Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sharon1986

I'm sorry folks, I have yet to receive my letter but I'm 100% certain I'm going to get the same as you all, and to be frank it's a load of bull! Don't worry when I get my letter I'll be writing an email and phoning telling them what I think about the whole fiasco, I applied last time and they lost my application and apologised and said they could do no more, when I asked about a year ago, so this doesn't surprise me, maybe this is the way it's supposed to be, all I can say is that when I get into the psni they'll be sorry they missed out on what could have been a great prison officer, there is people that went to that AC in flip flops and jeans, applying for a uniformed disciplined service??? and i have no doubt some of these people got medicals which is a load of bull, I'm not gonna be seconds to someone else because they aren't fit or can't pass vetting, if and when I get that letter, they'll be sorry when I'm on the phone lol, rant over :)

I have to say I am exactly the same - people that were at the AC that probably passed and are sitting in the queue for medicals! those that couldn't be bothered to even dress like they were attending for interview! makes me so cross as well! I, like the res of use here that have been following this anxiously over the past couple of months that want a career not just something to take them in off the dole queue coz a benefits officer has told them to apply!!! in fact one person that I was at the AC in the company of, when another person said "oh you'll not be able to take smoke breaks that easy" after he went out for his 5th in a row replied saying "I'll do what I want and if they don't like it they can stick their job!"
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . I don't want the PSNI as this is what I wanted so I guess I'll just have to sit and wait and hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Ted777

sharon1986 wrote: »
    I have to say I am exactly the same - people that were at the AC that probably passed and are sitting in the queue for medicals! those that couldn't be bothered to even dress like they were attending for interview! makes me so cross as well! I, like the res of use here that have been following this anxiously over the past couple of months that want a career not just something to take them in off the dole queue coz a benefits officer has told them to apply!!! in fact one person that I was at the AC in the company of, when another person said "oh you'll not be able to take smoke breaks that easy" after he went out for his 5th in a row replied saying "I'll do what I want and if they don't like it they can stick their job!"
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . I don't want the PSNI as this is what I wanted so I guess I'll just have to sit and wait and hope!!

I feel your pain at all of this I too have wanted to do this for a very long time I'm 38 I work but the prison service is what I want to change career to, I'm just awaiting the medical as you all know but sure nothing is guaranteed at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

If doesn't inspire me with confidence in the service, and maybe it's just me being bitter, but it is so disheartening from what I've been told on the phone, instead of the girls on the other end saying we don't know, they decide to spoon feed you guff, And don't get me wrong I know there is people who deserve to get into the job, Im trying not to take anything personal lol but it's hard not to, to be honest once I get the letter I'll be binning it and moving on and waiting for the end of September for the cops

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭craydon

So true guys.. In fact when I walked into my AC I was actually mortified as I felt overdressed and got definite "what's she wearing?!" Looks from those in the trainers and track suits lol. I only applied for one position, the one in the actual prison but get confused as to its correct name?

craydon wrote: »
    So true guys.. In fact when I walked into my AC I was actually mortified as I felt overdressed and got definite "what's she wearing?!" Looks from those in the trainers and track suits lol. I only applied for one position, the one in the actual prison but get confused as to its correct name?

Custody officer? That's the only position I applied for too

• Advertisement

That's the one lol! So the one that they're apparently filling up first- it's not that one right? Surely that gives us a little hope but seriously disheartening nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Cubacuba

Me too.

just called there to get me merit number! She said its not far from the cut of point they have, which means that depending on the numbers which pull out means I could get the vetting forms in a bit.

They are filling up PCO positions first as the courts are badly in need of these so it's not even guaranteed there are that many custody officer positions!!

if anyone wants to swap merit numbers PM me! ;)

Sharon what do you need to find out the merit number as I don't have any of my letters to hand - do they ask for your app number or is dob, address and name ok do you think?

• Advertisement

Sharon what do you need to find out the merit number as I don't have any of my letters to hand - do they ask for your app number or is dob, address and name ok do you think?

They need ur application number

Ill just wait til tomorrow when hopefully my letter will arrive! Are you a bit more confident now? If you hadnt been told you were close to the cut off point would your merit number alone be good do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Scottlad101

I applied for all positions! Still haven't heard anything back regarding the email i sent them! Can't understand how they can lie about merit list, and about how all letters were sent out! Sharon did you ring to say anything to them

I applied for all positions! Still haven't heard anything back regarding the email i sent them! Can't understand how they can lie about merit list, and about how all letters were sent out! Sharon did you ring to say anything to them

No reply to email but I got my merit number. She seemed hopeful but said it would b months likely

No reply to email but I got my merit number. She seemed hopeful but said it would b months likely

Did they just tell you your merit number on the phone? What did you say to them on the phone

Just asked for it. She said they were recruiting PCOs first n need around 100 as courts r really understaffed. Then would get to the next grades. She said if probably hear but it would be a few months probably. If u look thru the previous pages way back around page 70/80 ish ul see the people last time around faced same as us!

Arrived home expecting my dear John and I got............

Precisely nothing lol!

Just asked for it. She said they were recruiting PCOs first n need around 100 as courts r really understaffed. Then would get to the next grades. She said if probably hear but it would be a few months probably. If u look thru the previous pages way back around page 70/80 ish ul see the people last time around faced same as us!

What number did you ring on so I can try tomorrow and see what they say to me?

Cubacuba wrote: »
    Arrived home expecting my dear John and I got............

Precisely nothing lol!

Awww I bet you are scunnered waiting !!!!

Ted777 wrote: »
    Awww I bet you are scunnered waiting !!!!

I bloomin am anyway lol! Hopefully tmo guys :) would be nice if we all got good news in the end

• Advertisement

I bloomin am anyway lol! Hopefully tmo guys :) would be nice if we all got good news in the end

Here's hoping!!

Ok, so finally got my letter! But mines different from all yours it seems? It says I was successful at the assessment centre but they are filling positions for PCO first and as I applied only for custody officer my application will be held until these become available. I phoned and she said they've no idea when. Got my merit placing too, not as bad as I'd expected

Okay I got the same letter as you craydon phoned them up and to find what the craic is, she said they need pco's first and found out my merit number and its pretty high as in its a low number which is good but because I only ticked custody officer I have to wait until they get numbers for that position which they haven't got, fml why advertise for that I said and she said they need to be prepared, she said its sooner rather than later so I shouldn't have to wait long

I got the same letter. Going to phone and find out my merit number.

It's kinda messed up to say the least lol, basically those that are getting stuff through now will be going for the courts service as in PCO as they need numbers there she said in excess of 100 but they will need custody officers too soon, they're just waiting on numbers, it really doesn't look good on the department of justice recruiting for jobs but only actually handing out one of the jobs

I got told same thing. Got my merit number and was told I'd definitely hear from them. So the wait goes on...

Cubacuba wrote: »
    I got told same thing. Got my merit number and was told I'd definitely hear from them. So the wait goes on...

It does yeah, that's all we've been doing waiting lol

Seems so messed up I'm confused as I applied for both but would rather have custody officer so I've no idea what I will be going training for now must give them a ring when I get a chance

Ted777 wrote: »
    Seems so messed up I'm confused as I applied for both but would rather have custody officer so I've no idea what I will be going training for now must give them a ring when I get a chance

You'll prob be given a choice and then if you pick custody officer you'll maybe wait with us

• Advertisement

You'll prob be given a choice and then if you pick custody officer you'll maybe wait with us

My partner is a PO and he doesn't understand this why advertise for the both and being made to wait no one can hang around in limbo when we have other jobs etc

Advertisement