Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

missyk1 wrote: »

Up at hydebank doing the last of our training, familiarisation tomorrow in mgy. Then that's us for 10 weeks or there abouts. One of the tutors said you were Definately not 'wee' lol

Yea meet 1967j after training today, had a good chat, actually he recognised me from the AC then we put 2 and 2 together, he was a tad confused with the irony of my nick name, which of the tutors was givin you the low down on the new blue squad? (Initials will suffice, dymanic security and what not!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sydnor

The news this morning brings it into perspective a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Shawsy

Can't believe the news this morning!!
    My family are going nuts...........

I'd say there may be a few people reconsidering their decisions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

absolutely shocking news this morning. what a terrible start for new recruits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭missyk1

absolutely shocking news this morning. what a terrible start for new recruits.

Terrible day for the organisation as a whole and not forgetting the family

• Advertisement

What a sad day :(

weepete wrote: »

Yea meet 1967j after training today, had a good chat, actually he recognised me from the AC then we put 2 and 2 together, he was a tad confused with the irony of my nick name, which of the tutors was givin you the low down on the new blue squad? (Initials will suffice, dymanic security and what not!)

Tell you when I see you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

Sad day for service, my thoughts are with the family.

Tell you when I see you ;)

No worries, they made themselves known today

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

Terrible day for the organisation as a whole and not forgetting the family
    Well yes obviously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Mod Note -

Just a stark reminder of the need for everyone to maintain the highest standards in terms of personal security and safety.
    Everyone on this thread has stuck to that so far I am pleased to say.

Thoughts with the PO's family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Morrika

This murder has been a reminder for everyone that this is a dangerous profession. Some may decide not to follow this particular path as a result of the heightened risk and there is no dishonor in that choice. Most, like me, will decide to carry on. This is all about personal choice and I choose not to let some idiots who sell drugs, extort money and murder innocent people under the smokescreen of a political dream dictate to me where I can or can't work.
    My sympathies are with the family who in their reaction to this cowardly murder have shown more courage and resolve than the thugs ever will.

Morrika wrote: »
    This murder has been a reminder for everyone that this is a dangerous profession. Some may decide not to follow this particular path as a result of the heightened risk and there is no dishonor in that choice. Most, like me, will decide to carry on. This is all about personal choice and I choose not to let some idiots who sell drugs, extort money and murder innocent people under the smokescreen of a political dream dictate to me where I can or can't work.
    My sympathies are with the family who in their reaction to this cowardly murder have shown more courage and resolve than the thugs ever will.

I think you have summed it up brilliantly! My family are worried for me now more than ever but this is definitely something I will not be giving up based on fear - we would never get anywhere in life if we don't take risks for the things we want. I was disgusted at what happened last week but I will not let that change the decision I made months ago - good luck to you :)

Shawsy wrote: »
    I think you have summed it up brilliantly! My family are worried for me now more than ever but this is definitely something I will not be giving up based on fear - we would never get anywhere in life if we don't take risks for the things we want. I was disgusted at what happened last week but I will not let that change the decision I made months ago - good luck to you :)
    Thanks, I passed the medical last Thursday and there was at least one no show on the day so here's hoping!

Thanks, I passed the medical last Thursday and there was at least one no show on the day so here's hoping!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, I got my call about 4 weeks after the medical but hopefully you will hear something before christmas :)

I have just noticed that most of those posting here who have recently started their training have deleted their accounts, I assume this has been at the behest of NIPS in the interests of security, good luck to them all!

I have just noticed that most of those posting here who have recently started their training have deleted their accounts, I assume this has been at the behest of NIPS in the interests of security, good luck to them all!

I hadn't noticed that actually - you could be right!!

Can't wait to get told to delete my account, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Hope not - I'll be left here on my own then.......

Until PSNI recruitment re-opens and they'll all come back. I'm sure they will all read the posts even if the stop posting public messages.

What merit place are you?

230-240ish, you?

I'm way down mate - 460ish.

Will be very quiet here without some of the guys who have closed their accounts.

• Advertisement

They have probably had a scary briefing on Friday, I see some of the less recent recruits haven't deleted their accounts maybe they just don't use this anymore

I'm in :D;)

I'm in :D;)

Congratulations mate , that just leaves me then..... Could be a lonely wait!

Cheers, they seem to be working through them rightly. With failed medicals and people changing their minds you might get word sooner than you think. Good luck!

Cheers, they seem to be working through them rightly. With failed medicals and people changing their minds you might get word sooner than you think. Good luck!

Not sure I really want it any more - Nothimg to do with the recent murder of Mr Black. I have started a new job which I enjoying and the pay etc doesn't seem to be quite as good as it appeared to be - maybe someone who has got I'm could clarify this though. The other reason is that I think the psni will recruit soon enough and that is where I reall want to be.

Congratulations again mate - I hope you enjoy it. Wish some of the guys who got in would let us know how they are getting on!

Starts at £18000 plus overtime goes upto £21000 after 1.5-2 years then up to £23000 after the next few yrs. 37 holidays and I would guess a more straightforward shift pattern. After 2016 you can apply for supervisor posts were pay goes upto £27000.
    A word of caution, having been through both nips and psni recruitment and having seen both are very similar at all stages except the medical, I would guess that like me your merit place would not be too dissimilar in both depending on number of applicants so you would be depending on psni recruiting 8 or 9 squads 400-450 recruits. I think if they are gonna give garnerville one last go it will likely be for only 4 squads to get maximum use for the shortest time. I was around 400 in psni merit list when I got in but I think there were something like 10-15000 applicants.
    I wouldn't want anyone to hold their breath only to be disappointed by a token recruitment campaign where the odds are stacked against them, hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

Starts at £18000 plus overtime goes upto £21000 after 1.5-2 years then up to £23000 after the next few yrs. 37 holidays and I would guess a more straightforward shift pattern. After 2016 you can apply for supervisor posts were pay goes upto £27000.
    A word of caution, having been through both nips and psni recruitment and having seen both are very similar at all stages except the medical, I would guess that like me your merit place would not be too dissimilar in both depending on number of applicants so you would be depending on psni recruiting 8 or 9 squads 400-450 recruits. I think if they are gonna give garnerville one last go it will likely be for only 4 squads to get maximum use for the shortest time. I was around 400 in psni merit list when I got in but I think there were something like 10-15000 applicants.
    I wouldn't want anyone to hold their breath only to be disappointed by a token recruitment campaign where the odds are stacked against them, hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

I actually had a lower merit place last time in psni campaign and I think I could do better on a second attempt at ac. The thing is that psni is where I really want to be, and also I am happy enough in the job I am currently in at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hammath1

So I've just done my medical. Was told by all staff on the day that I was for for work etc and all fine.

Next step is a job offer if I've read this right? Anyone think the chances are good even though it's late on? And timescale?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

The reward does not seem to match whats expected of an officer.

Is it correct that the pay has went down for the new recruits?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hammath1

Got the call!

Advertisement