Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

sharon1986 wrote: »
    I'm just really worried il not get a chance at it, I'm working for police at min but hate the shift work as iv a family so that's why I wana get the PCO and b back from 9-5 work as far as I can

I honestly think you'll be good, if you have a medical etc it's just a matter of getting that call, where abouts are you in the merit list?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sharon1986

I honestly think you'll be good, if you have a medical etc it's just a matter of getting that call, where abouts are you in the merit list?

265 and they r at 140ish at min. So I'm thinking if there's only been three classes totalling 60 people started n they r at 140 on list already that would mean 80ish have either pulled out or r only in for CO so if same happens between now n my number I should be ok?

sharon1986 wrote: »
    265 and they r at 140ish at min. So I'm thinking if there's only been three classes totalling 60 people started n they r at 140 on list already that would mean 80ish have either pulled out or r only in for CO so if same happens between now n my number I should be ok?

You'll be good, and also you could be in for the CO if so many have decided to either leave the PCO role or have decided not to pursue the career then you'll be grand I know a girl whom I went to school with with a merit number of 557 so they're looking at more numbers without a doubt, there is also still 50 or so to take the early retirement package as in prison officers, and they will be needed to be replaced so you could be looking at another 100 or more recruited for the CO role as well as the PCO role so it may be another 200 or more people taken on board from the 140 or so, also I was told before a lot of people didn't attend medicals etc for roles so that would hold things up, I've been told the ball will gain momentum come January, as it has to because staffing levels are so low

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/Assembly-Business/Official-Report/Committee-Minutes-of-Evidence/Session-2013-2014/October-2013/Prison-Service-Reform-Programme-Update/

There is the minutes from the last meeting at the end of October 2013 there

You'll be good, and also you could be in for the CO if so many have decided to either leave the PCO role or have decided not to pursue the career then you'll be grand I know a girl whom I went to school with with a merit number of 557 so they're looking at more numbers without a doubt, there is also still 50 or so to take the early retirement package as in prison officers, and they will be needed to be replaced so you could be looking at another 100 or more recruited for the CO role as well as the PCO role so it may be another 200 or more people taken on board from the 140 or so, also I was told before a lot of people didn't attend medicals etc for roles so that would hold things up, I've been told the ball will gain momentum come January, as it has to because staffing levels are so low

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/Assembly-Business/Official-Report/Committee-Minutes-of-Evidence/Session-2013-2014/October-2013/Prison-Service-Reform-Programme-Update/

There is the minutes from the last meeting at the end of October 2013 there

Yeh hope so, I really want the PCO role tho as I don't want shift work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Laura136

hey sharon im pretty sure you will be successful its just a matter of when...
    make sure to let us know if you do hear any word :)

• Advertisement

Decided to give them a ring, still no change, told me to call back at the start of January, they're hoping to know in the new year what the score is regarding Custody Officers

• Registered Users Posts: 45 BIGD85

I also gave them a call today and was told that they are currently filling a class for the start of January for PCO (35 hr). I was also told that there is still no word on the CO jobs and to call back mid Jan.

R u hopeful BigD85?

Im paid off at the end of this month from my current job, I'm still hopeful i will get a place in the prison service, ill call back in january and if its still no further forward I'm going to have to start looking for another job.

Hey Big will you take the PCO if its offered too you or will you wait for the CO?

• Advertisement

I would prefer the CO job but if I was offered the PCO job I wouldn't turn it down as I would be scared of not being offered the CO job and ending up with nothing. Have you completed your medical and security clearance?

Im 310-320 on the merit list and the CTC or medical has not been requested from me as yet.
    I applied for the 40hr & 35hr PCO and the CO position.
    Like you i'd prefer the CO role but would take the PCO if offered.
    The way I see it at least i'd have a foot in the door with the PCO role and hopefully in a years time I could apply to transfer to CO if its still what I wanted.

Just an update, they said they are around the 150 mark on the merit list.
    It would be intersting to know how many have actually been recruited if they have reached the 150 mark!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gman12

Laura136 wrote: »
    Just an update, they said they are around the 150 mark on the merit list.
    It would be intersting to know how many have actually been recruited if they have reached the 150 mark!?

I'm so close I can smell it lol. Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later!

What's the merit list up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 chris777

What's the merit list up to?

They told me it was around 500

chris777 wrote: »
    They told me it was around 500

Cheers mate, that's a big list, they must have anticipated a big enough recruitment for both roles

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Aoine

At last, got the call today for 35hr PCO role. Start Millisle in Jan. Was just too risky to turn it down to wait for the CO role as we still have no ideas of numbers. Part of me was thinking I should hold out but I'd have kicked myself if I ended up with nothing! Whew :-)

Aoine wrote: »
    At last, got the call today for 35hr PCO role. Start Millisle in Jan. Was just too risky to turn it down to wait for the CO role as we still have no ideas of numbers. Part of me was thinking I should hold out but I'd have kicked myself if I ended up with nothing! Whew :-)

Aw happy days Aoine congrats, I totally would've done the same I would've probably been away and done myself if I had ticked the PCO role, but I'm a retard and didn't lol, but that's awesome at least there's continual movement, where abouts if you don't mind me asking, where you on the merit list?

Great news Aoine, best xmas gift!!
    If possible when you start try to drop us a line and let us know what its like and how many of you guys there is :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Aoine

Thanks a million folks :-) Anyone else got any news or any more information on the CO front?

Thanks a million folks :-) Anyone else got any news or any more information on the CO front?

Not as of yet Aoine, but I was told to call back in the new year, which I will do early new year :) and hopefully fingers crossed something positive will come about, touch wood, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Cubacuba

Happy new year to you all. Fingers crossed 2014 will bring us some good news, and hopefully we may even meet each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭chantelle101

Cubacuba wrote: »
    Happy new year to you all. Fingers crossed 2014 will bring us some good news, and hopefully we may even meet each other!

Same to u Cuba!!!! Hopefully we start getting word for medicals etc...even the forms would passify me at this stage lol!!!

Anybody thinking of contacting them in regards to the CO role? Or maybe leave it for a few more weeks? lol, maybe I'm too eager lol

Anybody thinking of contacting them in regards to the CO role? Or maybe leave it for a few more weeks? lol, maybe I'm too eager lol

I doubt they'll have any new info ...prob gona b a few weeks I wud say before they kno more if anything. Really hope we won't b back to the whole "we haven't got the go ahead yet" story. Haven't heard of anyone starting 20 hour posts so theyl prob sort those out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Weestones

Wondering what merit list number people are? I'm 150 ish done all medicals just waiting now! Have heard people haven't even heard anything about getting a medical! And are quite low down in the merit list!

Weestones wrote: »
    Wondering what merit list number people are? I'm 150 ish done all medicals just waiting now! Have heard people haven't even heard anything about getting a medical! And are quite low down in the merit list!

Im 170ish and haven't been called for anything but I only applied for one role the co one. Did u apply for them all stones?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Weestones

Im 170ish and haven't been called for anything but I only applied for one role the co one. Did u apply for them all stones?

Strange y u haven't heard anything! Yes I applied for all the roles!

• Advertisement

Aye I'm in the top 60 and only applied for the one role of CO and have yet to hear anything weestones lol last I heard letter wise from them was what, August or so when we all get yays or nays and mine was we'll be in contact when the co role is issued, a lot of us are in the same boat, I'm hoping we'll hear soon as soon as the CO roles are needed then I'm thinking those that have applied for the CO role alone well get our medicals at some point, the merit list seems to go up to near 600 from what other boardees have said, and I've on good authority that there is to be a substantial movement in the next few months for new recruits so fingers crossed :)

Advertisement