Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

euros1 wrote: »
    It's just a waiting game.the next news to be heard will hopefully be offer of employment.

Heres hoping - along with some details of the actual location, role and shifts etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭euros1

Yeah definately want to know the shifts.think in most cases we will get the prison we chose.I really hope so

Yeah definately want to know the shifts.think in most cases we will get the prison we chose.I really hope so

I suppose for the first few groups in, this may be the case - but there may also be the situation where not all prisons actually require additional staff - depends upon where the redundancies have had the biggest impact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

1967J wrote: »

I suppose for the first few groups in, this may be the case - but there may also be the situation where not all prisons actually require additional staff - depends upon where the redundancies have had the biggest impact

To be honest if each prison didnt get awarded an equal share of the redundancies i would imagine a lot of officers looking out of maghaberry due to the different higher risk situation compares to the other prisons, but the NIPS may want to fill some of them lost officers with us and most of them with experienced officers from other prisons, leaving a void in the other prisons that need filled. I know a lot of us have maghaberry down as our first choice but i've recently comsidered changing my order of preferred prisons.

I have Maghaberry as my first choice and its definately the one I want.just the location of it is the reason.

• Advertisement

weepete wrote: »
    To be honest if each prison didnt get awarded an equal share of the redundancies i would imagine a lot of officers looking out of maghaberry due to the different higher risk situation compares to the other prisons, but the NIPS may want to fill some of them lost officers with us and most of them with experienced officers from other prisons, leaving a void in the other prisons that need filled. I know a lot of us have maghaberry down as our first choice but i've recently comsidered changing my order of preferred prisons.

I contacted recruitment and asked to do this - Had maghaberry as first choice but changed to Hyde bank - reason really down to travel - initially did not think I would get this far so opted to work away from home - only about 25 miles but as the reality dawns I might actually get in have looked to work closer to home as I will have a substantial paycut - so anywhere I can save money is a bonus - However not to say it will make any difference

If we were lucky enough to get this job and PSNI were recruiting again say next year would any of yas apply for it.just wondering.Personally I wouldn't want to be a Police Officer but I would say it would be more attractive to most people and I know a lot of yous guys/girls applied before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

If we were lucky enough to get this job and PSNI were recruiting again say next year would any of yas apply for it.just wondering.Personally I wouldn't want to be a Police Officer but I would say it would be more attractive to most people and I know a lot of yous guys/girls applied before.

Without a second thought. It's all I want to do.

..Only wish they were recruiting next year!!

Depends upon the opportunities in this role - I will look to the best opportunities for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sydnor

Yeah, it depends on my situation at the time. If I was in the Prison Service by that time, probably not. The hours are more sociable in the NIPS and the job itself seems to be relatively safer, both on and off duty.

There's also the fact that you can fail PSNI training and not be offered a position, meaning you'd have left one job only to be fired from another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

sydnor wrote: »
    There's also the fact that you can fail PSNI training and not be offered a position, meaning you'd have left one job only to be fired from another.

I would imagine the same thing could happen in the NIPS - I presume one could fail their training also ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sydnor

Delancey wrote: »
    I would imagine the same thing could happen in the NIPS - I presume one could fail their training also ?

I imagine so, but the point I was making is the risk of leaving a secure career with the NIPS and taking the chance that you will pass PSNI training might not be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

sydnor wrote: »
    I imagine so, but the point I was making is the risk of leaving a secure career with the NIPS and taking the chance that you will pass PSNI training might not be worth it.

Ah , I follow you . Main reason people fail PSNI training tends to be by failing the fitness tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭missyk1

Good question though
    Not sure I would want too anymore !

I spoke to recruitment , start date is def start of September and although they will try and give 4 weeks notice that
    Might not be possible in this case !

missyk1 wrote: »
    I spoke to recruitment , start date is def start of September and although they will try and give 4 weeks notice that
    Hope I'm in that September group,wish this CTC clearance would hurry up and get completed.still says in progress

When did you talk with them - Did they give an actual date or did they just say they were hoping for the start of September - 67j

Hope I'm in that September group,wish this CTC clearance would hurry up and get completed.still says in progress

same here and i don't care anymore if its not 4 weeks notice !

When did you talk with them - Did they give an actual date or did they just say they were hoping for the start of September - 67j

spoke to them Thursday morn and yes start of September, I said could it be the end now with time moving on and she said no definately the start, took my name and said providing ctc ok you should get a letter in the near future !

spoke to them Thursday morn and yes start of September, I said could it be the end now with time moving on and she said no definately the start, took my name and said providing ctc ok you should get a letter in the near future !

Here's hoping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 hayes_2012

At least my CTC vetting has been completed and Access NI checks. So now just waiting on some news of a medical and ill be in the same postion as some of you guys. Starting to worry about why I havent heard anything about medical yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

hayes_2012 wrote: »
    At least my CTC vetting has been completed and Access NI checks. So now just waiting on some news of a medical and ill be in the same postion as some of you guys. Starting to worry about why I havent heard anything about medical yet.

as am i!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Shawsy

hayes_2012 wrote: »

Me too! I haven't heard about a medical yet and I really don't understand why.

:(

Guys when did all your ctc become completed and why is mine still
    "in progress " :(

Guys when did all your ctc become completed and why is mine still
    "in progress " :(
    Mine is too

Mine is too
    Spoke to recruitment and although my CTC is completed and has been for a couple of days they say it is still outstanding - frustration does not begin to describe it - break down in comms somewhere - good luck one and all - 67j

Mine is too
    Spoke to recruitment and although my CTC is completed and has been for a couple of days they say it is still outstanding - frustration does not begin to describe it - break down in comms somewhere - good luck one and all - 67j
    I'd say there will be next to no notice if meant to start at beginning of September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

I'd say there will be next to no notice if meant to start at beginning of September.

Was thinking that myself - if it is 4 weeks notice and the first intake is beginning of Sept that means offers of employment will start going out at the end of this week?!

Can't see that happening so I'd say if they can't give the notice they will give you the option to defer your start date if necessary.

Could cry not knowing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 hayes_2012

I spoke to recruitment today and even though my CTC is saying it is completed they still say it hasnt been finished, So don't know what is happening. Maybe a lack of communication. Just another week hounding the postman every day for the medical letter. Wonder how the old prison officers will interact with the new guards?

Advertisement