Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 arizonahawk

Thanks, the more I think of all the costs involved the less appealing this job seems to me. Wasn't the pay broken down by someone a few pages back and it was something like £260 a week? To be honest, even though I haven't even got the call to start, I am not as eager as I was to get it. I earn less than that but I don't have the travelling to consider in my current job nor any of the risk. I have a family and a mortgage and can't realistically afford to be handing out money to a B&B to stay up in Millisle but likewise would be out a fortune on fuel to get there and back every day. How do any of the new trainees cope?! Plus if I don't get posted to my first choice then I will have to travel miles for each shift.

I applied for the job because I wanted a job for life and a job which is secure for my family but I am worried in case I do get offered a place that in the end-up is too far from home and that I would leave my lower-paid but easier job and regret it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 hayes_1991

no sorry. I meant that NIPS will set you up with a B&B for the duration of your stay and you wont have to pay. Then you can claim for your travel to millisle from wherever you live to the B&B and then from the B&B to the college each day so you get plenty of support that way. Then again for your work for each prison in your training. You again get to stay at a B&B local to the prison. If you get posted to a station very far from your home, I think you can apply or be asked to move to another station but at the minute I am not sure of this. I no it might be awkward to start with, but it definitely sounds like a brilliant career with plenty of opportunities.

Thanks. That makes it sound a bit more appealing now! I think I was just wary in case I ended up very much out of pocket before I had even started (even though I don't actually know if I AM starting). I do think though that I would very much want to try the job as it is so very different to anything I have ever done and it could be the making of me lol! One other question, is there a physical fitness test incorporated anywhere along the application process or the training as I have no hope there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Belfastm21

Hi guys, just found this website after searching for more info on the recruitment process. I'm 150-160 in the merit list. I had my medical last week of August, passed and CTC passed. I emailed recruitment in september and they confirmed that I have passed all the assessment, CTC, medical etc. I asked if this means that I am definitely getting a job and they said it was too early to say.

I'm hoping to hear news, but reading previous posts it's looking unlikely that I will start next month (which I had hoped for).

Anyone else in the same merit bracket? I notice user multigrain is in the same window as me.

I also noticed that they are moving girls up the list to start, possibly to balance out the classes. A girl I know was in the 50s and started in the 2nd intake.

Also to add, I think they should have taken experience and knowledge into account with the recruitment. I studied Criminology in University and completed three modules on penal policy, prison reform, youth offending, reformation of offenders and studied each of the prisons in NI in great depth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 multigrain

Belfastm21 wrote: »
    Also to add, I think they should have taken experience and knowledge into account with the recruitment. I studied Criminology in University and completed three modules on penal policy, prison reform, youth offending, reformation of offenders and studied each of the prisons in NI in great depth.

Hi yea I must be at about the same stage as you Im hopeful of starting sooner rather than later. I was talking to a girl today and she was ranked 250-260 and she was told she may be in but it could be after Christmas. I also thought it was strange they didn't account for experience but then again it created a very level playing field and we've maybe benefited from that. Good luck let me know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭missyk1

hayes_1991 wrote: »
    no sorry. I meant that NIPS will set you up with a B&B for the duration of your stay and you wont have to pay. Then you can claim for your travel to millisle from wherever you live to the B&B and then from the B&B to the college each day so you get plenty of support that way. Then again for your work for each prison in your training. You again get to stay at a B&B local to the prison. If you get posted to a station very far from your home, I think you can apply or be asked to move to another station but at the minute I am not sure of this. I no it might be awkward to start with, but it definitely sounds like a brilliant career with plenty of opportunities.

That is right guys you may be entitled to accomodation whilst at the college, but you won't get travel from your house everyday if you are staying 1 mile from the college. You wil be able to claim the distance return from the b&b, ie, 2 miles. Hope this helps, good luck everyone !

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Morrika

Hi all, first time on here. I have read a lot of the posts in this thread but I haven't heard of anyone getting a medical form relating to night shift working. I have passed all the tests but haven't had a medical. I just got this form which seemed to duplicate a lot of questions that were on the previous form.
    Anyone else get one?

Did you get this form in the post?

I haven't seen a form like it. What are the questions? Maybe after looking at your application, medical records etc they needed to recheck something.

Got it in the post, usual questions about asthma, heart disease, medication, mental health, doctors name addresses etc all covered in the previous form. I called recruitment they said return the form and I would go for medical in 3-4 weeks

• Advertisement

Perhaps they have misplaced your original or there was a mistake on it. Do you know your merit number?

If they misplaced it or there had been a mistake they would have just sent the same form out. This was a health questionnaire for night workers. 200 ish

Is the lung function test part of the medical, I did It before for the psni and passed but I remember thinking I was gonna faint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Shawsy

multigrain wrote: »
    Hi yea I must be at about the same stage as you Im hopeful of starting sooner rather than later. I was talking to a girl today and she was ranked 250-260 and she was told she may be in but it could be after Christmas. I also thought it was strange they didn't account for experience but then again it created a very level playing field and we've maybe benefited from that. Good luck let me know how you get on.

Hey haven't been on here in ages!
    Just noticed this post Multigrain - you say you know a girl who was told she would be starting after christmas possibly but is ranked 250-260? I'm confused about that as I am 180-190 and was told it would likely be March/April time (and i'm a girl too), I hope they aren't bumping people up the list for any reason!
    Might give them another ring today and just see if they can give me any further information then :)

Morrika wrote: »
    Is the lung function test part of the medical, I did It before for the psni and passed but I remember thinking I was gonna faint!

No there was no lung function test in my medical at all.
    They did ask me questions about night duty to assess if I was fit for it but that was it, didn't have to fill in any other forms about it though!

Shawsy wrote: »
    No there was no lung function test in my medical at all.
    They did ask me questions about night duty to assess if I was fit for it but that was it, didn't have to fill in any other forms about it though!

Thank god for that I thought I was gonna have to quit the smoking!
    Is there any physical fitness training involved apart from self defence. I really hated the circuits and running in garnerville and being in my forties don't relish the thought of doing that again.

Morrika wrote: »
    Thank god for that I thought I was gonna have to quit the smoking!
    Is there any physical fitness training involved apart from self defence. I really hated the circuits and running in garnerville and being in my forties don't relish the thought of doing that again.

There was no fitness test in the medical but I haven't gotten any further so far so I don't know what will be involved in the training i'm afraid.

Well just off the phone with recruitment and they wouldnt tell me a thing!
    Not even how many they are taking on, all he would say is that there have so far been 60 that have started.

I asked if it would be next year then before i'd hear anything and he pretty much just said yes thats more than likely :(

I've heard from a recruit who was in one of the first groups that there are 3 more classes pencilled in for 18th, 27th Nov and 3rd Dec. 20 in each group brings that up to 120 in the merit list. She also said that they have pencilled in 10 training classes of 20 people which brings it up 200 on the merit list. They won't start until Jan/Feb, simply because of a lack of space at the training facilities. I think they can only do 3 concurrent classes.

Belfastm21 wrote: »
    I've heard from a recruit who was in one of the first groups that there are 3 more classes pencilled in for 18th, 27th Nov and 3rd Dec. 20 in each group brings that up to 120 in the merit list. She also said that they have pencilled in 10 training classes of 20 people which brings it up 200 on the merit list. They won't start until Jan/Feb, simply because of a lack of space at the training facilities. I think they can only do 3 concurrent classes.

Excellent news - I didn't realise they were doing more than one intake at a time I had assumed that it was one class of 20 per month or something like that but if it is 3 groups running at once then that is definitely encouraging :)

Thanks for that information!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Shawsy wrote: »
    Excellent news - I didn't realise they were doing more than one intake at a time I had assumed that it was one class of 20 per month or something like that but if it is 3 groups running at once then that is definitely encouraging :)

Thanks for that information!!

As stated 3 intakes at a time - limited facilities numbers wise numbers are supposed to be about 200ish but still to be confirmed - certain level of fitness is required for the role but not to the extent of the PSNI

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Whippet5

Good news for someone. Just pulled the plug on November start. Better offer eventually came along after so much uncertainty and lack of information from NIPS over these past 7 months.
    Best of luck to you all and cheerio.

Whippet5 wrote: »
    Good news for someone. Just pulled the plug on November start. Better offer eventually came along after so much uncertainty and lack of information from NIPS over these past 7 months.
    Best of luck to you all and cheerio.

So you have completely withdrawn from the competition then Whippet5?
    Well done for finding something better for you, I know what you mean about the lack of info - its very frustrating and i'm not surprised that it might have put alot of people off working for NIPS.

Would you mind saying where you were roughly in the merit list?

Good luck :)

It seems the only certainty of getting in is actually getting a letter of offer. I have contacted recruitment a couple of times now and it depends on who you get speaking to. I suppose they have to cover all angles and say nothing which can be misinterpreted or used to get our hopes up. What I did get from the last person I spoke to was that there is a group of 20 pencilled in for last week in November so I would assume those 20 will hear pretty soon. I really don't know about the order of merit though and how that is being used. I have heard of people lower down the list getting offers before people higher than me and I am at 120-130.

Like some I had nearly given up hope as the process is so long and there is no real communication to keep you up to speed with what is happening. You are very much left in limbo just waiting and waiting.

Oh and can someone please let me know if there is a physical fitness element in the training? I passed the medical but if someone said I had to run up and down to the sound of that beeper or run a mile in so many minutes I would fail abismally.

It seems the only certainty of getting in is actually getting a letter of offer. I have contacted recruitment a couple of times now and it depends on who you get speaking to. I suppose they have to cover all angles and say nothing which can be misinterpreted or used to get our hopes up. What I did get from the last person I spoke to was that there is a group of 20 pencilled in for last week in November so I would assume those 20 will hear pretty soon. I really don't know about the order of merit though and how that is being used. I have heard of people lower down the list getting offers before people higher than me and I am at 120-130.

Like some I had nearly given up hope as the process is so long and there is no real communication to keep you up to speed with what is happening. You are very much left in limbo just waiting and waiting.

As far as i know the November groups is the October group that was put back due to the lack of space for so many at the college, but don't give up just yet, there is supposed to be more scheduled for the new year at the minute too. Good luck!

Also the fitness Is similar to beep but without the beep. Not that bad !

Oh God. That is me ruled out then! I cannot run for a bus never mind run in a fitness test. Can I ask how far you would be expected to run and how long for? Seriously, I am not exactly old but have not run since school although I would say my physical strength and agility is good though my speed and stamina is useless. I would hate to have gotten through all these stages for any possible future fitness element kill me! Now I am worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Oh God. That is me ruled out then! I cannot run for a bus never mind run in a fitness test. Can I ask how far you would be expected to run and how long for? Seriously, I am not exactly old but have not run since school although I would say my physical strength and agility is good though my speed and stamina is useless. I would hate to have gotten through all these stages for any possible future fitness element kill me! Now I am worried.

Fitness is not that difficult - what I would say is that it would be worthwhile getting out for a couple of short runs to start working on it. From memory you
    need to run 40 lengths of the gym in approx 3.30 mins - I managed it so I am sure that you will be fine - get some practice in while you can

• Advertisement

Honestly AH it's not that bad so don't be worrying about it !

Advertisement