Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

triple-M wrote: »
    I did,the lady on the phone said it was due to my address being in the south?,im not sure what difference that would make once the address was right and the correct postage was paid,but anyways everything was fine,ac in a week :)

Interesting as my address is in the north and got the previous letter ok. Oh well we'll just wait to see if anybody else had the same craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Postal service between Norn Iron and the South is appalling - a letter posted in Newry may take a week to get to its destination in Dundalk.
    These delays caused a few problems for Southern residents applying for the PSNI.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 chontour

Hi guys,

iv got my coming up and on the letter it makes no mention to dress code, i'd assume its standard shirt tie black trousers, but just to check with you guys so as i dont turn up looking like an overdressed try hard...

thanks!

STRIKE THAT, SHOULD HAVE CHECKED PREVIOUS PAGE AS IT'S ANSWERED THERE :) SORRY.

chontour wrote: »
    Hi guys,

iv got my coming up and on the letter it makes no mention to dress code, i'd assume its standard shirt tie black trousers, but just to check with you guys so as i dont turn up looking like an overdressed try hard...

thanks!

STRIKE THAT, SHOULD HAVE CHECKED PREVIOUS PAGE AS IT'S ANSWERED THERE :) SORRY.

I didn't see a dress code mentioned but that wouldnt be the 1st time i mis read something off that letter, i might see you there buddy i've mine soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 chontour

weepete wrote: »
    I didn't see a dress code mentioned but that wouldnt be the 1st time i mis read something off that letter, i might see you there buddy i've mine soon too.

i'll be the one looking like
    a nervous wreck

• Advertisement

Mod Note - Folks please take care to avoid making any mention of the times , dates or locations of any tests - this is in the interests of your personal security and that of other applicants. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I phoned them, bugger!! Even though I passed the initial test I didn't score high enough to proceed to the next stage. I will be kept on the reserve list for 12 months! If nothing comes up then I am failed.

Ah well, wasn't meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Goonerdee wrote: »
    I phoned them, bugger!! Even though I passed the initial test I didn't score high enough to proceed to the next stage. I will be kept on the reserve list for 12 months! If nothing comes up then I am failed.

Ah well, wasn't meant to be.

Sorry to hear that

J

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Little Loki

Does anyone have any idea what kind of things we'll be doind in the assessment centre, even anyone have any exp of the PSNI one?

Does anyone have any idea what kind of things we'll be doind in the assessment centre, even anyone have any exp of the PSNI one?

Firstly little loki, love the name, secondly as i've just done my assessment centre i could tell you all about it, now moderators before you censor me, yes i did recieve the warning not to pass on information from the team at the AC, however i think letting the people know that there is a verbal, written and observation tasks involved is not in breach of this, and if it is, folks please enjoy the big black censoring box above

And lastly goonerdee, sorry to here that buddy, we've shared the same ups and downs of this type of thing for a year or two now.

• Advertisement

Not a problem weepete , its perfectly ok to give a very broad outline as you have done - its when people start getting specific and saying things like '' in scenario 1 you will be acting the role of y and dealing with xyz situation '' that us mods start getting restless.
    So long as specific questions or scenarios are not discussed all will be cool.

Firstly little loki, love the name, secondly as i've just done my assessment centre i could tell you all about it, now moderators before you censor me, yes i did recieve the warning not to pass on information from the team at the AC, however i think letting the people know that there is a verbal, written and observation tasks involved is not in breach of this, and if it is, folks please enjoy the big black censoring box above

And lastly goonerdee, sorry to here that buddy, we've shared the same ups and downs of this type of thing for a year or two now.

Just like the PSNI all over again lol. Though to be honest I think I took the PSNI Dear John letter much harder than this one.

I know what you mean goonerdee, i'd say any of us who applied for this see it as a consolation prize.

Delancey, now why would people want to give their competition a better chance than they had by disclosing the questions / answers, but i know it happens but i will say it was a lot less stressful than psni AC

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Just done mine today - all I can say is be yourself, relax and get involved - not to bad - thought the PSNI one was more taxing - all the best

Delancey, now why would people want to give their competition a better chance than they had by disclosing the questions / answers, but i know it happens but i will say it was a lot less stressful than psni AC

I dunno why people do it but for same strange reason they do and potentially torpedo their own chances - PSNI AC is indeed a stressful experience and if its any consolation it is really hard to gauge how well you have done - some people were amazed / dissappointed at their scores.

thanks weepete, I first joined this site when I got my dog and I called him Loki :) Thanks for sharing! I wouldn't expect to be told any more, just curiosity. Did anyone else think it was strange we didn't get our scores like the PSNI? I wonder how may are through to the AC, Id guess no less than 600 (1:3) at best.

thanks weepete, I first joined this site when I got my dog and I called him Loki :) Thanks for sharing! I wouldn't expect to be told any more, just curiosity. Did anyone else think it was strange we didn't get our scores like the PSNI? I wonder how may are through to the AC, Id guess no less than 600 (1:3) at best.

I wanted to call my german shepard loki but the wife was havin none of it, is he a big mean old dog as the name would suggest? I only got the score for my ist for the 2nd of my psni ist's which were the last two campagins got through both times to the ac so not sure what the norm is

I was flipping a coin betwwen a GS and a husky, but got husky. Loki is the norse god of mischief and destruction and yes he's lived up to it. When he was a pup I (and the dog warden) was ready to crack up with him escaping and destroying expensive stuff like shoes, sofas, floors (plural is not an error). I went in for PSNI too in 2010 but didn't get through as only finished 3/4 of test due to 'drawing a blank' nerves, but still only missed by 2 marks. I thought this one was much more straighforward or maybe I wasn't so nervous as I knew I couldn't afford to be.

I was flipping a coin betwwen a GS and a husky, but got husky. Loki is the norse god of mischief and destruction and yes he's lived up to it. When he was a pup I (and the dog warden) was ready to crack up with him escaping and destroying expensive stuff like shoes, sofas, floors (plural is not an error). I went in for PSNI too in 2010 but didn't get through as only finished 3/4 of test due to 'drawing a blank' nerves, but still only missed by 2 marks. I thought this one was much more straighforward or maybe I wasn't so nervous as I knew I couldn't afford to be.

I thought it was easy, so was shocked to find I hadn't scored high enough. I must have misunderstood the questions. I bet it was the writing one rather than the maths one!!

By the way Loki if you are on facebook there is a page called Free Spirit Siberian Rescue. You will see it is in a Husky's nature to escape and that they can do it easily!

Oh I know all too well, he ran away for the last time last year and was not picked up for three days and he was starvin. I think that has put him off. That and he's in love with the girl husky down the road so he keeps going to her back gate if he ever gets out, now he's working out how to break in then I'll be in real trouble :eek: lol
    Remember the maths question about the floor area, I worked it out twice and got 2 different answers then did it a third time and got the right one. I went over all the questions twice and changed some as upon closer inspection the right answer wasn't obvious, so if you were doing it quick you couls have missed it. I changed about 3 questions which could have been the difference between making it and not, I can see how you could make simple genuine errors due to time pressure and over or under thinking the comprehension Qs.

• Advertisement

I found the NIPS ist on a par with the PSNI one questions were a tad harder yet you had a calculator to work things out for the math bit, written bit was excatly the same. FYI loki was also the right hand of God known as the angel of death and was used to "strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know My name is the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon thee."
    And was responsible for the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, with his big flaming sword! I'm not a religious man but my top choice dog names are Loki and Zeus, so if you happen to come across a prision dog handler in the future with a dog named either of those it might just be me.

Erm the first bit sounds more like me than my dog, lol. My other dog names were Fenrir and Conan. I chose Fenrir but it was hard to say so changed my mind, I used to live beside people who english wasn't their first language and they though he was called Lucky, lol , used to drive me nuts! P.s. if you want a dog called Loki you can have him!

If you caome across a prison officer looking to pawn off a dog called Loki, you'll know it was me! ;-)

Erm the first bit sounds more like me than my dog, lol. My other dog names were Fenrir and Conan. I chose Fenrir but it was hard to say so changed my mind, I used to live beside people who english wasn't their first language and they though he was called Lucky, lol , used to drive me nuts! P.s. if you want a dog called Loki you can have him!

If you caome across a prison officer looking to pawn off a dog called Loki, you'll know it was me! ;-)

Well were not in yet, would love a husky yet by the sounds of it he'd only help mine make Bigger holes under the garden fence than already exist, i fear we may get shouted at for hi-jacking the thread, so back to business, did you say you had done a psni AC and have you done your NIPS AC yet? it was a good bit different but the recruitment people seam to be on the ball a lot better than deliotte where, perhaps the fewer numbers helped with that thou!

Well were not in yet, would love a husky yet by the sounds of it he'd only help mine make Bigger holes under the garden fence than already exist, i fear we may get shouted at for hi-jacking the thread, so back to business, did you say you had done a psni AC and have you done your NIPS AC yet? it was a good bit different but the recruitment people seam to be on the ball a lot better than deliotte where, perhaps the fewer numbers helped with that thou!

I know I was only jesting. No never got through PSNI IST, missed by 2 marks, was my own fault for leaving 25% blank and not being better prepared. My AC is this (YEAR, OR CENTURY MAYBE - thanks Goonerdee, lol), just got a new job and had to ask for 1/2 off already and I do strange things when I lie so told them the truth, god damn honesty. Have u done urs yet?

Yea did it yesterday think it was the first day of them, wether were placed in order of score i dont know there didnt seam to be much of a noticable pattern to it, i'd posted earlier about what to expect well a brief outline anyway, just make sure you have every document and copies that they ask for and all forms filled out fully, you wont get turfed out if you dont it'll just mean you have to send them in potentially holding up your progress i read the letter 6 times and still nearly missed 3 documents off it but ended up missing just the one cause i had to get a nurse to fill it in, i'd say gettin all the documents and forms done was almost harder work than the AC itself! A lot more stressful anyway.

Little Loki, best not saying when your test is!

Little Loki, best not saying when your test is!

Sorry Goonerdee you're right. Backtrack - This year! i meant My AC is this year....
    .....maybe? ;)

Oh no, now weepete quoted your post, he will have to delete it as well. Ooops

Yea did it yesterday think it was the first day of them, wether were placed in order of score i dont know there didnt seam to be much of a noticable pattern to it, i'd posted earlier about what to expect well a brief outline anyway, just make sure you have every document and copies that they ask for and all forms filled out fully, you wont get turfed out if you dont it'll just mean you have to send them in potentially holding up your progress i read the letter 6 times and still nearly missed 3 documents off it but ended up missing just the one cause i had to get a nurse to fill it in, i'd say gettin all the documents and forms done was almost harder work than the AC itself! A lot more stressful anyway.

I know my doc rang me yesterday to say my immunisation history has disappeared :confused: So I've had to request it in writing from the health board, nothing is ever straightforward when you need it. Also my ID is coming back (hopefully tomorrow) from another Access NI check, and my other ID I have just discovered is out of date, the gods are pitted against me this time

• Advertisement

Oh no, now weepete quoted your post, he will have to delete it as well. Ooops

Done,

Loki i rang the nurse for my BCG records and my record was one of only 4 left for people born in th same year as me, the gods were with me on that one.

Advertisement