Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

right, biggest decision so far is over the horizon, ifffff I where to pass the medical and get a job offer, i shall either have that, or the offer of a masters course at uni, and I really do not have a notion what to do, any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Shawsy

swl33t wrote: »
    right, biggest decision so far is over the horizon, ifffff I where to pass the medical and get a job offer, i shall either have that, or the offer of a masters course at uni, and I really do not have a notion what to do, any advice?

I work at a uni actually!! lol
    I would say to weigh up the long term goals you can acheive using the masters against what you can acheive at the prison service.

Although I think you should always go with your gut - what will make you most happy? What fills you with the most excitement?

Hard decision to make! Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭euros1

That is a tough one.The way I would look at it is wat field do u want to work in.Is it is something linked to your masters or is it something like NIPS or psni or something like that.also can u do a masters through home study-don't know if that is possible or you could try NIPS for a year and if your not keen enroll next year for masters.This is an opportunity that doesn't come round too often and you wouldn't want to regret not trying it.

euros1 wrote: »
    That is a tough one.The way I would look at it is wat field do u want to work in.Is it is something linked to your masters or is it something like NIPS or psni or something like that.also can u do a masters through home study-don't know if that is possible or you could try NIPS for a year and if your not keen enroll next year for masters.This is an opportunity that doesn't come round too often and you wouldn't want to regret not trying it.

Yep you can ask for a deferral for a year if you aren't sure - the uni will likely hold the place for at least a year and then you will know what you want to do by then with any luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hammath1

Ive just emailed them to see if i can get a bit more info as im sitting with a completed vetting form and thats it. Hopefully have some answers soon! Theyve emailled back quickly in the past from what i can gather?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

Can anyone who was at the open night during the week confirm for me that the dress code is business wear for the first day of training and up until our uniforms are issued?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

grad10 wrote: »
    Can anyone who was at the open night during the week confirm for me that the dress code is business wear for the first day of training and up until our uniforms are issued?

anything else of interest come out of the evening - feel free to pm if required - good luck to all in the first group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭missyk1

Yes grad10,
    Smart dress, did you get flat black shoes ? I was able to get a pair in next to tie me over ? As recruitment said no heels ? :(

missyk1 wrote: »

Yes grad10,
    Smart dress, did you get flat black shoes ? I was able to get a pair in next to tie me over ? As recruitment said no heels ? :(
    Ps. Got your pm will reply shortly, upto my eyes as per !

Does anyone know if we need a notebook and pens tomorrow ?

• Advertisement

Yes grad10,

Oh flip I was clearly so overwhelmed with information I didn't even take that bit in! Thank goodness for this forum or I was def turning up in heels!
    Looks like its off shopping for me today then! Are yours laces or do you think black pumps will suffice?! Gonna have to get my suit trousers turned up!!

1967J wrote: »

anything else of interest come out of the evening - feel free to pm if required - good luck to all in the first group

If you were wondering how long we spend at each of the establishments after initial training it's the same as millisle - 8 weeks in each.

Which I personally feel is a bit long, I think you could get a good insight in 4 weeks, don't see the point in being away from our home station for 16 weeks.

Does anyone know if we need a notebook and pens tomorrow ?

Bringing them just incase missy!

Yes grad10,

Oh flip I was clearly so overwhelmed with information I didn't even take that bit in! Thank goodness for this forum or I was def turning up in heels!
    Looks like its off shopping for me today then! Are yours laces or do you think black pumps will suffice?! Gonna have to get my suit trousers turned up!!

No I got black flat laced as that's what the letter said and I look like a man already :,-(

No I got black flat laced as that's what the letter said and I look like a man already :,-(

Oh no! :( Def wearing a trouser suit then and not a skirt! Call the fashion police!!

If you were wondering how long we spend at each of the establishments after initial training it's the same as millisle - 8 weeks in each.

Which I personally feel is a bit long, I think you could get a good insight in 4 weeks, don't see the point in being away from our home station for 16 weeks.

so 32 weeks training basically including all 3 prisons + millisle, my maths is spot on ;)

Oh no! :( Def wearing a trouser suit then and not a skirt! Call the fashion police!!

I know !! :-/

so 32 weeks training basically including all 3 prisons + millisle, my maths is spot on ;)

Yes well done lol

I know !! :-/

Apparently we can wear low heals tomorrow ?!

So don't have to get flat black laced ones??

• Advertisement

So don't have to get flat black laced ones??

They told me no heels but to wear trainers then the training staff in millisle said absolutely not to wear trainers and apologised. To be honest I now don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

So good old doc martin steel toes caps dont cut it?

God i've missed alot of information this weekend!! lol
    So from what I can gather the first intake had their information night then!?

I notice someone mentioned the initial training is 32 weeks in total, is that 8 weeks at millisle and then a further 8 weeks at each of the prisons?
    Does anyone know what the policy is on leave during that period - I have a flipping holiday booked for end of January (long before I knew I'd be getting this far for this job) is it likely i'll have to cancel or did they say you can still get leave after the initial 8 weeks in millisle is over?

PS Good luck to everyone starting this week - bet you are excited :)

how long roughly did it take everyone to hear back after the medical?

Heard unofficially on the day and then a while after from recruitment - it is supposed to be that OCS notify recruitment the following day and then they contact us in due course
    67j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

Medical on the tuesday got the call thursday or friday cant remember was half asleep when they rang.

But i have heard of people where it took a week or two just to do with the delivery from OHS to recruitment and recruitments work load. You still waiting?

weepete wrote: »

Medical on the tuesday got the call thursday or friday cant remember was half asleep when they rang.

But i have heard of people where it took a week or two just to do with the delivery from OHS to recruitment and recruitments work load. You still waiting?
    Medical is tomorrow but kind of running out of time to accept the masters course if i fail or whatever..

Medical is tomorrow but kind of running out of time to accept the masters course if i fail or whatever..

Doc will most likely give a nod one way or other to you - depending upon when the next intakes are, however you may wait a week or two to hear from recruitment which is the important part - good luck - 67j

any updates from anyone ??

• Advertisement

Still no sign of my medical! :(

Advertisement