Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

missyk1 wrote: »
    It's very quiet here at the minute :-/

That it is, hows the training goin anything you can tell us to prepare us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Shawsy

I finally received my medical letter-it's next week :)

Can anyone tell me how long the medical took? Were they prompt?
    I am just trying to work out how long I'll need out of work!

Shawsy wrote: »

From memory about 35-45 mins but i would leave an hour for it, i jumped ahead of the fella bookin in at 2 cause i was early fory half 2 appointment, sorry buddy. But as there is three different people lookin after you they can stagger it and seamed pretty prompt and efficent to me anyway.

weepete wrote: »
    From memory about 35-45 mins but i would leave an hour for it, i jumped ahead of the fella bookin in at 2 cause i was early fory half 2 appointment, sorry buddy. But as there is three different people lookin after you they can stagger it and seamed pretty prompt and efficent to me anyway.

Excellent! Thank you for that info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Well done you hope all goes well and we see you done here sooner rather than later - 67j

• Advertisement

missyk1 wrote: »
    It's very quiet here at the minute :-/

Keep popping in but as you say not a lot happening - will most likely pick up in a week or so as and when new medical dates are issued - 67j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 hayes_1991

hey. can anyone who has started the training already tell me how important it is to wear black laced shoes. As i got told by trainer on the familiarization evening that it doesn't matter as i am wearing them, but on checking the letter sent out it says remember to wear black laced flat shoes. So slightly confused.

hayes_1991 wrote: »
    hey. can anyone who has started the training already tell me how important it is to wear black laced shoes. As i got told by trainer on the familiarization evening that it doesn't matter as i am wearing them, but on checking the letter sent out it says remember to wear black laced flat shoes. So slightly confused.

Black laced shoes it is - trainers is a big no no - gents shirt and tie and ladies smart business - 67j

swl33t wrote: »
    nope, rang today and they said they won't know for a while yet and are unable to guarantee a place.. So gonna go ahead and accept this masters, they also said i could hear next week or i might hear in a couple of months, either way its not a guarantee. not good :(

Just wondering if you heard anything back yet since your medical?
    I have mine tomorrow but don't want to get too excited if nothing is going to come of it.

Well one more hurdle jumped - just passed the medical :)

• Advertisement

Well done you - good luck with the next stage - 67j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭missyk1

Well done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 multigrain

I am ranked 150-160 what do you think are my chances of getting in?? I've passed everything so far and it seems to be a waiting game at the mo. Anyone think they know my chances feel free to respond.

multigrain wrote: »
    I am ranked 150-160 what do you think are my chances of getting in?? I've passed everything so far and it seems to be a waiting game at the mo. Anyone think they know my chances feel free to respond.

How long ago was your medical?

How long ago was your medical?
    It was nearly 3 weeks ago. I passed it but I'm just wondering if and when I'll know if I'm in or not.

It was nearly 3 weeks ago. I passed it but I'm just wondering if and when I'll know if I'm in or not.

Well if it's been that long then it's as I thought, they are defo either majorly slowing down or have completely stopped taking people!

Most people seemed to be saying that they heard very quickly after the medical until the ones who have went in the last few weeks.......I cant see them wasting money and time by continuing with medicals if they have no intention of taking anyone else so hopefully its just not gonna be til end of year or something!

I'm after you at 180-190 so I know less than you :(

Good luck though!!

Well if it's been that long then it's as I thought, they are defo either majorly slowing down or have completely stopped taking people!

Most people seemed to be saying that they heard very quickly after the medical until the ones who have went in the last few weeks.......I cant see them wasting money and time by continuing with medicals if they have no intention of taking anyone else so hopefully its just not gonna be til end of year or something!

I'm after you at 180-190 so I know less than you :(

Good luck though!!

I phoned up and the woman said that the intake for October and September hadn't been finalised. She said that in all likely hood I would get in but she couldn't confirm it. It's very frustrating it'd like my life is on hold whilst I wait!! Lol.

Good luck anyway and thanks for your reply.

I phoned up and the woman said that the intake for October and September hadn't been finalised. She said that in all likely hood I would get in but she couldn't confirm it. It's very frustrating it'd like my life is on hold whilst I wait!! Lol.

Good luck anyway and thanks for your reply.

Think the next intake is planned for November time - given this I would think the urgency dropped a little but I would expect calls to start e next 2/3 weeks

67j

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

just popped in to let use know I'm still to hear anything, although decided to do the masters course now as a precaution, but if i do get the call I will keep updating here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭missyk1

There is no intakes for October , as they were moved to november and I imagine they would already know if they were supposed to start in the next few weeks ? Hang on in there guys but don't be too built up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

Guys to answer some questions..
    There are 20 recruits per class, there are 3 classes in at the minute, the 4th class will start mid Nov. In total there are 12 classes pencilled in, so a total of 240 recruits. Potentially you may have to wait until April-ish to start if you have a higher merit number, but as long as med, vetting etc ok (hopefully, as long as nothing changes..) you're in! Happy waiting guys :)

grad10 wrote: »
    There are 20 recruits per class, there are 3 classes in at the minute, the 4th class will start mid Nov. In total there are 12 classes pencilled in, so a total of 240 recruits. Potentially you may have to wait until April-ish to start if you have a higher merit number, but as long as med, vetting etc ok (hopefully, as long as nothing changes..) you're in! Happy waiting guys :)

Backs up what a tutor was telling me today - good luck all - 67j

Thanks for this this makes me feel more hopeful.!!

That information is really helpful! Thank you so much for this :)
    I don't really know what to feel about that though as it gives me hope that I am definitely getting a place but at the same time looks like I won't be in until March/April time next year then :(
    Don't want to wait that long but if it takes until then it's better than nothing!

Just wish they would at least give me a date for starting, even if it is next year.

I was told 99% sure I'd be starting on the 3rd Dec. Still not 100% though and she said "don't quote me on it" It would be a great early Christmas present!! Anyone about?

I was told 99% sure I'd be starting on the 3rd Dec. Still not 100% though and she said "don't quote me on it" It would be a great early Christmas present!! Anyone about?

3rd of December was the last of the three grouped intakes that got moved from the middle of October until the middle of November, not the last of all the intakes so dont be panicing but i know the 3rd was on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 arizonahawk

Just managed to find this thread and it is so insightful! It has helped answer some questions I have had since entering the application process.

Firstly, congratulations to those who have started the training and secondly I hope those of you who are awaiting news get it soon.

I am ranked between 120-130 and did my medical in August. Got word last month I have passed that but have heard no more since. I am keen to hear if and when I might start as I am beginning to get a bit impatient now! I am a bit worried though about the costs involved and wonder if anyone can clarify a few things for me? If offered a place how soon do you start after being told? Do they call you or is it by letter? Where do you stay when you are training? I would have a return journey of 140 miles a day to drive if it wasn't a residential.

Someone mentioned a mileage allowance, is that just for the travelling to Millisle or does that continue when you go to the actual prisons for training too? Also, when do you find out which location you will be posted to? Is it before or after the training? I am just a bit concerned if I was to get in that I would leave a local job with little travel costs to maybe having to go 120 miles or more for each shift and the wages aren't that great for the work involved either.

Has anyone in my merit pool range heard any more news?

Thanks in anticipation, I know I've bombarded you with questions but this thread is definitely better than the rumour mill which is all I have had to go on since about May!

Just managed to find this thread and it is so insightful! It has helped answer some questions I have had since entering the application process.

Firstly, congratulations to those who have started the training and secondly I hope those of you who are awaiting news get it soon.

I am ranked between 120-130 and did my medical in August. Got word last month I have passed that but have heard no more since. I am keen to hear if and when I might start as I am beginning to get a bit impatient now! I am a bit worried though about the costs involved and wonder if anyone can clarify a few things for me? If offered a place how soon do you start after being told? Do they call you or is it by letter? Where do you stay when you are training? I would have a return journey of 140 miles a day to drive if it wasn't a residential.

Someone mentioned a mileage allowance, is that just for the travelling to Millisle or does that continue when you go to the actual prisons for training too? Also, when do you find out which location you will be posted to? Is it before or after the training? I am just a bit concerned if I was to get in that I would leave a local job with little travel costs to maybe having to go 120 miles or more for each shift and the wages aren't that great for the work involved either.

Has anyone in my merit pool range heard any more news?

Thanks in anticipation, I know I've bombarded you with questions but this thread is definitely better than the rumour mill which is all I have had to go on since about May!

Wow! Lots of questions, and all of them good ones too, and i'll do my best to answer them with the info i have.

1. They should give you enough notice to give your current employer 4 weeks notice.

2. They will call you first possibly a week or two before your 4weeks notice period before you are due to start, but i got more notice because i defered my intake and i'm still waiting on my offical "4week notice" letter. I assume this is because they will appoint positions over a longer time but will send out info packs and invites to the open evening in a job lot as per intake.

3. As far as i am aware training will not be residential! With no accommodation supplied. HOWEVER there was a bit of chat about people lookin to house share a rented house/flat nearby, perhaps you may be lucky and get a house just vacated by a previous intake.

4. Mileage, i would like to think it covers training in Millisle, training in each of the prisons and day to day travelling on the job, its not like we can just transfer to the local housing executive office, we will be in a fixed location, also there is a lot of southern applicants too, so you would like to think we would get a bit towards fuel, again all speculation but like you i have a 120 mile round trip to Millisle.

5. As for final job location i heard that you hear after the 8 weeks in Millisle but before the 8 week stints at each of the prisons.

As for your merit placing there is a total of 6 intakes, that i'm aware of planned so far up until December with 20 recruits in each equals 120 recuits needed, minus anyone to fail vetting and medical you might not be far off the mark.

But if in doubt, give recruitment a call or an e-mail, their a lot more helpful than the PSNI crew were.
    Hope some of this helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 arizonahawk

Hey thanks weepete!
    It's great to finally have found other people in the same boat as I know of a few other acquaintances who have applied but are way down the list and so to actually get info from people who know what they are talking about is great! I had heard this, that and the other but nobody actually knew anything concrete so I was left with all these unanswered questions. Thanks for answering them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 hayes_1991

hey, just to help you decide.
    The travel section help you with accommodation in the form of a B&B. Or the travel allowance is from your prison to the college for example, if u live in Coleraine and travel to Millisle every day you only get paid the distance from your station if its Maghaberry then it will be from Maghaberry to Millisle. As for whenever you are given your permanent station. You will not get any travel allowance to and from work unless for overtime.

Advertisement