Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

just got a date for my medical,3 days time!!although the letter was sent last thursday so may have been delayed over the bank holiday weekend, bit awkward to be given such short notice but im happy enough just to have a date and to get the ball back rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Wildrover123

triple-M wrote: »
    just got a date for my medical,3 days time!!although the letter was sent last thursday so may have been delayed over the bank holiday weekend, bit awkward to be given such short notice but im happy enough just to have a date and to get the ball back rolling

Good stuff mines at 1 o'clock today will let u know how it goes!

Medical went good passed it and all so happy chappy! Was much as I expected went in and the first nurse took my height, weight, eyesight, eye colour test and then a urine sample. The doctor then went over previous medical history and then did flexibility tests and checks on my chest. Then final part was the hearing test which was straight forward enough. All the best with it ull be grand I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Alright folks, I originally applied for the post when it was originally announced last year, never got a call, but found out that my application was lost which they apologised for, which was a bit gutting lol however they did tell me it was more than likely that they would recruit again, which they just announced there, was reading the telegraph and its there in the paper, just wondering what do you's think? I gotta admit my main focus was always the police and this was a stepping stone, and the police are to recruit sometime this year, just don't know what to do lol, just wondering on some advice?

Alright folks, I originally applied for the post when it was originally announced last year, never got a call, but found out that my application was lost which they apologised for, which was a bit gutting lol however they did tell me it was more than likely that they would recruit again, which they just announced there, was reading the telegraph and its there in the paper, just wondering what do you's think? I gotta admit my main focus was always the police and this was a stepping stone, and the police are to recruit sometime this year, just don't know what to do lol, just wondering on some advice?

No harm in applying for prison service then if the police comes up go for it as well better to leave ur options open! Also it's not clear how many the police will be recruiting and it may be harder to get into than the prison service so ud be safer leaving ur options open but that's only my opinion!

• Advertisement

That's what I was thinking myself mate, especially in this environment with the economy the way it is, its all about keeping options open.

Medical went good passed it and all so happy chappy! Was much as I expected went in and the first nurse took my height, weight, eyesight, eye colour test and then a urine sample. The doctor then went over previous medical history and then did flexibility tests and checks on my chest. Then final part was the hearing test which was straight forward enough. All the best with it ull be grand I'm sure!
    So once the medical is passed I take it thats more or less it?Is the next stage an offer of a job?

So once the medical is passed I take it thats more or less it?Is the next stage an offer of a job?

Yea think so just waiting on call now!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Little Loki

Any feedback on your ctc? In progress is really making me wonder what's taking so long...

dont worry mine took 4 weeks to say it was completed it says on the form can take up to 8 weeks so just be patient ull be grand!

• Advertisement

Any feedback on your ctc? In progress is really making me wonder what's taking so long...
    mine is still in progress submitted about 2-3 weeks ago,I live and work in the south so i-d imagine that will hold it up even more,to get vetting done by the garda down here took 9 months the last time i needed it done!so im wondering if a ctc check requires full Garda vetting or if its seperate to that :(

Anyone have any inside info on a training starting date or even an educated guess? I'd say with the way things are going maybe another 6 to 8 weeks from now maybe?

mine is still in progress submitted about 2-3 weeks ago,I live and work in the south so i-d imagine that will hold it up even more,to get vetting done by the garda down here took 9 months the last time i needed it done!so im wondering if a ctc check requires full Garda vetting or if its seperate to that :(

9 months is a bit long, I'd say it'd mostly be independent but who knows? It might help in some way that you have been cleared before by the Garda?

I was to talking to a girl in training ATM and she did her medical then got a call 2 days later and she started her training 3 weeks after that so it probs goes quickly once u finish ur medical!

Training would start at a set date for everyone surely which means it could be weeks away for some people and much sooner or later than others who have passed everything and accepted offers? I have no word of a medical yet but have been waiting on postman since last week when I heard a few on here had medicals this week. Well done on passing your medicals btw!

Training would start at a set date for everyone surely which means it could be weeks away for some people and much sooner or later than others who have passed everything and accepted offers? I have no word of a medical yet but have been waiting on postman since last week when I heard a few on here had medicals this week. Well done on passing your medicals btw!

Well there's 9 classes apparently so I'd say one might start in 3 or 4 weeks then another one 3 or 4 weeks after that but will let use know if I get the call this week! Ull pass ur medical ok it's grand nothing to worry about!

9 months is a bit long, I'd say it'd mostly be independent but who knows? It might help in some way that you have been cleared before by the Garda?
    Hopefully,I was also cleared by the scottish police recently which took about 6-7 months as the forms spent months sitting on a Gardas desk waiting to be checked due to a serious backlog down here,so hopefully the scot cops and nips would kindly share information to speed it up a bit for me,I mentioned on the ctc form that I have been vetted twice in the last year and a half so fingers crossed ;-)

I was to talking to a girl in training ATM and she did her medical then got a call 2 days later and she started her training 3 weeks after that so it probs goes quickly once u finish ur medical!
    I sure hope so,the system for vetting here is horribly inefficient and understaffed and many people lose out on jobs due to the delays

Can any of you guys shed a little light on some things for me, like pay wise do you start immediately as in training on 18k and does it stay at this rate for your probation period, or does it jump at all once you have completed your initial 10 week training, i'm just trying to do the maths in my head, if it is 18k that leaves after tax and what not over a grand a month and then taking into consideration the cost of fuel as most of the prisons will involve a bit of travel, and also the situation we're in atm in Northern Ireland i.e. PO's being targets for dissidents, are you supplied with personal protection weapons and what not, I have no problem with the threat i'm fully aware of it, so that doesn't deter me, i'm just wondering as previous po's were issued ppw's are the new recruits issued them too especially under the circumstances that we find ourselves now, and the job states 18-23k starting, but what the hell does that mean lol?

Can any of you guys shed a little light on some things for me, like pay wise do you start immediately as in training on 18k and does it stay at this rate for your probation period, or does it jump at all once you have completed your initial 10 week training, i'm just trying to do the maths in my head, if it is 18k that leaves after tax and what not over a grand a month and then taking into consideration the cost of fuel as most of the prisons will involve a bit of travel, and also the situation we're in atm in Northern Ireland i.e. PO's being targets for dissidents, are you supplied with personal protection weapons and what not, I have no problem with the threat i'm fully aware of it, so that doesn't deter me, i'm just wondering as previous po's were issued ppw's are the new recruits issued them too especially under the circumstances that we find ourselves now, and the job states 18-23k starting, but what the hell does that mean lol?
    Once u complete ur probation period it goes up to 23k which is a good salary. From talking to other people who are in the training u get paid as soon as u start training and they also cover all ur travelling costs as well as other driving costs so it's good in that way. And I'm sure there'll be the chance to earn over time if u wish. I got a call today just have to leave a few forms up tomorrow and il be starting training on 6th may

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

New vacancies guys.

Once u complete ur probation period it goes up to 23k which is a good salary. From talking to other people who are in the training u get paid as soon as u start training and they also cover all ur travelling costs as well as other driving costs so it's good in that way. And I'm sure there'll be the chance to earn over time if u wish. I got a call today just have to leave a few forms up tomorrow and il be starting training on 6th may

Nice one bud, good luck and all the best with your training and the career, And thanks for the info, it really has helped :)

What do you think Gooner? You gonna give it a go bud?

Nice one bud, good luck and all the best with your training and the career, And thanks for the info, it really has helped :)

Cheers maybe see u sooner rather than later ha ha!

Tempted. I have a friend who got in a few months ago, they love it.

There are four types of jobs. Custody Prison officer, which is the prison officers and Prisoner Custody Officers who would be based largely around the courts, hence the requirement for driving licences.

Yeah I'm very tempted myself! I think I'm gonna throw in an application and see what happens, for the typical prison officer role that is, always nice to keep options open

Nice one, well done! Still waiting on this end...!

CTC completed in 3 weeks as of today, dont know what to make of that! Hurry up med letter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cowtown

Still waiting on my letter for my medical too!! This waiting is excruciating!!

Mmm, just looking at my letter from NIPS last time I applied, it says I didn't get a high enough score to go on to the next phase but they would keep my name on record for 12 months.

It hasn't been 12 months yet, does anyone know if this would stop me from applying?! :(

• Advertisement

I don't think it'll affect your chances Gooner, I threw in an application the moment the first time recruitment was open, didn't hear anything what so ever, and when I did phone they said "ooh embarrassing, we've misplaced your application" lol gutting to say the least but anyway they couldn't accommodate me, as tests were booked and had already taken place, but I actually contacted the recruitment help line yesterday afternoon after work and said could I apply again, they said they more than welcomed if I wanted to apply again, my cousin was in the same position as yourself and didn't score high enough that time around and he's thrown in another application, so I think your good to throw in an application as many times as you want, I have mine filled out and just need to post it

Advertisement