Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭chantelle101

BIGD85 wrote: »
    Called today and still nothing, I was only told that they are still working through the merit list.

I got the same yday big d.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/Assembly-Business/Official-Report/Committee-Minutes-of-Evidence/Session-2013-2014/April-2014/Prison-Service-Reform-Programme-Northern-Ireland-Prison-Service/

There is the new report off the the NI assembly website in regards to the prison service reform update, was published there on the 10/04/2014.

There is a part in regards to he recruitment situation I'm not quite sure what to think.

Here is the part from the report were they talk about recruitment, they have secured the funding for the last of the early retirement officers to go under the scheme.

"Mr Elliott: I want to ask about the voluntary retirement scheme, namely the filling of those places and new officers coming in. I am aware of the recruitment process that went on. Candidates had a time span of one year in which to be appointed. When will that be complete?

Mrs S McAllister: To bring in new officers?

Mr Elliott: Yes.

Mrs S McAllister: We have finished our recruitment.

Mr Adam: Our last lot of staff have gone to PECS. We have a merit list that is still open for another few months. So, if we needed to call on that, we would be able to do so without running a new campaign. We have that open as a window of opportunity, but that will come to an end at the end of June."

Also I was always told that this campaign was open til July, obviously not, I don't mean to sound like I'm stirring up stuff here, but to me it looks like its getting to that stage were MLA's or someone such as the Justice Minister, will have to be contacted in regards to this shambolic attempt at recruitment

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/Assembly-Business/Official-Report/Committee-Minutes-of-Evidence/Session-2013-2014/April-2014/Prison-Service-Reform-Programme-Northern-Ireland-Prison-Service/

There is the new report off the the NI assembly website in regards to the prison service reform update, was published there on the 10/04/2014.

There is a part in regards to he recruitment situation I'm not quite sure what to think.

Here is the part from the report were they talk about recruitment, they have secured the funding for the last of the early retirement officers to go under the scheme.

"Mr Elliott: I want to ask about the voluntary retirement scheme, namely the filling of those places and new officers coming in. I am aware of the recruitment process that went on. Candidates had a time span of one year in which to be appointed. When will that be complete?

Mrs S McAllister: To bring in new officers?

Mr Elliott: Yes.

Mrs S McAllister: We have finished our recruitment.

Mr Adam: Our last lot of staff have gone to PECS. We have a merit list that is still open for another few months. So, if we needed to call on that, we would be able to do so without running a new campaign. We have that open as a window of opportunity, but that will come to an end at the end of June."

Also I was always told that this campaign was open til July, obviously not, I don't mean to sound like I'm stirring up stuff here, but to me it looks like its getting to that stage were MLA's or someone such as the Justice Minister, will have to be contacted in regards to this shambolic attempt at recruitment

So...basically they've finished recruiting. Why on earth advertise for cpo's then???

So...basically they've finished recruiting. Why on earth advertise for cpo's then???

I have no idea, they say they have a merit list there if they need to get more bodies, but that may not happen, I mean its 2 months now we have effectively, I kid you not, all I ever heard and hear from relatives and friends is that they need more bodies, so I dunno what the hell to think any more, I think it was wrong the way they opened the campaign up effectively misleading everyone in that they had vacancies for both roles, I've said it before and I hope I'm proven wrong, but 2 months now to hopefully be offered a place, the devastating thing is, that because we ticked only one role, there is going to be a good few people who are in a position of employment because of that, which doesn't settle too well with me, 2 months to go, maybe the sun will shine a little on us instead of it pouring.

I have no idea, they say they have a merit list there if they need to get more bodies, but that may not happen, I mean its 2 months now we have effectively, I kid you not, all I ever heard and hear from relatives and friends is that they need more bodies, so I dunno what the hell to think any more, I think it was wrong the way they opened the campaign up effectively misleading everyone in that they had vacancies for both roles, I've said it before and I hope I'm proven wrong, but 2 months now to hopefully be offered a place, the devastating thing is, that because we ticked only one role, there is going to be a good few people who are in a position of employment because of that, which doesn't settle too well with me, 2 months to go, maybe the sun will shine a little on us instead of it pouring.

There was no mention there of being short staffed which gives me little hope. Sounds like theres a merit list there for a few officers if need be. Ive no chance. ...I thot they might hav taken on like 100 or so but not by the sounds of that. Gutted

• Advertisement

There was no mention there of being short staffed which gives me little hope. Sounds like theres a merit list there for a few officers if need be. Ive no chance. ...I thot they might hav taken on like 100 or so but not by the sounds of that. Gutted

I get the feeling no one will be recruited for CPO's anyway, what a waste of a year, a whole year of my life wasted essentially on the hope, the false hope of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Cubacuba

Well it clearly states in that report that the recruitment is finished.

What a complete waste of time! And very unfair to advertise two positions and only fill one.

Disgusted!

I'm finding this very hard to take lol, I'm baffled by the whole thing as to why it was handled this way, when I asked about going for the PCO position when I orginally got my letter saying I had been successful but was waiting on CPO positions I asked about transferring onto the PCO list too, and they said they would've allowed it before the assessment centre, I mean Jesus as far as I was aware there were 2 roles to be filled but until I rang up and asked and found the truth I was told it was too late, I don't know what to do, is this right and is it justifiable what they have done? I'm late 60's on merit and I know a fella in the early 200's who is now in position of employment as a PCO, I mean that seems to be wrong to me, and I know many are in the same position here, probably just venting frustrations, but how was this allowed to be done this way, to me it shows they don't care about who they take on more, we're just numbers to them, I pray this turns around soon but it would have to be real soon if the merit list is to expire really soon, but the way this has been done and organised I don't see it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Feel your pain Highbury im 30s and actually asked for my name to be taken of for the other job as I didnt want to waste a spot as, as far I was concerned I was on a pigs back for the CO role.

I have emailed the Recruitment Department and stated that I was aware of recent publication advising that recruitment had finished. I asked them to comment.

One thing I did think was that when we received letters confirming we passed the assessment centre, it stated that our applications were being held until the vacancies became available. It did not mention anything about the merit list or expiry of it. Just a thought.

I'll let you know when I hear back from recruitment.

• Advertisement

Response received.....

I can confirm that we have filled the vacancies for Pridon Custody Officer to meet operational needs however to date no Custody Officers have been appointed.

In the event that the NIPs do need to make appointments to the role of Custody Officer we will contact successful candidates in order of merit.....

And the merit list is open to 5th July..

Cubacuba wrote: »
    And the merit list is open to 5th July..

So not really an answer to our question...will there be any recruitment for co roles.

I'm pretty sure this is the end of the road, seems to be a total waste of our time, and furthermore and I may sound bitter, because I am, but there are individuals in place of employment within the NIPS who would not be, had the whole process been open and transparent, again I as well as most of us were led to believe there were vacancies for CPO as well as PCO as it was stipulated in the applicants handbook, however now we learn, a year later in waiting that these roles were only hypothetical. Really badly ran and also, I guarantee if none are taken on by July, it wont be too long before another campaign opens, we essentially handicapped ourselves folks, because information whether deliberate or not, was not thoroughly provided when this campaign went live. I'm pretty certain if this was taken into the political spectrum there would be a bit of an uproar as I know this isn't right whats happened, but I actually cbf with it anymore lol, I'm moving on from it, if i get a call or letter within the following month or so then happy days, but I'm pretty certain it wont be from the NIPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭craydon

Still no contact from them since what, last August/September? So when are they going to contact us to let us know that no career is going to come out of this (or ever was going to come out of this for us who only ticked that one box) We have been waiting well over a year with little to no contact, while people who were way further down the merit list than us are in full time permanent employment because they ticked both options! It's a shambles and no way to run a recruitment drive. The least they could do was contact us to let us know... The more I think about it the more it totally angers me!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 BIGD85

I called the recruitment team last week and was told that the issue has been raised with senior management and that there is still no movement on the recruitment of Custody Officers, I was also told that the merit list is valid until the start of July and to keep calling them for updates. Ill give them a call again in June, still holding on to a bit of hope but tbh I don't think its looking great for us :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭craydon

It's been entirely disheartening! Surely all the assessment centres etc have cost them a fortune for a post which didn't even exist?! Did they even at some point believe that jobs would come out of it? If nothing does come of it I at least expect an explanation or reply. "Gutted" sums up my feelings on it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 emmallow

Ah guys, I've given up completely. Such a disappointment, I was very lucky my employers took pity on me and kept me in part time employment despite hiring someone in November to take my position!

PSNI recruitment is opening again in the next few days, tbh I don't relish the idea of going through a similar process again.

Just reading about the prison service using the crumlin road gaol again for long term prisoners being realesed back into society. I take it nobody has heard anymore on anything as we enter the final month before the merit list expires? I haven't rang in a while as I'm pretty certain it's all been in vain, but just wondering if anyone has heard anything? Would be a pleasant surprise right about now, to get a letter or email or phone call lol, to say can you go for your medical as we need prison officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

I called the other day when I was particuarily frustrated with my current job! Basically the girl said they were no further on and are waiting on information being passed down from their managers. I got the impression she didnt want to be the bearer of bad news....

• Advertisement

I called the other day when I was particuarily frustrated with my current job! Basically the girl said they were no further on and are waiting on information being passed down from their managers. I got the impression she didnt want to be the bearer of bad news....

Just rang there now. Still know nothing. Said we wud get a letter when merit list closee but as to what it will say she said she doesn't kno

I think thats GAME OVER for us, the PSNI are recruiting, get on that folks, better money and better job in my opinion!!!!

Well folks we enter the last month until the merit list expires, I have been told it could go right to the wire before notice is given for more officers, though I'm not holding out on that. What an excruciating, emotional roller-coaster this whole year has been with this, as I have said before I wish the whole process was transparent from the word get go, unfortunately we handicapped ourselves from the moment we submitted our application and blindly doing so, it sucks and I only hope that it means we're destined for something a bit better.

The prison service will recruit again I'm pretty certain of that, the only thing they will have to compete with now is the increasing economic upturn and the salaries that have come with it. I hope the next time they do, they actually state fact instead of misleading individuals that there are jobs when there blatantly isn't. Again maybe sounding a tad bitter, which in case I am lol, but only in NI can individuals be placed in the top percentage in terms of merit and not get a job. That's not in reference to just myself but everyone on here and those that aren't on the boards who are in the same position as ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 chris777

Got this from bbc news today for those still interested...

Prison rebuild 'not guaranteed'
    20 June 2014 07:12
    By Dean McLaughlin
    BBC News NI

A new jail is planned for Magilligan Prison in Londonderry
    Justice Minister David Ford has said he cannot guarantee Magilligan Prison in County Londonderry will be rebuilt as planned or that additional employment will be created for the area.
    A new jail, to be built on the current site, was announced by the minister in March 2013.
    The redevelopment was announced as part of a £200m strategy for prisons in Northern Ireland.
    About 400 people are employed at Magilligan Prison.
    Last year, a prison review team appointed by Mr Ford said Magilligan Prison should be closed, and a new one built in a more central location.
    'Cannot guarantee'
    Mr Ford rejected that advice and opted for a new prison on the current site.
    It was decided that the prison would remain open while building work was completed, with the project expected to take seven years.
    Responding to a question in the assembly by DUP MLA George Robinson, Mr Ford said he could not guarantee anything.
    "I am afraid that, at this stage and without the approval of the Department of Finance, I cannot guarantee that the project will go ahead as I would wish," Mr Ford said.
    "Nor can I guarantee that there will be additional employment, since one of the key issues for any new build will be to ensure that it is manageable in the most efficient manner possible.
    "Prison service officials are nearing completion of the outline business case for the redevelopment of Magilligan prison.
    "When we talk about employment, we should recognise that we have now completed the voluntary early retirement scheme, with a significant number of officers being able to leave with dignity from the services that they performed in the past."
    'Deteriorate'
    DUP MP Gregory Campbell said "no one can guarantee the rebuild will go ahead".
    "This has been a long running campaign," said Mr Campbell.
    "The Justice Minister is accurate when he says he doesn't have the money in the kitty but there has to be a prison and the current prison is past its sell buy date.
    "The question is, when will it be built?
    "David Ford can't sit by and let Magilligan Prison deteriorate. The money will have to be found soon.
    "Finances are very tight. This campaign cannot and will not be allowed to run into the sands of Magilligan Strand."

chris777 wrote: »
    Got this from bbc news today for those still interested...

Prison rebuild 'not guaranteed'
    20 June 2014 07:12
    By Dean McLaughlin
    BBC News NI

A new jail is planned for Magilligan Prison in Londonderry
    Justice Minister David Ford has said he cannot guarantee Magilligan Prison in County Londonderry will be rebuilt as planned or that additional employment will be created for the area.
    A new jail, to be built on the current site, was announced by the minister in March 2013.
    The redevelopment was announced as part of a £200m strategy for prisons in Northern Ireland.
    About 400 people are employed at Magilligan Prison.
    Last year, a prison review team appointed by Mr Ford said Magilligan Prison should be closed, and a new one built in a more central location.
    'Cannot guarantee'
    Mr Ford rejected that advice and opted for a new prison on the current site.
    It was decided that the prison would remain open while building work was completed, with the project expected to take seven years.
    Responding to a question in the assembly by DUP MLA George Robinson, Mr Ford said he could not guarantee anything.
    "I am afraid that, at this stage and without the approval of the Department of Finance, I cannot guarantee that the project will go ahead as I would wish," Mr Ford said.
    "Nor can I guarantee that there will be additional employment, since one of the key issues for any new build will be to ensure that it is manageable in the most efficient manner possible.
    "Prison service officials are nearing completion of the outline business case for the redevelopment of Magilligan prison.
    "When we talk about employment, we should recognise that we have now completed the voluntary early retirement scheme, with a significant number of officers being able to leave with dignity from the services that they performed in the past."
    'Deteriorate'
    DUP MP Gregory Campbell said "no one can guarantee the rebuild will go ahead".
    "This has been a long running campaign," said Mr Campbell.
    "The Justice Minister is accurate when he says he doesn't have the money in the kitty but there has to be a prison and the current prison is past its sell buy date.
    "The question is, when will it be built?
    "David Ford can't sit by and let Magilligan Prison deteriorate. The money will have to be found soon.
    "Finances are very tight. This campaign cannot and will not be allowed to run into the sands of Magilligan Strand."

Anybody get the feeling that the DOJ and the prison service are pretending we don't exist on this merit list lol, or does the DOJ even know though there is a load of people waiting on hearing something regarding CPO positions and were kinda misled from the very beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 chris777

It certainly looks that way. I think the ship has sailed for us on this occasion folks.

So I rang today as merit list due to expire tomoro. Guess what....they said ring back in a week!!!!! Typical

Anybody heard anything else? seeing as the expiry date has ended on the merit list unless they're extending it, I'm kinda loathed to phone up lol.

I called yesterday and I was told that they are still waiting on a decision from senior management, a complete shambles of a recruitment campaign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

A lot of staff have moved on to other jobs, I believe approx. 40% of CPOs recruited thus far have left - all is not rosy in their garden lol

Advertisement