Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭missyk1

Shawsy wrote: »
    euros1 wrote: »
    Thanks 1967J, rang this morn and they weren't at all concerned that I hadn't heard anything yet-just told me to hang tight, so as u say not sure how they are going about the medicals-cud it be alphabetical??

I'm mid alphabet

Well then I doubt thats it then - i'm near the end of the alphabet, just wondered if it was a possibility but if you are only mid alphabet then maybe not!?

Never even thought about the uniform - gonna look gorgeous for the women then? haha

Haha euros1 boom boom and there was me thinking up until earlier that you were a girl too lol ;). Craic will be mighty :)

Ps. I'm halfway in alphabet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Shawsy

missyk1 wrote: »
    Haha euros1 boom boom and there was me thinking up until earlier that you were a girl too lol ;). Craic will be mighty :)

Ps. I'm halfway in alphabet

I'm looking forward to getting started even more now - sounds like everyone is gonna be a good laugh :)

Nothing to do with alphabet then.....ah well maybe its just random? No point worrying I guess, just hoping I get my letter today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭euros1

Lol all man lol.yeah the craic will be 90.can't wait

Lol all man lol.yeah the craic will be 90.can't wait[/Quote]

All man ?! I'd better not post my reply on a public forum, it will wait until training college ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

Well then I doubt thats it then - i'm near the end of the alphabet, just wondered if it was a possibility but if you are only mid alphabet then maybe not!?

Never even thought about the uniform - gonna look gorgeous for the women then? haha

Ps. I'm halfway in alphabet[/Quote]

Lol all man lol.yeah the craic will be 90.can't wait[/Quote]

• Advertisement

lol

Oh dear!! hahaha

Have any of yas ever worked nights before, im thinking it will be hard to get used to sleeping during the day.

Have any of yas ever worked nights before, im thinking it will be hard to get used to sleeping during the day.

No but I know a few ppl who do nightshift at the moment and love it - they say it takes a while to get used to it but its great when you do!

Plus I could sleep standing up so I think i'll prob be grand :)

weepete wrote: »
    Well i picked up somewhere your standard week is 32 hours ish normally 4 x 8 hour shifts for a week or two then something like 3 x 12 hour night / graveyard shifts something similar to police etc. but a fellow applicant i am friends with told me a friend of his is in the service and only does night shifts, the bosses were tryin to get them to do normal rotation to get the experience back on the landings, but to cut a long story short, too late i hear you cry, i heard the salary was based on a 32 or 36 hour week, with the possibility of overtime, but as was discussed way earlier on this thread, they are planning to get rid of the expensive overtime, but to do so they would need more staff!

cheers for that, makes the wage seem a bit better if its only a 32 hour week as opposed to a 40+hour week! postman has came today, got my access NI certificate so thats something, im guessing that's not the same as the ctc?

• Advertisement

Yes I used too and it was hard going then but might suit me better now to tie in with the school runs :)

swl33t wrote: »
    cheers for that, makes the wage seem a bit better if its only a 32 hour week as opposed to a 40+hour week! postman has came today, got my access NI certificate so thats something, im guessing that's not the same as the ctc?

No thats just your police check - your CTC is a security check so that would be seperate! They said it could take 8 weeks so I don't think i'll be getting mine back for another few weeks yet.

No medical still?

No but I know a few ppl who do nightshift at the moment and love it - they say it takes a while to get used to it but its great when you do!

Yeah I dont mind the sound of it - would reckin it would be a handy shift as the prisoners in cells. Will mess up eating patterns for a while I would say until get used to it -will feel weird eating lunch and tea in middle of the night. Going to Millisle will be some journey everyday - takes over an hour to get there it says on google maps and that doesnt take into account traffic queues in the morning.

32 hour week sounds too short, I would imagine 38 - 40 hrs. I hope that is right but I doubt it.

Yeah I dont mind the sound of it - would reckin it would be a handy shift as the prisoners in cells. Will mess up eating patterns for a while I would say until get used to it -will feel weird eating lunch and tea in middle of the night. Going to Millisle will be some journey everyday - takes over an hour to get there it says on google maps and that doesnt take into account traffic queues in the morning.

I guess there may be the option to stay there while doing the training rather than travel everyday - thats something I might look into but will see what is available at the time I guess!

i dread this journey with all my heart lol

I imagine you will have to live in for the first few weeks, same as police college !

missyk1 wrote: »
    I imagine you will have to live in for the first few weeks, same as police college !

For their previous campaign you didnt have to stay there, Im going to drive everyday - think the craic would be amazing staying there but to much to do at home

32 hour week sounds too short, I would imagine 38 - 40 hrs. I hope that is right but I doubt it.

It says 39 hours a week in the candidate booklet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

Was only a few hours out, but that could be a way of avoiding paying overtime, one week you work 32 next week 37 wont pay you over time cause contracted to 39! But we'll all figure it out when we get there,

If there is no residential bit of training you could always just sleep in on of the 80 cells up at millisle!

• Advertisement

Thats right it does, it also says it is under review so it could be more - or hopefully less lol

Id love to learn more about the salary - I have a feeling it will take a few years to get up to 23k, it could be 18k for a while. Has anyone discussed this with recruitment recently.

weepete wrote: »
    Was only a few hours out, but that could be a way of avoiding paying overtime, one week you work 32 next week 37 wont pay you over time cause contracted to 39! But we'll all figure it out when we get there,

If there is no residential bit of training you could always just sleep in on of the 80 cells up at millisle!

Yes I think it mentioned that the 39 hours is the weekly amount but that it will be distributed throughout the month depending on shift rotas so doesn't really give an idea of what the working pattern will be - we will know when we start I suppose :)

Think I might opt for the travelling instead of the steps weepete haha :)

Id love to learn more about the salary - I have a feeling it will take a few years to get up to 23k, it could be 18k for a while. Has anyone discussed this with recruitment recently.

I took from what it says in the booklet that its 18k while training and until you pass the course we have to do (which I think it said normally takes 18 to 24 months) and then after that you go up to 23k.

I could be totally wrong though as it wasn't that clear - I think it will all depend on how quickly you progress through all the various stages? Its all a bit vague isn't it? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

Dont know if it would be too handy anymore, not after the suicide of an inmate while on suicide watch, which is the case that sparked the reform, and the suicide of two inmates in the last month both at night, that would be some of the hardest shifts to deal with. However i think it will be a proper shift pattern of a 2weeks of days and a week of nights etc. the job i'm currently in is a mixture of both so my body clock is messed up as there is no pattern to it at all.

I took from what it says in the booklet that its 18k while training and until you pass the course we have to do (which I think it said normally takes 18 to 24 months) and then after that you go up to 23k.

I could be totally wrong though as it wasn't that clear - I think it will all depend on how quickly you progress through all the various stages? Its all a bit vague isn't it? :(

It is - think they would really need to let us know before we start - Il be taking it no matter what the salary is but would love to know how long it will take to be on 23k and then what happens after that - I wouldnt want to be on that forever - I posted earlier a link where NIPS salary was dicussed but dont know if this is set in stone - also when we are in and after we get nvq in custodial care is there any other exams we can sit to get higher up the scale, does being a dog handler get u more money or being in the riot squad (or whatever the term is). Would love to know all this info

i would love to do TSG, always wanted to do that in the PSNI

It is - think they would really need to let us know before we start - Il be taking it no matter what the salary is but would love to know how long it will take to be on 23k and then what happens after that - I wouldnt want to be on that forever - I posted earlier a link where NIPS salary was dicussed but dont know if this is set in stone - also when we are in and after we get nvq in custodial care is there any other exams we can sit to get higher up the scale, does being a dog handler get u more money or being in the riot squad (or whatever the term is). Would love to know all this info

Well I know a few people in the service already who seem to be saying that there are other courses that they haven't mentioned to us yet but again I don't know how reliable that is - I would like to think there is the option for progressing on to a higher post in years to come but I can't see that being something we will find out about until we are in post!

Like you I will be taking the job regardless of the money - i'm even arranging to move back in with the parents and rent out my house as I won't be able to afford it all on the 18k but that is a small price to pay for a job you enjoy :)

i would love to do TSG, always wanted to do that in the PSNI

I like the sound of that

• Advertisement

How excited are we all !!! :)

Advertisement