Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Little Loki

weepete wrote: »
    Done,

Loki i rang the nurse for my BCG records and my record was one of only 4 left for people born in th same year as me, the gods were with me on that one.

What are they doing scrapping those records, they must be like 1 sheet in your medical file and an important one too, the receptionist at the surgery even asked me if my mother would remember when my immunisations were?? I said does it matter, she can't fill out the form??? What is wrong with these people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

What are they doing scrapping those records, they must be like 1 sheet in your medical file and an important one too, the receptionist at the surgery even asked me if my mother would remember when my immunisations were?? I said does it matter, she can't fill out the form??? What is wrong with these people?[/Quote]

I know the health trust i was in as a kid start destroyin your records when you turn 18 with most done by the time your 25 i'm a tad older than that so was amazed mine was still there but hey job done.

I know the health trust i was in as a kid start destroyin your records when you turn 18 with most done by the time your 25 i'm a tad older than that so was amazed mine was still there but hey job done.[/QUOTE]

Oh right, it makes sense now then. You would think the receptionist and doctor at the surgery would know that? I'm hanging on to my twenties by a threadbare rope so its no wonder then ;)

Oh right, it makes sense now then. You would think the receptionist and doctor at the surgery would know that? I'm hanging on to my twenties by a threadbare rope so its no wonder then ;)

Then my next problem is that unlike everyone in the world i dont have a bcg scar even thou i got one but the nurse signed off that i didnt have one so should save me gettin pricked again

Then my next problem is that unlike everyone in the world i dont have a bcg scar even thou i got one but the nurse signed off that i didnt have one so should save me gettin pricked again

I don't have one either, what does that mean?

• Advertisement

I don't have one either, what does that mean?

Think it means that none if the kids in our class punched us in the arm the day we got it and it didnt blister leaving a big ass scar on your left arm but i think the majority of people do have one, so they may wanna test you again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sydnor

What did people write for the BCG result? Pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

sydnor wrote: »
    What did people write for the BCG result? Pass?

I put yes and the approx year I got it - no visible scar and Docs had no records
    JB

1967J wrote: »
    I put yes and the approx year I got it - no visible scar and Docs had no records
    JB

I'm confused? Can you fill out the form yourself? My doc has no records and I don't think I'm gonna get them in time (I had to apply in writing to the Health and Care Board to request them). Will you be chucked out if you don't have it there and then. I'm ringing ahead tommorow to make them aware of it, but the amount of red tape around these things could be unfairly ridiculous. Either way I dont have much choice az its outta my hands unfortunately.

I'm confused? Can you fill out the form yourself? My doc has no records and I don't think I'm gonna get them in time (I had to apply in writing to the Health and Care Board to request them). Will you be chucked out if you don't have it there and then. I'm ringing ahead tommorow to make them aware of it, but the amount of red tape around these things could be unfairly ridiculous. Either way I dont have much choice az its outta my hands unfortunately.

You can fill out the Health Declaration Form (the yellow one)yourself, the only thing that had me stumped was the question about the BCG.

The form about whether you got the BCG has to be filled out by your Doctor. My test is tomorrow and I couldn't get an appointment on time. However, I was told a lot of people had experienced the same problems and you could mail the sheet in after you do your AC.

• Advertisement

You can fill out the Health Declaration Form (the yellow one)yourself, the only thing that had me stumped was the question about the BCG.

The form about whether you got the BCG has to be filled out by your Doctor. My test is tomorrow and I couldn't get an appointment on time. However, I was told a lot of people had experienced the same problems and you could mail the sheet in after you do your AC.

OMG thanks, I'm really panicking about the bureaucrary of it all as I recently got a job that also required enhanced Access Ni clearance and they haven't posted back my DL yet and my passport is out of date by a month. I'm bringing my paper copy and OOD passport and ringing about it tommorow but I'm still having supressed anxiety about it all cause I really just want a fair chance, and I'm afraid that all this BS could put a nail in the coffin :(

Well.....when they check your documents its a different group of people than the ones who register you for the AC and THEY had a sheet of paper with your details on and one of the passport photos you submitted at the IST so they can see you're who you say you are. BUT HOWEVER there is the ID validation form that requires a driving licence or (i assume valid) passport (which yours loki was probably indate at the time) and 2 other things, bank statments, electric/phone bills etc. Read that form carefully as they want photocopies of everything too. I beleive this is all in to help speed things up later on, so dont panic just yet i'm sure they'll let you send in your driving licence when you get it back, or else just confirm your status with access ni. As i had to send in my TB form after, i asked them to call me when they got it just to make sure and they did, they're very helpful.

As for the BCG the "six needles" test is the Heaf test a negitive test means you had to get the BCG as you were not immume to TB at the time, the newer test is the mautoux or something like that. Hope everyone finds that helpful and the best of luck for your ACs and if you have done them also good luck.

Done mine today.

Was quite frustrated by the observation test.

Done mine today.

Was quite frustrated by the observation test.

How so buddy? Its a bit of a silly test cause if you know your gonna be tested on it you look at everything, but ask me to tell you the colour of the fella sittin by the bar half an hour before a fight breaks out, how the hell should i know the colour i wasnt bein tested.

Well.....when they check your documents its a different group of people than the ones who register you for the AC and THEY had a sheet of paper with your details on and one of the passport photos you submitted at the IST so they can see you're who you say you are. BUT HOWEVER there is the ID validation form that requires a driving licence or (i assume valid) passport (which yours loki was probably indate at the time) and 2 other things, bank statments, electric/phone bills etc. Read that form carefully as they want photocopies of everything too. I beleive this is all in to help speed things up later on, so dont panic just yet i'm sure they'll let you send in your driving licence when you get it back, or else just confirm your status with access ni. As i had to send in my TB form after, i asked them to call me when they got it just to make sure and they did, they're very helpful.

As for the BCG the "six needles" test is the Heaf test a negitive test means you had to get the BCG as you were not immume to TB at the time, the newer test is the mautoux or something like that. Hope everyone finds that helpful and the best of luck for your ACs and if you have done them also good luck.

Thanks weepete, was speaking to the recruitment team on the phone today and they were very helpful and understanding. Then I got home and seen my driving license had been posted. Phew! That was a close one. Looking forward to it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

Hi folks, quick question for those who have already done the AC:

I know you obviously can't go into detail but just wondering if at any point you are asked to draw upon personal experiences relating to the skills/ competencies? I am aware that in the original letter it stated there will be no formal interview for the position, but just wondering if there is any other kind of situational interview or one-on-one questions on the day?

Trying to compare it to the PSNI AC for which you did not need to know any force information/ knowledge of the job etc, all the competencies were tested around customer service roles. So another question would be should we do lots of research and be aware of NIPS policies etc? Or is it basically testing common sense?

Thanks and all the best to everyone.

grad10 wrote: »

I know you obviously can't go into detail but just wondering if at any point you are asked to draw upon personal experiences relating to the skills/ competencies? I am aware that in the original letter it stated there will be no formal interview for the position, but just wondering if there is any other kind of situational interview or one-on-one questions on the day?

Trying to compare it to the PSNI AC for which you did not need to know any force information/ knowledge of the job etc, all the competencies were tested around customer service roles. So another question would be should we do lots of research and be aware of NIPS policies etc? Or is it basically testing common sense?

No there is no need for previous knowledge or skill, no situationa interview, completely different to the psni one, only thing that is prison based, (risk of bein censored here), is the observational test, the video is set in a prison but they dont ask anything specific to the job, its just general stuff.

No there is no need for previous knowledge or skill, no situationa interview, completely different to the psni one, only thing that is prison based, (risk of bein censored here), is the observational test, the video is set in a prison but they dont ask anything specific to the job, its just general stuff.

Great thanks weepete. Saves a lot of unnecessary research over the sunny weekend! Did they give any indication of timescales for start dates or even when you would get results?

How so buddy? Its a bit of a silly test cause if you know your gonna be tested on it you look at everything, but ask me to tell you the colour of the fella sittin by the bar half an hour before a fight breaks out, how the hell should i know the colour i wasnt bein tested.

I got mixed up with one thing.

Still reckon I got 90% overall though.

are the assessments over now? I just did mine today, mixed feelings about it, but overall not bad tbh. I thought I did best in the group excerise which is a surprise to me.

• Advertisement

are the assessments over now? I just did mine today, mixed feelings about it, but overall not bad tbh. I thought I did best in the group excerise which is a surprise to me.

I think they're only really starting. Most people only got their invites the week before last, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

had mine today too, thought it wasn't so bad in comparison to others I have done. Not really a very good way of testing for candidates for a role such as this IMO

swl33t wrote: »
    had mine today too, thought it wasn't so bad in comparison to others I have done. Not really a very good way of testing for candidates for a role such as this IMO

I thought it was a much better way than the police assessments.

May have been a little short to get a good impression but you can see the basic ideals they're trying to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

i had done roleplays for a couple of graduate jobs, which where tailored towards the role which in my opinion where much more useful, however its done lol best of luck

I think they're only really starting. Most people only got their invites the week before last, I think.

Would be interested to hear if anyone on hear still has the ACC to do - Not interested in details as I have done mine - just trying to guage when we moght hear - J

Would be interested to hear if anyone on hear still has the ACC to do - Not interested in details as I have done mine - just trying to guage when we moght hear - J

Mine isn't until next week.

I was told (from a reliable source but obviously don't take it as gospel) that approx 800 out of the approx 4500 who applied got through to the AC. So about a 1 in 4 chance of the getting the job from here on in. Was also told training will commence around November time.

I was told (from a reliable source but obviously don't take it as gospel) that approx 800 out of the approx 4500 who applied got through to the AC. So about a 1 in 4 chance of the getting the job from here on in. Was also told training will commence around November time.

Like the sound of that - do you have any idea how long the training period is - If I understand correctly salary is 18k when in training raising to 24k upon completion - Correct me if wrong

Like the sound of that - do you have any idea how long the training period is - If I understand correctly salary is 18k when in training raising to 24k upon completion - Correct me if wrong

I think that's not quite correct.

You do start off on 18K (as far as I know) but the salary doesn't rise until you've completed your probationary period of around two years.

I know the training and probation together is 51 weeks. Not sure how long the training alone is. Initial training takes place at the Prison Service College in Millisle and as well as that during training/probation you spend time working at each of the establishments. You also have to complete a qualification within 18-24 months in order to ensure continued employment and as a means of pay progression. It is expected you will have made significant progress towards the qualification before the end of the 51 week probationary period.

The salary scale is £18,000 - £23,000 per annum, and the job description says the salary scale will increase following the successful completion of training.

• Advertisement

I know the training and probation together is 51 weeks. Not sure how long the training alone is. Initial training takes place at the Prison Service College in Millisle and as well as that during training/probation you spend time working at each of the establishments. You also have to complete a qualification within 18-24 months in order to ensure continued employment and as a means of pay progression. It is expected you will have made significant progress towards the qualification before the end of the 51 week probationary period.

The salary scale is £18,000 - £23,000 per annum, and the job description says the salary scale will increase following the successful completion of training.

Gppd info, spot on, thanks!
    1 in 4 doesn't seem so bad. Can't wait to the AC is over so i can see how everyone feels they have done. quite fustrating not being able to talk about it. I think its like the initial assessemtn though, it could easily go either way as you dont know how evryone else has performed, but i'd said most people did alright as they passed the first one, so the comp could be tough.

Advertisement