there bein a need for a residential at the NIPS no real need for darkness to practise night training, but i could be wrong, but if you need a place to stay there's 80 prision cells at millisle you could claim your very own 6 by 8 foot cell.

You from down south yourself.

I would imagine it would be similar to the PSNI if there is a residential part of training we all would move up and you can apply to live at garnerville for the whole duration of your from down south or far west of the north etc. but to be honest i cant see there bein a need for a residential at the NIPS no real need for darkness to practise night training, but i could be wrong, but if you need a place to stay there's 80 prision cells at millisle you could claim your very own 6 by 8 foot cell.

You from down south yourself.

about 2 miles from millisle lol.

about 2 miles from millisle lol.

Nice any free rooms?

Spoke with recruitment the other day and was told September is the planned start date - could not be any more specific than that so could be start, middle or end of the month - be interesting to hear more on this - they did confirm a lot of info is still being sorted at the moment.

Has anyone received their log on details for completion of the online info as yet - How long did it take to receive?? 67j

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Trex450

A little hope maybe for those down the merit list a bit...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17988272

all very interesting stuff, bangor is 80 odd miles from where I live so a residential would obviously be preferable to save countless hours of travelling!

all very interesting stuff, bangor is 80 odd miles from where I live so a residential would obviously be preferable to save countless hours of travelling!
    Likewise.

1967J wrote: »
    Has anyone received their log on details for completion of the online info as yet - How long did it take to receive?? 67j

I left down all my forms well over a week ago and still havent recieved the link so id say it takes a bit of time.

• Advertisement

in one of the articles it says "a salary of up to a maximum of 23000 per year" im assuming the only way to increase this is via promotion?

Advertisement