Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Buzz35

No-one heard anything yet????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Buzz35 wrote: »
    No-one heard anything yet????

Nothing. Several friends and workmates have applied also and I was asking them today if they heard anything, they hadn't.

Its on the NI News that they are shutting Magilligan Prison within the next couple of years!

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Nothing. Several friends and workmates have applied also and I was asking them today if they heard anything, they hadn't.

Its on the NI News that they are shutting Magilligan Prison within the next couple of years!

That will effect quite a few applicants I would have thought? Some ppl not wanting to travel to belfast etc.

Think they mentioned building a new one though somewhere else.

That will effect quite a few applicants I would have thought? Some ppl not wanting to travel to belfast etc.

Think they mentioned building a new one though somewhere else.

Yeah, in Belfast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Little Loki

I know why no one has heard yet...because i just did the assessment today, so they are not over yet. I cann't imagine they would be too many more though. i didn't think the test was too bad but i'm sure 90% of people thought the same so I can't help but think 1 small mistake would be the diiference between making it and not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Yeah, in Belfast!!

I wouldn't hold my breath for a new prison to be built , from what I've read their isn't a bean set aside to pay for it , I don't think the people of Limavady have too much to worry about just yet :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sydnor

Apparently, the reason for the hold-up is there was a mistake in the marking of some of the tests, meaning some people had to re-do them.

I also heard that some of these people, had thought they were through to the second stage of the assessment.

It was in the Sunday World that the DoJ is considering privatising Magilligan and Hydebank. If that's the case why are they looking for prison officers at all. They called them Yellow Pack prisons. Must google that.

Got my invitation to attend a final assessment today. (Assessment centre)

Me too and a surprising amount of paperwork to complete (compared to the Police Assessment Centre)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

sydnor wrote: »
    Me too and a surprising amount of paperwork to complete (compared to the Police Assessment Centre)

Me three - received on Thursday, still not had a chance to look at it - planned for tomorrow - all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Little Loki

Yes also got my assessment letter yesterday. At least its in a couple of weeks so they are not drawing things out any further. I wonder how many got through...

Anyone any idea what to expect next? same as PSNI or different

1967J wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what to expect next? same as PSNI or different

I'm guessing different. More group work and less individual roleplays.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

what do you reckon the dress code is? no mention in the letter etc

swl33t wrote: »
    what do you reckon the dress code is? no mention in the letter etc

Would have thought shirt & tie? What do you guys think?

I'll be going for a suit, like the PSNI assessment centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

+1

Dress smartly , not saying jeans and runners will get you kicked out but I think projecting a professional image is of value.

Ah man. Im going on holiday soon. If I have gotten through to the next phase I can almost guess when mine will be grrr.

Btw, any mention of a medical or fitness test in the letter?

• Advertisement

Btw, any mention of a medical or fitness test in the letter?

No mention but you are asked to fill in a occupational health from so guess you could be called for one 67j

Anyone else NOT heard anything yet? :-O

Anyone know what the training period is for the role ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

1967J wrote: »
    Anyone know what the training period is for the role ta

I heard training was 6 weeks with one years probation during which you have to complete a qualification in custody similar to the psni gettin a qualification in policing but they do that before pass out with practical training after. I assume though with the NIPS you would need a decent amount of "hands on training" before going into the bull pen.

Anyone else NOT heard anything yet? :-O

If you havent heard anything yet i would give them a call ASAP they are a lot more helpful than the psni recruitment branch. I had my IST at the end of march and have my AC next week letter my have been delayed or lost so jump on it sharpish buddy, you need to gather a lot more info for the day than the psni required.

It was written on their site somewhere that there could be a year long wait between being accepted and being offered a postion.

I think the years time frame was due to the phased redundancy plan. They need to leave seasoned officers to look after the FNGs until they are a little less green. So some of the new recruits could start now some in a years time i suppose it allows people to defer there training to a more suitable date etc. phases out training requirements too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 hayes_1991

Does anyone know how many have been invited to assesment center, and what to expect?

hayes_1991 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many have been invited to assesment center, and what to expect?

I'd say the same sort of ratios as the psni recruitment would apply i.e. expect a 1000 from the original 5000 through to this round the last psni canpaign had 10,000 apply and about 2000 for the AC but i think thats where the similaritys will stop i think it could be a lot more group tests and games/ puzzels but not really sure and i have nothing to base it on.

Anbody else get a call today to check they got their letter? Is that your doin Goonerdee? Did you call them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

weepete wrote: »
    Anbody else get a call today to check they got their letter? Is that your doin Goonerdee? Did you call them?

I did,the lady on the phone said it was due to my address being in the south?,im not sure what difference that would make once the address was right and the correct postage was paid,but anyways everything was fine,ac in a week :)

Advertisement