Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Shawsy

weepete wrote: »
    i've my medical this week so hopefully its just a case of them ringing recruitment and telling them i'm ready to rock and roll, ctc says its complete but seamingly that doesn't mean your cleared just yet.

Whereabouts are you on the list again? Dont lose hope just yet.

I'm 180-190 and my ctc is complete but no medical letter yet! I think i'm gonna be one of the later batches which is fine but just don't want to miss out if they fill all their slots before they get to me :(

At least you have your medical this week - only a matter of time for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

Shawsy wrote: »
    I'm 180-190 and my ctc is complete but no medical letter yet! I think i'm gonna be one of the later batches which is fine but just don't want to miss out if they fill all their slots before they get to me :(

At least you have your medical this week - only a matter of time for you :)

I may still join you in the later batches may have to ask for deferred entry around mid octoberish! Hopefully that wont put me out of running completely. Have you called them recently to see what the craic is with your medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

i've my medical this week so hopefully its just a case of them ringing recruitment and telling them i'm ready to rock and roll, ctc says its complete but seamingly that doesn't mean your cleared just yet.

Whereabouts are you on the list again? Dont lose hope just yet.

Shawsy - do not know how they do it, but I had my medical a few weeks ago and they still have not notified recruitment - even with the doc passing me fit for duty - frustrating is an understatement, as this is all that recruitment are waiting on to provide me with a start date - fingers crossed I hear something this week

1967J wrote: »
    Shawsy - do not know how they do it, but I had my medical a few weeks ago and they still have not notified recruitment - even with the doc passing me fit for duty - frustrating is an understatement, as this is all that recruitment are waiting on to provide me with a start date - fingers crossed I hear something this week

Absolutely 1967J -it's such a hard process to go through :(
    I hope the ohs get their finger out and let nips know that you are good to go ASAP and you get your call soon!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya :)

I may still join you in the later batches may have to ask for deferred entry around mid octoberish! Hopefully that wont put me out of running completely. Have you called them recently to see what the craic is with your medical?

Yep rang on Friday to be told I would be called within 3 weeks but they also said that I would hear within 2 weeks, 2 weeks ago so I'm not so sure haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭missyk1

Absolutely 1967J -it's such a hard process to go through :(
    I hope the ohs get their finger out and let nips know that you are good to go ASAP and you get your call soon!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya :)

Your next 1967j I can just feel it lol !
    Hang in there, won't be long :) !

Delay in notifying recruitment could be due to the drugs testing process on your urine sample! Perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

Thats great news, just very frustrating that some of us in the top 10 havent even had their medical!!!! God bless the merit system.

Did they give you lots of good info?

I know I started to think I've read my email with my merit placing wrong! I feel really guilty that you guys who scored better than me are still waiting! No didn't give me any info other than a start date ha, asked loads of questions but they're sending me out an info pack and assured me everything I want to know will be in that, so will make interesting reading!

Folks I think it's a good sign for those a bit further down the list - it sounded like a lot of people had dropped out and that's the only reason I got contacted.

Keep waiting patiently - it will be worth it!

Delay in notifying recruitment could be due to the drugs testing process on your urine sample! Perhaps

Thats funny - dont honestly know whats going on - I spoke with OHS on Thursday past and they confirmed there were no issues - normally they get sign off from doc and docs go to recruitment every day in a secure delivery - in fairness to the staff at OHS, I have found them really helpful. They even said they would put my sheet to the top of the list - fingers crossed they know top from bottom - Will probably give them to Thursday and follow up with another call - good luck all

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

grad10 wrote: »
    I know I started to think I've read my email with my merit placing wrong! I feel really guilty that you guys who scored better than me are still waiting! No didn't give me any info other than a start date ha, asked loads of questions but they're sending me out an info pack and assured me everything I want to know will be in that, so will make interesting reading!

Folks I think it's a good sign for those a bit further down the list - it sounded like a lot of people had dropped out and that's the only reason I got contacted.

good to hear! I wonder if many other outside the forum are in the same position as yourself. Think I shall drop rec a call tomorrow and see if they can enlighten me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

its a strange old world - only they know how they select and just shows that its not all down to merit placing but would suspect that his has a reasonable part to play in it - well done you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sydnor

Here's a juicy bit of gossip while I wait for a medical letter: I know someone, who knows someone who knows a candidate that failed the medical due to his BMI being over 30.

Out of the running, no appeal or anything.

sydnor wrote: »
    Here's a juicy bit of gossip while I wait for a medical letter: I know someone, who knows someone who knows a candidate that failed the medical due to his BMI being over 30.

1967j posted earlier that he had a bmi of 32.5 but as he carries well and is fit the doc applied common sense to it and give him the nod! Perhaps there was an underlying condition that failed him

its a strange old world - only they know how they select and just shows that its not all down to merit placing but would suspect that his has a reasonable part to play in it - well done you

Cheers 67J. At least you know you are pencilled in, just a case of all the agencies communicating and then you'll get that call!

Cheers 67J. At least you know you are pencilled in, just a case of all the agencies communicating and then you'll get that call!

Communication - there in lies the problem - 67

1967j posted earlier that he had a bmi of 32.5 but as he carries well and is fit the doc applied common sense to it and give him the nod! Perhaps there was an underlying condition that failed him

Plus they asked for your height and weight in the first lot of medical forms, from which they could calculate your bmi it would be a bit cruel to keep you hanging on if your bmi would rule you out and they knew it, never mind waste of money too!

Could well be down to another factor and this was an excuse given or used - my BMI is above 30 slightly - but I'm over 6ft and regularly run and cycle - not as much as I would like to but more than I probably should - also TRY and eat reasonably healthly - 67j

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hayes_2012

I hope that is just an excuse why they failed him. I am of a BMI of 32, but train twice a week and play rugby on saturday, and gym every other day. I would say im overweight but i would be no where near obese. I feel BMI is a flawed estimate to a persons fitness for duty. Do they do a skinfold test or any other BMI test while in the medical? Still waiting for my medical and hearing about people getting their start dates is really worrying me.

hayes_2012 wrote: »
    I hope that is just an excuse why they failed him. I am of a BMI of 32, but train twice a week and play rugby on saturday, and gym every other day. I would say im overweight but i would be no where near obese. I feel BMI is a flawed estimate to a persons fitness for duty. Do they do a skinfold test or any other BMI test while in the medical? Still waiting for my medical and hearing about people getting their start dates is really worrying me.

Well my bmi is 24 and I haven't been called for medical either so don't think bmi is the reason for not being called so far - they obviously have an order they are working through (I was told order of merit) but looking on here that appears to not be entirely the truth!

Well my bmi is 24 and I haven't been called for medical either so don't think bmi is the reason for not being called so far - they obviously have an order they are working through (I was told order of merit) but looking on here that appears to not be entirely the truth!

I think the reason offers are a bit all over the place is simply because when the NIPS pass us over to OHS they deal with us separately, so they might not be giving out medicals in order of merit but the NIPS will have passed over the top 200 people's details or whatever. So your merit number will guarantee your place but they are just having to fit people into whatever intake correlates with them completing med and vetting so there are no empty spaces in intakes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Congratulations to those who have got offers - I am very jealous I have to say.....

Hope that there are an awful lot of dropouts (about 300 would give me a chance).

Will have to update the list at some stage.....

wanadrum wrote: »
    Congratulations to those who have got offers - I am very jealous I have to say.....

Hope that there are an awful lot of dropouts (about 300 would give me a chance).

Will have to update the list at some stage.....

Thanks !! And hang on in there,
    You never know !! :)

Well thats the medical done, didnt get told catergorically "fit for duty" but think it went well. Fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭euros1

Well thats the medical done, didnt get told catergorically "fit for duty" but think it went well. Fingers crossed
    Good stuff - not long now then

missyk1 wrote: »

Did you get 'THE CALL' missyk1?

Well done you - we'll all get in together - 67j

Username..........Vetting..........Medical......Merit Place.........Offer
    Arrow99................................................<10
    Weepete...........In progress.....Completed...<10
    Steven123455....In progress.....Invited.......10<20
    euros1..............Completed......Completed..10<20 ..........Got 'The Call'
    Ali99.................In progress.....................20-30
    1967J................Completed......Pass..........20-30
    missyk1.............In progress......Pass..........<30.............Got 'The Call'
    hayes_1991.......Completed......................100-110
    josh2705...........Completed.....................100-110
    Grad10..............Completed......Pass......100-120.............Got 'The Call'
    elvis99..............In progress.....................140-160
    Syndor..............In progress.....................165-175
    swl33t..............Completed......................170-180
    Shawsy.............Completed....................180-190
    ShaneW1986......In progress....................180-200
    Hammath1..........In progress....................240-250

Chimera9938..........................................270-300
    kc29.....................................................300-330
    Trex450.................................................320-340
    Billysauce...............................................360-370
    Cowtown................................................400-450
    Triple-M..................................................430-450
    Wanadrum...............................................460-480
    Little Loki................................................460-480
    SJAG......................................................460-480
    Chountour...............................................470-480

wanadrum wrote: »
    missyk1 wrote: »

Did you get 'THE CALL' missyk1?

Yes on Friday wanadrum :)

euros1 wrote: »
    Good stuff - not long now then

Euros1 where've u been hiding

• Advertisement

Well done 'wee'pete ;);)

Advertisement