Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 josh2705

Got the call this afterrnoon guys! Going to be in the September intake. Cannot wait to meet you all and put some faces to the names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Shawsy

josh2705 wrote: »
    Got the call this afterrnoon guys! Going to be in the September intake. Cannot wait to meet you all and put some faces to the names.

Well done!! :)
    Where were are you on the merit list?

Cheers mate! 100-110 on the merit list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭missyk1

josh2705 wrote: »

Well done josh, is your ctc
    Complete ?

Thanks Missy K. Yeah CTC completed a couple of weeks back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 hayes_1991

got the call today also :) starting in September. woohoo! also 100-110 in merit list

Congrats Hayes! Great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭missyk1

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

missyk1 wrote: »

Interesting but I would have thought the training period would be longer particularly the time spent at the 3 sites (2 weeks) - 67j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭euros1

1967J wrote: »

Interesting but I would have thought the training period would be longer particularly the time spent at the 3 sites (2 weeks) - 67j
    That was for OSG recruitment,was talking to one of the guys on that forum.he got the osg job.yeah it was 6 weeks training then 2 weeks at the establishment then.I was told that by recruitment as I was told a starting date for it but then the last 40 or so of us were not needed.it will be good to see round all the establishments in our training.wonder will we be doing any ice breaker things to get to know everyone like going absailing or something like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 CityGirl88

Does anyone know if the open night is the same for all of the 3 intakes in September? I haven't got a letter about it yet, but they did mention it to me on the phone and what day of the week it was, is it next week or the following week? I'm in the 2nd intake.

Also, to the ladies out there, these 'flat black laced shoes', do they mean school type shoes? Or could we get away with a comfortable plimsole or black trainers? What youse think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 VOR

Just came across this thread. I'm in the September intake - got the call a couple of weeks ago. Don't want to be a downer or have this taken the wrong way - but I'm not sure these discussions and the public sharing of recruitment process information, even anonymously, is helpful. Be aware that some prisoners do have access to the internet, some may have visited this forum (over 30,000 views and I'd bet more are watching than posting), and public discussions such as concern over shoes, open nights, medical etc does not give off an appropriate impression - in my view. Well done to all who are on their way in this journey, I've given myself a pat on the back as well. However, I think we all know this is just the start, not the end, of the journey. There is training, assessment, and examinations ahead of all of us, and in the eyes of our future colleagues already in the job, we have achieved nothing yet. I'm not sure any of that will be suitable for public discussion. Just my two cents. Best of luck to all still waiting for news. Lets gets our heads down, and knuckle down to the work at hand. First and last you'll hear from me. See you on the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

VOR wrote: »
    Just came across this thread. I'm in the September intake - got the call a couple of weeks ago. Don't want to be a downer or have this taken the wrong way - but I'm not sure these discussions and the public sharing of recruitment process information, even anonymously, is helpful. Be aware that some prisoners do have access to the internet, some may have visited this forum (over 30,000 views and I'd bet more are watching than posting), and public discussions such as concern over shoes, open nights, medical etc does not give off an appropriate impression - in my view.

In fairness to the posters here they have all been very careful not to divulge times , dates , locations , etc on the forum - they are aware of the security implications. As for discussing shoes , open days , etc - pretty routine stuff that's hardly going to shake the NIPS to it's foundations I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

Is anyone's ctc still in progress ?

Missy my CTC has said completed for nearly a month however on my acceptance letter it said it is still to clear and the job offer is subject to that. So means nothing! Really hope it has cleared by now though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

CityGirl88 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the open night is the same for all of the 3 intakes in September? I haven't got a letter about it yet, but they did mention it to me on the phone and what day of the week it was, is it next week or the following week? I'm in the 2nd intake.

Also, to the ladies out there, these 'flat black laced shoes', do they mean school type shoes? Or could we get away with a comfortable plimsole or black trainers? What youse think?

Sounds like all Sept may be the same citygirl. Wondering the same thing myself! Put it out there in a post a while back and also emailed recruitment but no reply! Hoping we'll find out on open night. Presume the uniform shoes we've ordered are the ones we'll be wearing and can get away with plimsoles in mean time! Who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Drmdg101

Merit order 110-120. Passed medical yesterday and now waiting for call from recruitment. Wanted to let those still waiting on a medical know this. Got medical invite in the post on Friday, appointment was for Monday. I'd say if you were 140-160 in the merit order you should expect medical letter end of next week. Not sure if I'll be in any of the September intakes, will have to wait and see. Had it impressed upon me by one of nurses at medical that this is going to be a very challenging job. And there was me thinking it was going to be a walk in the park ; )

Drmdg101 wrote: »
    Merit order 110-120. Passed medical yesterday and now waiting for call from recruitment. Wanted to let those still waiting on a medical know this. Got medical invite in the post on Friday, appointment was for Monday. I'd say if you were 140-160 in the merit order you should expect medical letter end of next week. Not sure if I'll be in any of the September intakes, will have to wait and see. Had it impressed upon me by one of nurses at medical that this is going to be a very challenging job. And there was me thinking it was going to be a walk in the park ; )

Excellent well done!!!
    Seems to be a very short turn around these days - they are flying through those medicals rightly aren't they? :)

I'm 180-190 so mine will be another few weeks yet which is fine by me!
    Let us know when you get 'the call'

• Registered Users Posts: 24 steven123455

Does anyone have an email address for recruitment that they actually respond to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Volcom900

Does anyone have an email address for recruitment that they actually respond to?

hi this is the email that i use and they reply to me on. NIPSRecruitment@dojni.x.gsi.gov.uk

hope this helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cm07

Hi guys

First time on this board, only spotted it y'day. I was told I am No 270 on the merit list. If there are only 200 jobs then it seems unlikely that I will be offered one! I can't see 70 people declining the job or being rejected! What you think? Just would like to have an idea what to expect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 CityGirl88

cm07 wrote: »
    Hi guys

First time on this board, only spotted it y'day. I was told I am No 270 on the merit list. If there are only 200 jobs then it seems unlikely that I will be offered one! I can't see 70 people declining the job or being rejected! What you think? Just would like to have an idea what to expect.

I think you should hang in there, my partner is 500's in the merit list and he got a letter at the weekend saying that they will be working their way down the list, and that the list still stands until June 2013, plenty of time yet so don't give up!

You never know what personal circumstances people may be challenged with if they were offered a place, I'm sure there will be many who don't get their preference of prison to work in and the travel could be too much for them! And also, there could be a few who don't pass their medicals!

So hang in there and don't give up just yet! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hammath1

Well like ive mentioned im 240-250. Ctc is showing as complete today after only 7 days! Seems really quick. No word of medical or anything else in the post...just the certificate.

Fingers crossed i dont get a rejection letter.

Got the call today, but on another note - has anyone else taken a look at the NI Assembly discussions on the recruitment campaign and prison reform? Bit of an eye opener. As far as I can tell from these discussions, the initial recruitment drive will take in 200 people. After that if they need a few more people they will go to a reserve list. But the idea seems to be to completely open up another competition for next year. Another point worth mentioning is salary. We won't get 23 grand a year immediately after training - from what I can tell it will take us a few years to reach that salary - which is making me drastically rethink this as a long term employment option. 18 grand is peanuts for what we'll be doing.

and it will take at least 4 years until we can apply to be offender supervisors, and that's only if positions are available. The maximum will be £27000 that can be earned.

and it will take at least 4 years until we can apply to be offender supervisors, and that's only if positions are available. The maximum will be £27000 that can be earned.

What's entailed in the offender supervisor role Steven? I've no idea how the rank scale works.

Drmdg101 wrote: »
    Got the call today, but on another note - has anyone else taken a look at the NI Assembly discussions on the recruitment campaign and prison reform? Bit of an eye opener. As far as I can tell from these discussions, the initial recruitment drive will take in 200 people. After that if they need a few more people they will go to a reserve list. But the idea seems to be to completely open up another competition for next year. Another point worth mentioning is salary. We won't get 23 grand a year immediately after training - from what I can tell it will take us a few years to reach that salary - which is making me drastically rethink this as a long term employment option. 18 grand is peanuts for what we'll be doing.

Was thinking about this myself - it isn't really clear how long it will take to get up to the 23grand! I think if I get the offer I will be asking questions about the salary and how it will all work but to be honest as much as i'd love to earn more money the job will be alot better than the one i'm in so it's a no brainer for me! :)

Shawsy wrote: »
    Was thinking about this myself - it isn't really clear how long it will take to get up to the 23grand! I think if I get the offer I will be asking questions about the salary and how it will all work but to be honest as much as i'd love to earn more money the job will be alot better than the one i'm in so it's a no brainer for me! :)

entry - £18000
    increment on successful completion of certificate of competance £21000, (this will take up to 2 years to achieve.)
    annual increment of £500 until £23000. so it would take 6 years.

entry - £18000
    increment on successful completion of certificate of competance £21000, (this will take up to 2 years to achieve.)
    annual increment of £500 until £23000. so it would take 6 years.

Did u get that from recruitment?

Did u get that from recruitment?

got it in the info pack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

totally agree - whilst money is important it is not everything

Advertisement