Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sydnor

Tomorrow is my first full day back at work since I got the call.

It's going to be unbearably slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Belfastm21

I've been working since Friday and will continue straight through til next Monday with only Tuesday off! Suppose it keeps me busy instead of wishing it was one week further on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Shawsy

Hi can anyone tell me how long the training period in millisle is?
    Is it 8 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

Shawsy wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell me how long the training period in millisle is?
    Is it 8 weeks?

Yes 8 weeks and then 8 weeks at each of the prisons.

Well I finally got the call!!
    Starting 26th November :)

• Advertisement

Good on you look forward to putting some faces to the nick names, so is that 5 classes running concurrently this time round, add that to the 3 currently starting we should be in and around 160 new recruits or FNG's!

Congratulations :)

weepete wrote: »
    Good on you look forward to putting some faces to the nick names, so is that 5 classes running concurrently this time round, add that to the 3 currently starting we should be in and around 160 new recruits or FNG's!

I know can't wait to get started and meet everyone!
    Just waiting on my info pack now so once I get that ill be handing in my notice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Yes 8 weeks and then 8 weeks at each of the prisons.

Training period is approx 51 weeks - as stated 8 at the college and then approx 8 at each establishment and the remainder is on the job at your notional station with further days as required at the college. 67j

1967J wrote: »
    Training period is approx 51 weeks - as stated 8 at the college and then approx 8 at each establishment and the remainder is on the job at your notional station with further days as required at the college. 67j

So do you know is the training period in each of the prisons going to be shift hours or 9-5 like the college? Just wondering and I suppose I should have asked her on the phone today but I was so happy to get the call I didn't think!!

• Advertisement

So do you know is the training period in each of the prisons going to be shift hours or 9-5 like the college? Just wondering and I suppose I should have asked her on the phone today but I was so happy to get the call I didn't think!!

Pretty sure once you're settled into each of the prisons you're on normal shift hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭missyk1

Well done !!

Aye I think it's 8-8 shifts in each of the prisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Initial 2 weeks is domestic shifts and then on to establishment rota for remainder - all will be explained when you start- Congrats and welcome to the mad house

Well done everyone

College is 8-4,
    1st week in establishment is also 8-4 then you go unto shift work, Definately not 8-8 everyday ! :(

1967J wrote: »

Initial 2 weeks is domestic shifts and then on to establishment rota for remainder - all will be explained when you start- Congrats and welcome to the mad house

Just back from the open evening, the staff are really friendly. Looking forward to monday now!

Same here, weepete. All feels very real now. Got talking to a few from the class, but looking forward to meeting everyone properly on Monday.

So how many of us here were at the open night last night?

So I just got another call asking me to start a week earlier than planned, so now starting on 19th November :)

Anybody else starting on the 19th? If so what night is the familiarisation night on? Just trying to sort things and I have to wait on the new pack now.

So I just got another call asking me to start a week earlier than planned, so now starting on 19th November :)

Anybody else starting on the 19th? If so what night is the familiarisation night on? Just trying to sort things and I have to wait on the new pack now.

Its normally the tuesday before you start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

When is the next recruitment for this?- I absolutely missed this one!!!!!

I'm starting on the 19th too :)

Got the same call you did this morning but I had to tell them I was already starting on the 19th.

I believe the familiarisation night is on the 14th.

sydnor wrote: »
    I'm starting on the 19th too :)

Got the same call you did this morning but I had to tell them I was already starting on the 19th.

I believe the familiarisation night is on the 14th.

Oh so the Wed night instead of the Tues then? I should hopefully get my pack tonight which will tell me anyways!

See you there then :)

How did today go, new blues ?!

missyk1 wrote: »
    How did today go, new blues ?!

It was good fun, alot of tea and biscuits taken and just getting a to know our fellow classmates, tutors and the lay of the land but i suppose that'll all stop tomorrow, first establishment visit in the morning. Time to see how the machine really works.

It was good fun, alot of tea and biscuits taken and just getting a to know our fellow classmates, tutors and the lay of the land but i suppose that'll all stop tomorrow, first establishment visit in the morning. Time to see how the machine really works.

Where you for ? We are also out and about today :)

missyk1 wrote: »

Where you for ? We are also out and about today :)

Maghaberry, today was bit of an eye opener but in a good way, dont think anyone has been put off by it if anything a few fears and concerns were put to bed.

Where abouts were you today, week out doin other training?

Maghaberry, today was bit of an eye opener but in a good way, dont think anyone has been put off by it if anything a few fears and concerns were put to bed.

Up at hydebank doing the last of our training, familiarisation tomorrow in mgy. Then that's us for 10 weeks or there abouts. One of the tutors said you were Definately not 'wee' lol

Up at hydebank doing the last of our training, familiarisation tomorrow in mgy. Then that's us for 10 weeks or there abouts. One of the tutors said you were Definately not 'wee' lol

• Advertisement

Advertisement