Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Drmdg101

My god. Six years to make 23 grand. Dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Shawsy

Drmdg101 wrote: »

Yea is worse than I thought!! :(

Shawsy wrote: »

Yea is worse than I thought!! :(

And it's not just that I'm looking to make a fast buck. Just a salary in keeping with what we'll be doing. Does 18 grand a year sound good in return for the abuse, the dirty protests etc? I knew it was low wage for training when I applied, but to take that for at least six years? I know I'm not alone in having a degree here. If the graduate job market wasn't so dire I'm not sure I'd be going down this route, but as needs must, here I am. Would be great if action could be taken later to improve the contract terms. Seems reforms thus far have been geared towards getting rid of "expensive" officers to make things cheaper. I urge you to read comments by Spratt, head of the POA, on our pay. Only saw them recently and it opened my eyes a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

If its any comfort an identical situation exists in the Republic with new grades of PO being recruited on sharply reduced pay compared to older officers. Apparently some recruits have walked out of the training centre upon seeing their first pay slip.

Delancey wrote: »
    If its any comfort an identical situation exists in the Republic with new grades of PO being recruited on sharply reduced pay compared to older officers. Apparently some recruits have walked out of the training centre upon seeing their first pay slip.

Ever get the feeling you'd been born about 20 years too late? Painful emerging from university to a recession, high rents, few jobs, and rubbish salaries for the few you are actually eligible to apply for. Prison Service spokesmen responded to Spratt's criticism of the salary by saying it was locally and nationally competitive - which you can translate as "People will apply for these positions on this salary because there are no jobs in this country and we will pay a few quid more than McDonalds." Trying hard to stay upbeat, and I am honestly looking forward to training and the job - but I'm feeling a touch exploited with these salary revelations. Interesting that they didn't advertise this salary breakdown at the start of the competition. Conscious decision? Not sure it would have deterred me, but I have to admit I was operating on the assumption I'd be on 23,000 a year a lot sooner than a MINIMUM of 6 years.

• Advertisement

Delancey wrote: »

Ever get the feeling you'd been born about 20 years too late? Painful emerging from university to a recession, high rents, few jobs, and rubbish salaries for the few you are actually eligible to apply for. Prison Service spokesmen responded to Spratt's criticism of the salary by saying it was locally and nationally competitive - which you can translate as "People will apply for these positions on this salary because there are no jobs in this country and we will pay a few quid more than McDonalds." Trying hard to stay upbeat, and I am honestly looking forward to training and the job - but I'm feeling a touch exploited with these salary revelations. Interesting that they didn't advertise this salary breakdown at the start of the competition. Conscious decision? Not sure it would have deterred me, but I have to admit I was operating on the assumption I'd be on 23,000 a year a lot sooner than a MINIMUM of 6 years.

Just looked at tax rates, and after tax that works out at about £265 a week. No joke - my friend makes more working full time as a deputy supervisor in Burger King, and my sister is a single mum and between housing benefit, child tax credit and income support she gets more than that for sitting at home.

Something for me to chew over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭euros1

Yeah the salary isn't great at the start but ur under no obligation to accept it.If u don't feel its good enough for u don't take the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 CityGirl88

Bit of useless but 'good to know' information for u all... I have eaten in the prison college canteen before and their food was delish!! Just thought I'd share that and lighten the mood after all this talk of bad salaries !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Trex450

Yep me too, i'm going to have to travel quite a way - but still waiting on that elusive medical :(
    I just heard from someone already in the service that they are not planning on even taking on enough new recruits to cover all the vacancies.

They apparently gave the night custody officers the option to move to day time and 80 showed interest but only 18 actually took it.
    I'm being told that they are going to take up to around 200 now and allow the new ones to do overtime to fill the vacancies and then re-recruit next year again!?

I really don't know how true this is, i'm being told it is definitely correct but who knows!?
    weepete wrote: »
    I would say to save money in this time of economic unrest they would use the 200-400+ merit list instead of running a new campaign, also i think under our contracts it'll be cheaper to pay us the overtime than the current officers.

Hope that's the case :)

After getting the 'bogoff' recently; and merit list open til jun 2013 bla bla bla, I had give up all hope... Saying that the job i'm now in was a merit list one which came good. Not good is that it was only temp, and I finish up in October :( :pac::pac::pac:>>>>>>jobs>>>

Ps defo happy for those who have made it and congrats, and thanks I guess for helping to keep this board alight through the process...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

euros1 wrote: »
    Yeah the salary isn't great at the start but ur under no obligation to accept it.If u don't feel its good enough for u don't take the job

Salary is part of the package - me personally I am looking at the whole picture re shifts (not known) pension, sick pay, pension etc -I agree that the salary is not good, and I would have liked to see the jump to 21k earlier - but in part that is why the POA is there - to argue on your behalf. I am looking a career change and this suits the bill (at the moment)- I am also looking to try and achieve a better work life balance than I presently have - if anyone else can suggest an alternative that does not involve specific education I am open to suggestions - I do not expect it to be an easy job but that is part of what I am looking forward to - the challenge - good luck to us all

• Advertisement

1967J wrote: »
    Salary is part of the package - me personally I am looking at the whole picture re shifts (not known) pension, sick pay, pension etc -I agree that the salary is not good, and I would have liked to see the jump to 21k earlier - but in part that is why the POA is there - to argue on your behalf. I am looking a career change and this suits the bill (at the moment)- I am also looking to try and achieve a better work life balance than I presently have - if anyone else can suggest an alternative that does not involve specific education I am open to suggestions - I do not expect it to be an easy job but that is part of what I am looking forward to - the challenge - good luck to us all

I'm with you 1967J! I am not going to lie, I am very disappointed by the salary break down and really had hoped that after the training we would be on the 23k as I am giving up 2 jobs that pays that already and will have to move back in with my parents as I won't be able to afford my house and bills on 18k!
    However on the flip side, I wont be working 7 days a week every week and eventually I will hopefully be in a job that gives me more pleasure and freedom than where I am now - it will be hard but i'm ready for a change and can't wait to get started :)

I will just have to give up a few things for a few years in order to get there!! :)

This lying month in salary is going to be hard.Sept groups won't get paid until end of October.also when will we get the travel expenses money for driving to training.trying to budget here.got my last salary the other day from my current job and now no more money coming in until end of October.not good

This lying month in salary is going to be hard.Sept groups won't get paid until end of October.also when will we get the travel expenses money for driving to training.trying to budget here.got my last salary the other day from my current job and now no more money coming in until end of October.not good

I'm in the exact same boat here, hence the battering of my initial enthusiasm on getting a position. Long term I am up for the job, just trying to see past this initial period. I will definately need up-front help with travel costs. Got about 70 miles to do each way, every day of training. Free residential was what I was hoping for...

I'm in the exact same boat here, hence the battering of my initial enthusiasm on getting a position. Long term I am up for the job, just trying to see past this initial period. I will definately need up-front help with travel costs. Got about 70 miles to do each way, every day of training. Free residential was what I was hoping for...
    Hopefully they will pay us our travel expenses at the end of each week.I doubt it though.Il have to live cheap for the first few months until I get pay and travel expenses

Euros - where did the lying month come from - I may have missed this but I read paid in arrears which in my book means that you work the month and then get paid - so the pay date as we know will be near the end of the month - my belief then is that those starting early in Sept will receive more or less a full months salary come pay day at the end of the month - expenses maybe paid at this time or may be paid seperately - my current role sees expenses paid on the 12th of the month with salary of the last day of the month.

Hopefully they will pay us our travel expenses at the end of each week.I doubt it though.Il have to live cheap for the first few months until I get pay and travel expenses

Have you spoke to recruitment about this

I guess that the possibility of making up some money through overtime is a good thing at least - I'll be needing to do alot of that if its available :)

1967J wrote: »

Euros - where did the lying month come from - I may have missed this but I read paid in arrears which in my book means that you work the month and then get paid - so the pay date as we know will be near the end of the month - my belief then is that those starting early in Sept will receive more or less a full months salary come pay day at the end of the month - expenses maybe paid at this time or may be paid seperately - my current role sees expenses paid on the 12th of the month with salary of the last day of the month.
    Is it.oh happy days I just assumed that that meant a lying month.I really hope that is the case

Is it.oh happy days I just assumed that that meant a lying month.I really hope that is the case

I believe it is - my understanding from industry is that when paid in arrears you have to work the month or part of before getting paid - so those on the 1st intake will have worked almost a full month by payday and should get paid acordingly - if it was paid in advance then regardless of start date you would get full months pay - not as common for obvious reasons - chat to recruitment and they will clarify

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭missyk1

Where is everyone ?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

nothing new to post, except i disloacted my shoulder yesterday playing rugby haha so better heal quickly before the medical

missyk1 wrote: »
    Where is everyone ?!

weekends are usually dead now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

Where is everyone ?!
    Waiting patiently to get started!

swl33t wrote: »
    nothing new to post, except i disloacted my shoulder yesterday playing rugby haha so better heal quickly before the medical

Oh no hope your better soon, I think I have done similar to trigger finger and looks like it needs broke and reset :( !!

Who all is going to the open night soon ?

I still haven't been called for my medical - I was told to ring again in 3 weeks if I hadn't heard anything and guess what? Today is 3 weeks.

Won't do me any good but i'm gonna ring later again and see what they say - maybe they will tell me what number on the merit list they are currently at (doubt it) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

I still haven't been called for my medical - I was told to ring again in 3 weeks if I hadn't heard anything and guess what? Today is 3 weeks.

Won't do me any good but i'm gonna ring later again and see what they say - maybe they will tell me what number on the merit list they are currently at (doubt it) haha
    Same as, keep me posted haha

Just emailed them as not sure if i'll get a chance to ring today so fingers crossed I get a reply soon :)

Just emailed them as not sure if i'll get a chance to ring today so fingers crossed I get a reply soon :)

They are probably all off today !

• Advertisement

They are probably all off today !

Lucky them! :)

Advertisement