Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

Millisle? is that near bangor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

swl33t wrote: »

Yeah, in the arse end of nowhere! This will transfer to Desertcreat, Cookstown when it is completed which is expected to be 2014/15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Its near nothing

Fair play lads for wanting to deal with Lags all day/night

Would not be for me best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

Zambia wrote: »
    Its near nothing

Fair play lads for wanting to deal with Lags all day/night

Would not be for me best of luck.

Aye i'd say most of us on here applied for the psni at some stage, there you get to work with the good guys suspected of a crime as well as the bad guys, not to mention the public, not sure which group is the worst, but bar the visitors your working purely with the bad guys, dont get me wrong there not all hardened criminals, some just made a stupid mistake or in the wrong place at the wrong time, but the hard part is to look after them and treat them with dignity no matter what their crime and situation even though they certainly arent gonna make your job any easier, but thats the job we signed up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 superstu

any one who has already done the assessment, what was the dress code?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Little Loki

superstu wrote: »
    any one who has already done the assessment, what was the dress code?

I did it last week in Derry. There were people in suits and people in jeans, smart/ casual. I really think though you are being marked purely on your performance though. As long as your clothes don't draw bad attention for some reason I doubt it will even be noticed. Some people came dressed very sharply (myself included, lol) but it really didn't make a difference, just make sure your comfortable ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sydnor

Anyone have a theory on the way they're doing this process?

As far as I know, there's people who passed the aptitude test and been invited to the AC, people who have passed the aptitude test but no AC invite and thirdly, people who haven't heard one way or another.

sydnor wrote: »

As far as I know, there's people who passed the aptitude test and been invited to the AC, people who have passed the aptitude test but no AC invite and thirdly, people who haven't heard one way or another.

Well I was one of the last to do the A test but the firstish (I think) to do the AC. So don't know but its definately staged due to the volume of applicants. Can imagine it would be much longer unless they invited a high percentage back, which would defeat the purpose of the first test?

If it puts your mind at rest though if you do go on to AC you really can't prepare for it so relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sydnor

Well I was one of the last to do the A test but the firstish (I think) to do the AC. So don't know but its definately staged due to the volume of applicants. Can imagine it would be much longer unless they invited a high percentage back, which would defeat the purpose of the first test?

If it puts your mind at rest though if you do go on to AC you really can't prepare for it so relax.

Lol, I done my AC last week so I'm pretty chill.

I was thinking that the people who have either done or are waitiing to do their AC might be in the higher scoring range from the aptitude test.

Just a theory.

Lol, I done my AC last week so I'm pretty chill.

I was thinking that the people who have either done or are waitiing to do their AC might be in the higher scoring range from the aptitude test.

Just a theory.

Well I think I did okay as I had the chance to check all answers twice (aptitude test), do you think it will count along with AC or will only AC count? Doesn't really make a difference either way.

• Advertisement

has anyone been told they haven't passed?

Well I think I did okay as I had the chance to check all answers twice (aptitude test), do you think it will count along with AC or will only AC count? Doesn't really make a difference either way.

IST score only counts to place applicants with the same scores in the AC for the merit pool goin by the psni way of doing things can assume same applies here as it would sort of defeat the purpose of the IST in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 hayes_1991

Do you think the applicants with the highest scores in the IST's be the first to do their Assessment Centers? Do you need any basic knowledge of the Prison Service for the Assessment Center, head is fried trying to get an idea of what to expect.

hayes_1991 wrote: »
    Do you think the applicants with the highest scores in the IST's be the first to do their Assessment Centers? Do you need any basic knowledge of the Prison Service for the Assessment Center, head is fried trying to get an idea of what to expect.

I hope your theory of the people who did the AC 1st due to the highest IST scores is right cause i think i was in the 1st AC session but who really knows?

No knowledge of the job procedures is required its more a test of character, team working and communication plus a bit of observation which i've descibed a bit more earlier in this thread, the best of luck just keep a cool head and be yourself if you've done a psni AC, this one is much more chilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 hayes_1991

Thanks for the advice. Take it no individual interview either? Shall soon see how it goes. Anyone have a rough idea of when last assessment center days are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Did ac today,group exercise I felt was the worst,written and observation were fine for me.So is it vetting and medicals next if im lucky enough to pass?

triple-M wrote: »
    Did ac today,group exercise I felt was the worst,written and observation were fine for me.So is it vetting and medicals next if im lucky enough to pass?

I thought my group exercise was pretty good i have to say, can i ask what your cohert number was for your AC might be able to get an idea how far they are through the process.

Anybody else wanna share their cohert number? And we can try and figure out how fast their gettin it done?

Ps the cohert number is the letter you put down on your answer sheets not your own application number.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

Did mine yesterday thought opposite lol

A world apart from the PSNI AC imo, far more relaxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

Yep just medical and that's you.

In my opinion it's not an accurate way of finding out people's suitability or skills for the job. Any Tom, Dick or Harry could pass the ability tests and the AC but not have a clue what the job entails and what they are getting themselves in for. Same as the PSNI process. Really think they should include a personal interview.

Anyway done and dusted, agree with elvis, a lot less nerve-racking than PSNI AC, and possibly easier? It's the kind of thing you don't really have a clue how you did, don't think I got on absolutely fantastically but didn't come out of it in anyway disheartened either. How did others feel? Just a waiting game now!

Weepete, not sure if the cohert number is relevant? Think it was just to split up the groups on the day? But if it helps mine was A.

grad10 wrote: »
    Yep just medical and that's you.

In my opinion it's not an accurate way of finding out people's suitability or skills for the job. Any Tom, Dick or Harry could pass the ability tests and the AC but not have a clue what the job entails and what they are getting themselves in for. Same as the PSNI process. Really think they should include a personal interview.

Anyway done and dusted, agree with elvis, a lot less nerve-racking than PSNI AC, and possibly easier? It's the kind of thing you don't really have a clue how you did, don't think I got on absolutely fantastically but didn't come out of it in anyway disheartened either. How did others feel? Just a waiting game now!

Weepete, not sure if the cohert number is relevant? Think it was just to split up the groups on the day? But if it helps mine was A.

Hmmm interesting you see my number was A too, thought it might of been to identify the different sessions so your most likely right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

I was also cohert A, I'd say its to divide up the groups in each session.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Trex450

Done AC today, pretty hard to tell, I think, how it went... Except for observation which is black and white...

So I read there's only a medical after this? Is that correct? What about fitness?

"I was also cohert A, I'd say its to divide up the groups in each session. " sounds about right...

Psni only tested fitness just before you pass out unless your bmi is above 30 i.e obese or below 20 (i think its 20) at the time of your medical, in which case you have to do a PCT physical compentency test, so one can only assume same sorta idea applys if it does i'll be doin one, big prop forward rugby players tend to be big, however sayin that its not quiet like we are chasin down suspects on foot through a busy town, and on the other hand a bit of weight can come in useful behind a riot sheild!

So who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

My cohert number was D I also asked about the results and the lady said the first results should be sent out in 3 to 4 weeks,maybe its just me but doesnt it seem strange that they call it a cohert number when its clearly a letter?Its been buggin me a bit but then again I tend to be nitpicky.

weepete wrote: »
    Psni only tested fitness just before you pass out unless your bmi is above 30 i.e obese or below 20 (i think its 20) at the time of your medical, in which case you have to do a PCT physical compentency test, so one can only assume same sorta idea applys if it does i'll be doin one, big prop forward rugby players tend to be big, however sayin that its not quiet like we are chasin down suspects on foot through a busy town, and on the other hand a bit of weight can come in useful behind a riot sheild!

So who knows

Thanks for that Pete...
    My cohert number was D I also asked about the results and the lady said the first results should be sent out in 3 to 4 weeks,maybe its just me but doesnt it seem strange that they call it a cohert number when its clearly a letter?Its been buggin me a bit but then again I tend to be nitpicky.

Wouldn't worry, I was B today and as previously mentioned its a letter to group people... Maybe it should be a number, and maybe organisers don't know that? Regardless I think it just serves a practicle aid for organisers...

"In statistics and demography, a cohort is a group of subjects who have shared a particular event together during a particular time span"

Character would of been the correct word for it as it incorporates numbers, letters and sysbols. However I think were all agreed it isnt really relevant to us in the grand scheme of things.

3 to 4 weeks for the results, hopefully than lenght of time is spent well doin the vetting and what not from the Access NI forms to help get the ball rolling.

Not sure how I feel about officers who took/will take fat redundancies and good pensions being able to reaaply for roles. Any thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17055556, it mentions that point here...

Noticed a few today, who were obviously having a laugh at the potential intake... I mean I knew no-one there, but these guys were teamed up six abreast in waiting area (50yrs+) , with that thousand yard stare...

My take is at least they will have to go through the process like everyone else?

Any more thoughts?

Thanks

Trex450 wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about officers who took/will take fat redundancies and good pensions being able to reaaply for roles. Any thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17055556, it mentions that point here...

Noticed a few today, who were obviously having a laugh at the potential intake... I mean I knew no-one there, but these guys were teamed up six abreast in waiting area (50yrs+) , with that thousand yard stare...

My take is at least they will have to go through the process like everyone else?

Any more thoughts?

Thanks

My thought are mixed also yes at least they have to take the tests (which the prison service hasnt run a campagin like this in 20 years) and as there is no knowledge of the job ( which they have), needed they may fall down at the simple hurdles.

I recently applied for a support job with the psni which the job description went pretty much something like this.... "you'll be assisting officers in their investigations yada yada yada doin the same job as an officer just no gun or badge" and the 15 page application for the job and desirable qualification/experience gave me the impression that unless you were a serving officer or just taken your patton pay-off, there is no point even filling out the form, i mean it was pretty much a job for the boys who just left. I think it was this job that actyally brought the whole scandal to light, which may have lead to an external and unbaised recruitment company to do this campagin.

Yet on the other hand they will have more experience officers to help train us instead of bringing in a new batch of FNG's.
    But as i said they have to go through the same process as us which there knowledge of the job wont help them with.

But thats just my thoughts on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

In industry it is normal (in my experience) that when a redundancy is offered you are not permitted to reapply to that organisation for a specified period of time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

1967J wrote: »
    In industry it is normal (in my experience) that when a redundancy is offered you are not permitted to reapply to that organisation for a specified period of time

Correct - Aer Lingus tried that ( getting people to take ' redundancy ' and then re-hiring them on inferior contracts ) - was ruled illegal and AFAIK same rules apply in UK ?

Advertisement