Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Hopefully they send out an info pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Munsterlad2012

Anyone have an idea what the IST test will consist of

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Buzz35

Dont think anybody knows much about the ist's or the ac's. Suppose its the first campaign for years so the formatt will be anyones guess.

Buzz35 wrote: »
    Dont think anybody knows much about the ist's or the ac's. Suppose its the first campaign for years so the formatt will be anyones guess.
    True enough I suppose. Should be ok tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Anyone have an idea what the IST test will consist of

I dunno anything about the Prison Service IST , but if it is anything like the PSNI test I can tell you that time management is absolutely fundamental to getting a decent score.
    In the PSNI test the questions in themselves are not difficult , the problem is getting them all done in the very limited time allowed.

I strongly advise to bring a watch or stopwatch with you to measure your time use ( they almost certainly will not allow mobile phones to be used for timekeeping purposes ). Do not get bogged down - if you do you've had it.
    If you have 10 seconds left and 10 unanswered q's then tick something for them all - you may get lucky.
    In the PSNI test the key is time management - if you don't manage your time then you're in trouble.

One more thing - they will almost certainly insist on specific photo ID at the test - probably passport , driving licence or Northern Ireland Electoral Identity Card . Be sure to bring the specific ID sought - don't think a Student ID will be accepted for 1 minute because it won't.
    At a PSNI test I saw a member of the Royal Navy denied admission to the test because he thought his navy ID would be acceptable - it was not.

Good luck !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sydnor

The salary is a bit dissapointing.

£23,000 after a year's probation isn't too shabby IMO.

Anyone know what the training schedule is? It there a residential period etc?
    There will be. During the last campaign a couple of years ago the training period was six weeks.

sydnor wrote: »
    The salary is a bit dissapointing.

£23,000 after a year's probation isn't too shabby IMO.
    It's ok money for anyone down south being paid in sterling into a uk bank

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

anyone any idea of test dates/locations yet???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

any link lads and ladies?

I cant find it

:O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

competition closed on the 2nd of march im afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭kravmaga

triple-M wrote: »

The salary on offer is very poor.

If you are applying from ROI you will have to take into account re-settlement expenses, rent, setting up a bank account in NI for salary.

Plus your going to be dealing with nasty individuals and whether you would be able to rely on your work colleagues is questionable being from ROI and all that goes with it....

However best of luck to anyone who is interested.

kravmaga wrote: »
    able to rely on your work colleagues is questionable being from ROI and all that goes with it....

What experiences have you had that makes you think it would be questionable?

gary71 wrote: »
    able to rely on your work colleagues is questionable being from ROI and all that goes with it....

That **** kravmaga is saying would turn u off going for it

Working in a environment where others may want to hurt you changes how you look at a person, having the ability to watch your colleagues back is one of the most important qualities your judged on(that and not starting grief). When you are being assaulted and you can hear your mates coming a running or you need to walk in to a cell knowing your colleague is a step behind you, then you build a bond which I think is stronger than anything else and you just don't care about their background, it's just not important, I have never worked in Ireland, North or South but I do not believe any PO would leave a Fellow PO to be hurt, I think the idea is silly.

I found that a PO who didn't stand when required soon lost respect and trust which is a lonely place to be.

Plenty of experiences Gary.

I am not going to mention on a public forum like this however.

Plenty of experiences Gary.

I am not going to mention on a public forum like this however.

I'v worked in prisons in London and that's what my views are based on, have you ever worked as a PO in the North?

I just find it very hard to believe a PO would leave another PO hanging because of where their from or their religion, now I have been put in a couple of bad spots because my colleague walked away in the other direction when it kicked off:eek: but that's more to do with them loosing their bottle than anything else.

I'm not going to post on this again as I don't want to hijack the thread;) good luck to anyone applying.

I'v worked in prisons in London and that's what my views are based on, have you ever worked as a PO in the North?

I just find it very hard to believe a PO would leave another PO hanging because of where their from or their religion, now I have been put in a couple of bad spots because my colleague walked away in the other direction when it kicked off:eek: but that's more to do with them loosing their bottle than anything else.

I'm not going to post on this again as I don't want to hijack the thread;) good luck to anyone applying.

If your English living in London why are you implying that your have knowledge of how the NIPS works???

What the Hell is being implied here?

The salary on offer is very poor.

If you are applying from ROI you will have to take into account re-settlement expenses, rent, setting up a bank account in NI for salary.

Plus your going to be dealing with nasty individuals and whether you would be able to rely on your work colleagues is questionable being from ROI and all that goes with it....

However best of luck to anyone who is interested.

• Advertisement

I hope Im reading that wrong!

Kravmaga has posted that he has plenty of experience of why you can't rely on a Northen PO if your a PO from the South, I personally find it hard to believe any PO would allow a inmate to hurt another PO no matter what the circumstances.

Again I don't want to hijack this thread it's just I strongly believe any new recruit shouldn't be fearing his own as trust is a integral Part of the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I have never heard of any PSNI officers from the Republic who doubted their colleagues would back them up when needed - can't see why PO's would be different.

anybody heard anything back yet?

Yep. Applicants are receiving the dates for the aptitude test.

sydnor wrote: »

Yep. Applicants are receiving the dates for the aptitude test.
    I received a letter saying that my application has been unsuccessful because I didn't fill out the equality form, after I distinctly remember filling it out.

No, damn!

Actually, just got my letter to attend an aptitude test. Phew, at least I know where my application form ended up.

Yep, got my letter too. By the wording none of us should expect to here back about results any-time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

Got my letter inviting me to the aptitude test too, thought it was very short notice and I am away on holiday on the date, I rang to see if I could reschedule and was told unfortunately not due to the high volume of applicants! ..So now I have to decide whether to go on holiday or not! :(

Advertisement