Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Is there a fitness exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sharon1986

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Is there a fitness exam?

No actual fitness exam but there will be a medical to confirm general good health etc.

I just read on the bbc news web page that psni is being challenged about recruiting staff through resource so that's gonna be a no go together with the fact Resource led people to believe this was a long term position when in fact it was only for three years!!

Full efforts into NIPS recruitment now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

That's my AC done now, up to the gods now lol good luck everyone!

That's my AC done now, up to the gods now lol good luck everyone!

How'd u find it? Was any timescales given?

• Advertisement

sharon1986 wrote: »
    How'd u find it? Was any timescales given?

Yeah I think it was alright a bit nervous heading into each assessment but other than that can't complain, don't know what to think to be honest on how I did time will tell, was told will hear yay or nay by mid July time

Yeah I think it was alright a bit nervous heading into each assessment but other than that can't complain, don't know what to think to be honest on how I did time will tell, was told will hear yay or nay by mid July time

Has anyone any ideas of job numbers?

Has anyone any ideas of job numbers?

None really, I'm thinking maybe 100 maybe more I could be wrong, nearly 600 odd took early retirement and i think 300 odd already have taken up role, a fella I went to school with got in last campaign and I was speaking to him the other day, he said they need a lot more really so all just a guess really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Hey guys,

Does anyone know what kind of salary is expected for this role,

Thanks

Hey guys,

Does anyone know what kind of salary is expected for this role,

Thanks

PCO is 8.89 an hour. Custody officer starts at 18000 and progresses to 23000. I really hope I get in - fingers crossed they are looking plenty of females.

• Advertisement

PCO is 8.89 an hour. Custody officer starts at 18000 and progresses to 23000. I really hope I get in - fingers crossed they are looking plenty of females.

I think they are looking loads of females Sharon, at the test and the AC I was at, well more ladies than guys definitely lol

I think they are looking loads of females Sharon, at the test and the AC I was at, well more ladies than guys definitely lol

Highbury lad, can you tell me what was the dress code please?

Highbury lad, can you tell me what was the dress code please?

I went in a suit, there were guys there with trainers in jeans and a tee, one of the admin people I knew who is a friend of my mums said dress code wasn't mentioned but it would be noted what was worn, it's a disciplined uniformed service you know so the smarter the better, I've got a feeling that it would be noted if you turned up in jeans and a tee and not in a good note, some dude was there in flip flops lol can't say that would look too well lol, most if not all the ladies were wearing smart business, I would go with that

I went in a suit, there were guys there with trainers in jeans and a tee, one of the admin people I knew who is a friend of my mums said dress code wasn't mentioned but it would be noted what was worn, it's a disciplined uniformed service you know so the smarter the better, I've got a feeling that it would be noted if you turned up in jeans and a tee and not in a good note, some dude was there in flip flops lol can't say that would look too well lol, most if not all the ladies were wearing smart business, I would go with that

I was going to go proffessional, so, glad to hear it.

I was going to go proffessional, so, glad to hear it.

Yeah definitely, it doesn't hurt to go pro lol

http://www.dojni.gov.uk/de/index/ni-prison-service/nips-publications/reports-reviews-nips/prison-service-pay-review-body-ninth-report.pdf

Found this when I was doing a bit more research, interesting find, the ninth prison service pay review which was done there in April, shows you pay scales etc, allowances that potentially were going to be taken away apparently now because of circumstances etc are going to stay in place as well as expenses when needed for security situations, thought I would post for those interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nico96

Got my assessment centre tomorrow at 1pm, any tips? So nervous

Nico96 wrote: »
    Got my assessment centre tomorrow at 1pm, any tips? So nervous

How'd you get on?

How'd you get on?

Not too bad at all i think, thought it was gonna be much worse, the group conversation was good but a bit awkward lol just gave everything my best shot and i suppose thats the best we can all do

Not too bad at all i think, thought it was gonna be much worse, the group conversation was good but a bit awkward lol just gave everything my best shot and i suppose thats the best we can all do

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear?

I coulda sworn one of the assessors said at latest mid July, but I could be wrong, a friend of mine who got in last campaign said this part was the quickest turn-a-round, however I've kept him informed of my progress and he said this whole process seems to have been a lot quicker from the last campaign, I think today was the last for the assessment centre, could be wrong but pretty sure

I coulda sworn one of the assessors said at latest mid July, but I could be wrong, a friend of mine who got in last campaign said this part was the quickest turn-a-round, however I've kept him informed of my progress and he said this whole process seems to have been a lot quicker from the last campaign, I think today was the last for the assessment centre, could be wrong but pretty sure

Yeah the assessors said we would hear back in Mid july

Yeah the assessors said we would hear back in Mid july

Oh happy days not long to wait. I'm not over confident tho. Anyone know how many assessment centre sessions? I assume there were 24 people each session v how many jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭biker701

I assume everyone done an assessment centre in their county and we didn't all go to the same place? There was definitely 2 AC's held the day I had mine,

biker701 wrote: »
    I assume everyone done an assessment centre in their county and we didn't all go to the same place? There was definitely 2 AC's held the day I had mine,

Mine wasn't in the county I live in so I'm not sure. There were at least four sessions the day I went

I never thought that there would be other AC's in different counties, right enough, mine was in my home county, don't want to go into specifics for obvious reasons, is there other assessment centres goin on through out the country?

There was definitely 3 done on my day at the venue where it was taking place, one in the morn one around lunch and one in the afternoon, with about 30 in each group as far as I know, would love to know the number of positions they need to fill

Is there a reason behind the secrecy? I assume it can't really be security related considering PSNI recruitment is much more transparent, and arguably a more dangerous role? there was lots of rumours flying around at mine about the high turnover of staff and the low numbers that had progressed etc. thus loads of positions to fill, probably all BS like.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭craydon

biker701 wrote: »
    Is there a reason behind the secrecy? I assume it can't really be security related considering PSNI recruitment is much more transparent, and arguably a more dangerous role? there was lots of rumours flying around at mine about the high turnover of staff and the low numbers that had progressed etc. thus loads of positions to fill, probably all BS like.

I think it is security related as earlier in this thread there was a warning not to give anything away which may indentify you or where youll be at any given time. Considering who some of the people in these prisons are, it's important not to give away details of where and when prison officer wannabes will be! Also theres the recent murder of a prison officer.
    Hard to tell how my AC went! There was one part I literally zoned out and may as well have not been there for lol good luck everyone :)

• Advertisement

craydon wrote: »
    I think it is security related as earlier in this thread there was a warning not to give anything away which may indentify you or where youll be at any given time. Considering who some of the people in these prisons are, it's important not to give away details of where and when prison officer wannabes will be! Also theres the recent murder of a prison officer.
    Hard to tell how my AC went! There was one part I literally zoned out and may as well have not been there for lol good luck everyone :)

Think you misunderstood me, I was responding to the last line of HighburyLads post about the secrecy over numbers of those applied/got an AC/positions to fill. Would be nice to know what our chances are:) I'm aware of the risks of revealing locations etc.

Advertisement