Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland prison service (now recruiting))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

We are both in the same boat then. Especially doing the test under pressure on the day. Hopefully not many selected nights if they take on 100 there is a 10% chance of getting in. Not very high for any of us but all can do is try best sure and get a bit of luck as well. Its a waiting game isn't it

There will people who won't even turn up for the test so hopefully that will give us a better chance aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tirchonaill77

Did you apply for PSNI? There must be high number of tests days as well for 1000. Cant squeeze them all in a day

Did you apply for PSNI? There must be high number of tests days as well for 1000. Cant squeeze them all in a day

Yeah I applied the day it opened, so.much waiting about involved. I'm not sure how many they have attend each session, maybe 100 at most.

Well at least you have two chances of getting a uniform on sure. We just wait and see now do we get called for the ICT

Check your emails guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 horselover1986

Thanks very much. 1st step begins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I just seen this and went what?! Lol I haven't received any mail but then went into my email and there it was from last night. Just for the folks saying about 1000 applicants, that's quite considerably low, don't forget this new recruitment drive was well open when the bad report came out I think it had been open around 10 days. So I would imagine a fair amount of candidates will be detered by that report.

The last campaign which was for pco's only started in May I think last year, and it had 2000 applicants, before that around April 2013 it was recruiting for pco and cpo, though no cpos were actually taken on, they had around 4000 applicants and if I remember right, the first campaign to open up around 2012 for the big recruitment for cpo's replacing those taking early retirement, had around 5-6000 applicants.

So if 1000 is right and they are taking on a fair number, as the term "big" recruitment drive has been floating about, I would like to think chances would be decent. Typically 20-30% people don't turn up for the first test with these type of recruitment drives, and then a percentage will unfortunately not make the mark, providing anybody scores well in the test, hopefully then that means interviews and if thats passed, then that would mean a provisional offer as long as vetting is cleared and medically cleared.

The unfortunate thing with the prison service is, it seems as though they want to have plenty of candidates in reserve, so if they need to bring them in they will, but from past experience and from info from those in the job, they don't really manage candidate expentancy all too well. That being said they have been balancing the past 3-4 years on a knife edge, and with all the negativity surrounding the prison service at the minute I have been told it seems they are genuinely looking to take on officers this time around, and I hope that's true. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Joe_Bloggsy

Also applied for CPO role but also think the release of the report on the prison service will have some effect on those due to attend tests. Find attached link from sitting of the assembly regarding 1,700 who have applied for this campaign www.theyworkforyou.com/ni/?id=2015-11-17.4.5

Also applied for CPO role but also think the release of the report on the prison service will have some effect on those due to attend tests. Find attached link from sitting of the assembly regarding 1,700 who have applied for this campaign www.theyworkforyou.com/ni/?id=2015-11-17.4.5

1700 is still pretty low compared to what they had before, hopefully that stands in good stead with us applying. Cheers for the link Joe!

1700 may be low gives me a .05% chance of getting in if they take on 100. I would have better odds in the betting shop. Lol. There was very little talk in the media on the report about the threat prison staff and contractors are under. That bit gives me the heeebeee jeeebeees. Welcome to Northern Ireland grab a ticket and get in line.

• Advertisement

Its says on Annex A that need several proofs of ID for Assessment event. That must mean they will have assessment days before interview stage do you think?

Its says on Annex A that need several proofs of ID for Assessment event. That must mean they will have assessment days before interview stage do you think?

I think when they say 'Assessment Event' they just meant the test they invite you too, pretty sure if successful at the the test the next step is the interview.

I doubt they will interview hundreds and hundreds of people .. how could they have the time which probably means the cull after the ICT will be brutal

I doubt they will interview hundreds and hundreds of people .. how could they have the time which probably means the cull after the ICT will be brutal

The initial test will be designed to reduce numbers and as I think HighburyLad has said, they would take the highest scorers through to the next stages and once they get the number they need the rest would go onto waiting lists and possibly never get a job out of this campaign.

So for example we could pass the test with a mid range score and be waiting 6 months for an interview or get a letter in the post saying 'Thanks for your time, but you aren't being progressed'.

Test, interview then medical and vetting checks, simple as that, and I think a couple of hundred is what theyre bringing in from what I heard.

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/maghaberry-prison-officer-so-stressed-hes-selfharming-says-edwin-poots-34225316.html

About 3 quarters down the page it has a soundbite from the Nolan show with an interview from a serving officer in maghaberry, hopefully doesnt deter anyone but I myself like to know these things, doesn't deter me but I have friends confirm it is quite brutal at the moment more officers would seriously help I've been told and that's the main cause for concern.

Not an easy job and dangerous under them circumstances

Anyone sit the test?

No have you?

No have you?

Yeah, only very recently though, was just curious to find out how others found it.

There was nearly a full turn out for my group in test what did you think of it?

• Advertisement

There was nearly a full turn out for my group in test what did you think of it?

My session was the same, could have been atvthe same one.

I thought the first part was easy enough but the maths one was quite hard. I didn't manage to get the last question answered because I spent so much time on the others but hopefully that means I got more right.

I'm wondering how many sessions they are having.

Id say if they have 1700 candidates there will be a load of sessions and they wont be taking very many if there is no AC :-( They are defo not going to interview hundreds and hundreds . I didn't get mine finished either. I am not holding out hope for making out of ICT

Id say if they have 1700 candidates there will be a load of sessions and they wont be taking very many if there is no AC :-( They are defo not going to interview. I didn't get mine finished either. I am not holding out hope for making out of ICT

It depends how badly others performed, I think I did alright but it's all down to how many have done better.

We could be surprised by how many fail, not everyone is used to doing short timed tests under pressure.

Id say if they have 1700 candidates there will be a load of sessions and they wont be taking very many if there is no AC :-( They are defo not going to interview hundreds and hundreds . I didn't get mine finished either. I am not holding out hope for making out of ICT

Also, say 50% pass the first test, that would leave 850, they could then phase them through interview in batches of 50 or so (starting with the highest scorers)until they recruit the number they want.

If they want to recruit 200 for example they interview first batch, half fail or don't show up, move onto the next and so on.

So out of 850 candidates, 425 pass interview, then you need to factor in medical fails and those who don't pass vetting within the period of time they want to recruit in.

Bear in mind the figures I'm using are just examples and speculative pass/fail rates.

That's it but out of 1700 they are going to be a good few who will get throught as well.

That's it but out of 1700 they are going to be a good few who will get throught as well.

Yeah, the initial test is designed to cut numbers and then they would most likely start with the top scorers and invite them to interview, that could be 20, 50 or 100 people at first. Then if X amount aren't successful at interview they invite the same number from the next batch of high scorers to that stage.

There will be people who pass every stage asked of them and still not be offered a position. That's unfortunately how it is especially as everything is determined by what funding is available for recruitment.

I suppose they have to cut numbers some way but they don't measure cop on which is a big part of doing any job lol. Anyway we can only do our best and sure nothing much can do after that.

I hate tests

Guys is the real maths test anyway similar to the sample test they had up online at the application stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭craydon

Well I think you can all now count me out for one lol. Had mine Tuesday, sick as a dog. First part wasn't as bad but the second part I totally lost track of the time limit and seriously ran out of time 😫

Advertisement