Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sharon1986

holly1984 wrote: »
    Yeah I think they really should have made people aware the way it would go but they say PCOs were filled first because they were needed urgently. Although I do think its fair that everyone who has shown an interest in the CO role gets a chance based on your merit number. There will be a lot of people high in the merit list who may have failed medicals, lost interest or be happy enough in the PCO role so hopefully the numbers will be narrowed down a bit :)

I am so bored waiting. :( don't wana keep ringing but we can't all be left to sit and wait!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

sharon1986 wrote: »
    I am so bored waiting. :( don't wana keep ringing but we can't all be left to sit and wait!!!

Tell me about it Sharon lol, haven't even received a medical date or anything yet lol, I'm gonna phone them at the start of the next month just to keep badgering them, you guys are just waiting on a start date for training, so you's are nearly there, because I only ticked the custody officer role I have to wait for the numbers to come through, I'm even more anxious about this as I have applied for the PSNI but the test was that hard I'm not as confident as I would like to be on getting through to the next stage of the police process, but the fact everything is done for the prison service I keep on thinking at least I have this, but I don't really because I'm none the wiser lol

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Cubacuba

Tell me about it Sharon lol, haven't even received a medical date or anything yet lol, I'm gonna phone them at the start of the next month just to keep badgering them, you guys are just waiting on a start date for training, so you's are nearly there, because I only ticked the custody officer role I have to wait for the numbers to come through, I'm even more anxious about this as I have applied for the PSNI but the test was that hard I'm not as confident as I would like to be on getting through to the next stage of the police process, but the fact everything is done for the prison service I keep on thinking at least I have this, but I don't really because I'm none the wiser lol

I'm totally fed up too. And having actually been in millisle recently and seen all the new recruits in their nice new uniforms is even more annoying.

I can't believe we have yet to undergo medical etc. the whole thing is a complete joke now .

Cubacuba wrote: »
    I'm totally fed up too. And having actually been in millisle recently and seen all the new recruits in their nice new uniforms is even more annoying.

I can't believe we have yet to undergo medical etc. the whole thing is a complete joke now .

Did you see them all in their uniforms Cuba? damn that would've killed me a bit lol

Oh yes! Fully kitted out!

• Advertisement

Oh yes! Fully kitted out!

Damn so jealous lol, god!!! lol hopefully this new year will bring us something good!!

I know. It made me very grumpy. Looked to be 2 full classes of pcos being trained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

right, I'm sure this has probably been spoken about before, but what is th co rate again, before and after training?
    also has anyone any info on shift patterns?

right, I'm sure this has probably been spoken about before, but what is th co rate again, before and after training?

Think it's 18k to commence but rises to 23 after training in a couple of years. Not sure about shifts

• Registered Users Posts: 31 holly1984

http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/jobs/10004791prison_officer_shift_patterns.doc
    Don't know how relevant this is but might give some insight :)

• Advertisement

http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/jobs/10004791prison_officer_shift_patterns.doc

Hey friend of mine told me that when new recruits were being shown round laganside last Monday n Tuesday two people pulled out as they claimed they didn't know they'd be in contact with prisoners as a PCO!!!!

shifts dont look too bad. Could get used to that.

Hey friend of mine told me that when new recruits were being shown round laganside last Monday n Tuesday two people pulled out as they claimed they didn't know they'd be in contact with prisoners as a PCO!!!!

This doesn't surprise me at all, the crap I hear about similar things, my cousin a few years ago pulled out of joining the PSNI because she didn't realise she would be in possession of a gun, so crap like this does not surprise me one bit, all I can say is morons of the highest calibre, and the service is better off without them if they didn't realise that a prisoner custody officer would be in contact with prisoners, I mean Christ it's in the title lol

And those shifts do look decent I could deal with that :) and there was a document I posted recently here from the DOJ about pay scales which was done in June 2013 that new recruits would be on 19k starting plus they were working on the NI transitional allowance which is 3k or so and the salary was continually under review I'll try and find the document again

And those shifts do look decent I could deal with that :) and there was a document I posted recently here from the DOJ about pay scales which was done in June 2013 that new recruits would be on 19k starting plus they were working on the NI transitional allowance which is 3k or so and the salary was continually under review I'll try and find the document again

Anyone calling today?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 BIGD85

Id love to give them a call but i don't want them thinking that I'm pestering them lol

I will be giving them a ring early December, last time I phone would have been late September early October so I'll ring December to try and get some clarity, but the lady did tell me if I didn't hear before Christmas to contact in the new year, but I'm waiting on the custody officer role.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭chantelle101

Anyone calling today?

Highbury is that pay rise going ahead does the article say or is it still under review?

Highbury can you post a link to this please?

http://www.dojni.gov.uk/de/index/ni-prison-service/nips-publications/reports-reviews-nips/prison-service-pay-review-body-ninth-report.pdf

there's the last report, there is a report to be published in January 2014, or possibly before as in soon, as far as I am aware with reading that, when the severity of the threat on prison officers was realised last year unfortunately, a lot of the roles etc seemed to be revised including a higher rate of pay, they are stipulated in the report as "regraded as of April 2013" but yeah its all there, June/July time this was published, a lot of things are under review as the full "transformation" is apparently to be ongoing til 2015 for the prison service, things like NI transitional allowance was not given to those that joined after 2001 which is kinda shocking, but that is apparently going to come back, as the POA are working to get that sorted, and also, another shocking report was that there had not been a promotion internally for a decade, apparently this has been sorted an will never happen again as promotion will be offered to everybody at some point if they desire through the right training and qualifications of course

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/Assembly-Business/Official-Report/Committee-Minutes-of-Evidence/Session-2012-2013/June-2013/Prison-Reform-Programme-Prison-Officers-Association-Briefing/

there is the minutes for the last meet as far as I am aware of, regarding pay, allowances, numbers and also security, Finlay Spratt the chairman and representing the prison officer association, with MLA's, who seem to have no idea of what the hell they are doing, and also MLA's who were former prisoners, i'll say no more lol

• Advertisement

Thanks Highbury!

Has anyone any more ideas or info on when they are likely to start the process for the CO position?

Thanks Highbury!

Has anyone any more ideas or info on when they are likely to start the process for the CO position?

Your welcome, I'm gonna phone in a couple of weeks, a relative of mine pretty high up did say they have been at meetings regarding numbers for custody officers, 2 years ago there was 2600 odd prison officers, their now operating at 1400 odd, that's a serious reduction in numbers, and apparently not enough officers to cover wings etc in the prisons, I think there will be a good bit of movement come the new year, the recruitment branch always tell me when I ring that they're just waiting on confirmation of numbers for CO's, as PCO's were the first major concern

I was told to call back after christmas!

I was told to call back after christmas!

I think il call tomorrow about the PCO positions

• Registered Users Posts: 31 holly1984

Anyone on here going to the familiarisation evening 2morro night?

I think il call tomorrow about the PCO positions

Any luck Sharon, want this real bad seeing as it's starting look like I'm not gonna be a copper, but a prison officer would do just as nicely

Called today, was told they haven't got my length on list and they haven't been advised of anymore start dates! Just great!!

Called today, was told they haven't got my length on list and they haven't been advised of anymore start dates! Just great!!

Seriously!! So none of 35 or 20 hr posts hav started training. Actually not joking when I sae our applications will have expired before we hear anything!!

The new year will bring good news, hopefully lol, as looks like I'm definitely not going to be a peeler

• Advertisement

The new year will bring good news, hopefully lol, as looks like I'm definitely not going to be a peeler

My other half didnt pass either. Chin up!!! Hopefully this is ur path!!

Advertisement