Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

missyk1 wrote: »
    How excited are we all !!! :)

Very

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭euros1

Would like to work long shifts so may only have to do 4 of them a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭missyk1

Just been to see top cat and it was set mostly in prison, it's a sign lol ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Chimera9938

Hello all. Stumbled across this forum and nearly gave myself a heart attack when I read how far through the recruitment process you are. I received a letter on 14th June informing me that I had been successful at asessement centre and to wait further instructions. Having read your posts I contacted the recruitment branch. Am sorry to say that I'm late 200 in order of merit so I can't see my being successful. Recruitment officer told me that the next batch of letters are enroute and believed I would be amongst them.

Hello all. Stumbled across this forum and nearly gave myself a heart attack when I read how far through the recruitment process you are. I received a letter on 14th June informing me that I had been successful at asessement centre and to wait further instructions. Having read your posts I contacted the recruitment branch. Am sorry to say that I'm late 200 in order of merit so I can't see my being successful. Recruitment officer told me that the next batch of letters are enroute and believed I would be amongst them.

Ya never know, if they are looking for more than 200 ur still in with a shout

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Shawsy

Hi Chimera9938!!
    I think it seems to be anybody who was lower than the top 200 were put on a waiting list and sent the letter you received, however the fact that recruitment have told you they are sending another batch of letters is encouraging - that would mean that they are going to be able to consider some of the waiting list and you could still be in :)

I know its such a hard process to go through and I am still concerned that I won't get through but we just have to keep our fingers crossed.

Good luck!

Received my access ni certificate in the post this morning so although still no medical at least thats another thing ticked off the list :)

Well I would be surprised to say the least. Seems a laborious process. I am confused as to how many posts actually require filling. I hear many different theories. Oh well.

Well I would be surprised to say the least. Seems a laborious process. I am confused as to how many posts actually require filling. I hear many different theories. Oh well.

I know - when they advertised it and when the media covered it at the beginning they said up to 200 jobs but I guess that could have changed.
    Who knows if they are taking the full 200 from the start or only taking some and then the rest at a later date or indeed if they decide they need more than the 200?

Its all a guessing game unfortunately :(

Recruitment officer told me that the next batch of letters are enroute and believed I would be amongst them.[/QUOTE]

Let us know if its good news

• Advertisement

euros1 wrote: »
    Recruitment officer told me that the next batch of letters are enroute and believed I would be amongst them.

Let us know if its good news[/QUOTE]

Will do. Good luck to all of you.

Let us know if its good news

Will do. Good luck to all of you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Was talking to an officer in NIPS there and he said that some of the Night Custody Officers are changing to become Custody Officers - I originally thought all officers were being changed to Custody Officers so maybe we wont have as much night shifts to do as originally thought

Was talking to an officer in NIPS there and he said that some of the Night Custody Officers are changing to become Custody Officers - I originally thought all officers were being changed to Custody Officers so maybe we wont have as much night shifts to do as originally thought

Oh interesting!! To be honest it doesn't bother me if its day or night shift - I just like the idea of getting all your weekly hours out of the way in 8 or 12 hours shifts lol

Shawsy wrote: »

Oh interesting!! To be honest it doesn't bother me if its day or night shift - I just like the idea of getting all your weekly hours out of the way in 8 or 12 hours shifts lol

Me too, can't wait to get a day off during the week !! :)

Wonder will we be working every other weekend or will it be one in three or four - we have so many questions but no answers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

Wonder will we be working every other weekend or will it be one in three or four - we have so many questions but no answers

I know in the PSNI you get 2 in 5 weekends off, don't have a clue about NIPS, wonder if it's similar, would be great if we only have to work one in 3 or 4!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

As it doesnt get any busier during the weekends if anything quietier, with no court transfers, etc but then you'll have visiting, there wont be a "weekend" in the rota it'll just be 100 officers on everyday or something to that effect but they'll try and organise a fair and equal system.

I don't care I just want that 'letter'

And sooner the better :)

At last!!! Medical next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Well done you - relief or what - 67j

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

re the saIary think I posted a while back details will be provided in the letter of offer - as it is clear a lot about the role is still up in the air and it has not been the most informative campaign - all this from the recruitment team - for one I am hoping that the 18k covers of the initial period of training with an increment and possibly a further increment upon completion of the course. From memory the PSNI started on about 19k and upon passing out (approx 6 months) it increased to 23k ish. When you consider the exisitng staff will be on considerably more, it could be an issue- 67j

Well done you - relief or what - 67j[/Quote]

Thanks, yeah big relief.happy days

Excellent !!

1967J wrote: »
    re the saIary think I posted a while back details will be provided in the letter of offer - as it is clear a lot about the role is still up in the air and it has not been the most informative campaign - all this from the recruitment team - for one I am hoping that the 18k covers of the initial period of training with an increment and possibly a further increment upon completion of the course. From memory the PSNI started on about 19k and upon passing out (approx 6 months) it increased to 23k ish. When you consider the exisitng staff will be on considerably more, it could be an issue- 67j

Yeah I wonder will anyone get employment offer and reject it cause of the pay.il definately take it as its all I want to work in unless Brendan Rodgers decides to come over and scout me to take Andy Carrolls place up front for the mighty Liverpool. That's doubtful lol

Yeah I wonder will anyone get employment offer and reject it cause of the pay.il definately take it as its all I want to work in unless Brendan Rodgers decides to come over and scout me to take Andy Carrolls place up front for the mighty Liverpool. That's doubtful lol

I'm 80% sure I'm taking it :)

PSNI salary is a lot more attractive - Starts off at £23,259 and goes up to £25,962 after training and then up to £27,471 after 2 years probation, with yearly increments thereafter of around £1,000.

NIPS salary is pish for the work we are doing in my opinion, and I have a bad feeling the 23K is the highest end of the salary scale, promotion will be required to earn more. Really hope I'm wrong.

PSNI salary is a lot more attractive - Starts off at £23,259 and goes up to £25,962 after training and then up to £27,471 after 2 years probation, with yearly increments thereafter of around £1,000.

NIPS salary is pish for the work we are doing in my opinion, and I have a bad feeling the 23K is the highest end of the salary scale, promotion will be required to earn more. Really hope I'm wrong.[/

I hope ur wrong but I think u are right.all there will probably be is cost of living rises until promoted.after we hit 23k. Do u think we would get extra.money cause of the dangers of the job.think the psni do.we will have to start checking under our cars everytime we r getting into them etc and not be able to tell anyone wat we work at.wat do ya say if someone asks.do we say we work for the civil service-but when someone says that ya sort of think they r in the police or something- or am I just being stupid

I hope ur wrong but I think u are right.all there will probably be is cost of living rises until promoted.after we hit 23k. Do u think we would get extra.money cause of the dangers of the job.think the psni do.we will have to start checking under our cars everytime we r getting into them etc and not be able to tell anyone wat we work at.wat do ya say if someone asks.do we say we work for the civil service-but when someone says that ya sort of think they r in the police or something- or am I just being stupid

I know the PSNI special allowance or 'danger money' was cut some years back but to my knowledge they still receive something. Don't know whether it's included in those pay scales or not. Guess we will just have to wait and see with the NIPS salary, they don't seem to be too sure themselves!

Yeah it's all very exciting now but we'll have to be very vigilant and security conscious. My friends next door neighbour who's in the job has been out of his house for over 6 months due to recurring threats.

Haha no I know what you mean - that's exactly what I think when someone says that! You can spot peelers a mile off on nights out as well - wonder if we'll be the same! Think I'll just tell people I work as the job I do now - at least I know it inside out!

• Advertisement

I still haven't had word about mine-I really am beginning to panic now :(

Advertisement