Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Consumer Show back on RTE 1

Options
  • 16-02-2012 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

The Consumer Show will be back on our television screens on RTÉ One in April with presenters Eddie Hobbs and Keelin Shanley as they champion the rights of consumers and tell viewers how to make the most of their money.

We want to hear from anyone who is having financial or consumer problems and think that we may be able to help. Are you worried about your debt and what to do next? Do you need help managing your loans? Do you need guidance with money or budgets? Do you need help with a warranty or faulty goods? Do you have stories or questions on any consumer matters - from lump sums, savings, where to cut back, investment, education to mortgages.

Among items tackled last year were budgeting, mortgages, debt management agencies, car faults, grocery prices, health issues, Consumer rights and entitlements, warranties, contracts, savings, faulty goods etc.

Are you having an issue which you are having trouble resolving? Are there issues you think the Consumer Show should be tackling? We want to hear from you.

Contact the Consumer Show Team now, in confidence, on 01 2084636 or at consumers@rte.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Nice to see it back... its one of the better shows on rte.

shame its only half an hour though!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm sorry, but I'd give it a big thumbs down. While it tackled important issues, it stayed clearly on the "don't rock the boat" side of the fence. Wouldn't give it another look unless it gets a big shake-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Red Alert wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I'd give it a big thumbs down. While it tackled important issues, it stayed clearly on the "don't rock the boat" side of the fence. Wouldn't give it another look unless it gets a big shake-up.

Whilst we really need a TV program like this, I have to agree with this post. Last years program was far too lightweight. I'd watch the BBCs watchdog before watching this program.

Hopefully it will have more substance this series as I'd love it to be good

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Only last week wee Eddie was moaning about RTE on twitter. He must have forgotten about this show.

I wonder will they tackle the cost of the TV licence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

How about doing a piece, if you're brave enough, on the Direct Debit debacle.

There are many companies who have signed up to the scheme but have no idea [or care] about the rules of the scheme.

Never mind the banks. THE BANKS!!!! who don't know the rules of the scheme.

I've been chasing my own DD problem for over a month. BOI and IPSO refuse to acknowledge my FORMAL complaints. It's a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Access wrote: »

Are you for real!??? It was complete fluff last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

parsi wrote: »
    Only last week wee Eddie was moaning about RTE on twitter. He must have forgotten about this show.

I wonder will they tackle the cost of the TV licence ?

Or the cost of Joe Duffy's (et al) wages?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Yes totally agree with your point.

My niece emailed them asking why was it 60 cent to vote on the euro entry on the late late show (there was no prize attached for ringing) and it was .07 cent to vote for favourite act on Sky One's Got To Dance?

The show replied saying that they will only discuss issues that come up on the show :confused: and I think she said only if a number of people brought up the same issue would it be discussed (standard email).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

What has Joe Duffys earnings got to do with anyone outside of RTE.

It's not tax payers money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

deelite wrote: »

Yes totally agree with your point.

My niece emailed them asking why was it 60 cent to vote on the euro entry on the late late show (there was no prize attached for ringing) and it was .07 cent to vote for favourite act on Sky One's Got To Dance?

The show replied saying that they will only discuss issues that come up on the show :confused: and I think she said only if a number of people brought up the same issue would it be discussed (standard email).

I was only thinking the exact same thing on Sunday. Voted for Prodijig and realised it was only 7c and started to wonder how the Voice etc are getting away with it! It seems pretty obvious they are just out to make money from the vote!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I was only thinking the exact same thing on Sunday. Voted for Prodijig and realised it was only 7c and started to wonder how the Voice etc are getting away with it! It seems pretty obvious they are just out to make money from the vote!!!

You should email them and see will they take up the issue:D but I doubt they will too close to home me thinks....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Payton

The cost of voting will always be an issue, but the powers that run RTE wont comment on it as they get a share of the 60 cent.
    I have to agree with the other posters in regards the softly softly approach and it won't change because of the fear of RTE losing revenue from a major company. Eg Major shoe store that runs adverts on both RTE radio and tv gets highlighted on the consumer show for valid "issues" that consumers have, result...major shoe store moves their advertising to TV3.
    Vote with your thumbs....and watch something else, maybe then the powers in RTE will understand.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

RangeR wrote: »
    How about doing a piece, if you're brave enough, on the Direct Debit debacle.

There are many companies who have signed up to the scheme but have no idea [or care] about the rules of the scheme.

Never mind the banks. THE BANKS!!!! who don't know the rules of the scheme.

I've been chasing my own DD problem for over a month. BOI and IPSO refuse to acknowledge my FORMAL complaints. It's a joke.

Yes a public examination of the dd debacle is long overdue - there are many questions to be answered - for example how can Eircom and it's subsidiaries be allowed continue to participate in the scheme in the light of the recent data loss debacle?

The shocking ignorance of bank staff in respect of even basic stuff like cancelling a dd is a scandal. The failure to have a proper system in place to detect cancelled dds as required under the rules of the scheme results in the public beng deceived in believing that a dd can be cancelled at any time.

The fact that companies like UPC and esb can charge customers significant amounts of money for missing a dd without telling them upfront.

The fact that UPC can 'brand' the dd system rename it and claim it as theirs.

The general lack of information in print about the dd scheme (remember many people do not use the Internet)

Boards regularly throws up examples - for example recent posts have highlighted 3 apparently reinstating a dd that was four years old without any notice to the customer while another concerned the esb debiting an account of a considerable amount of money when the op had left them for a lengthy period.

And of course no sanctions follow this type of thing.

What has Joe Duffys earnings got to do with anyone outside of RTE.

It's not tax payers money.

Who pays his salary then? :confused:

RTE

The TV licence payer...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

RTE

The TV licence payer...

AND advertisers...

RTE

The TV licence payer...

In other words the Taxpayer. So it has plenty to do with people outside of RTE.

vicwatson wrote: »
    In other words the Taxpayer. So it has plenty to do with people outside of RTE.

Not in other words the tax payer,

THE LICENCE PAYER..

It is a choice (for now) if people want to avail of a television service and pay for a tv licence..

I think you'll find that RTE does not survive on JUST the TV Licence fee:rolleyes:

They get government subsidies, so his salary is paid by the taxpayer and in part by the licence fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

amdublin wrote: »
    amdublin wrote: »

I will refrain from pressing the post button twice myself if thats alright with you...

Yes, in my personal opinion it was one of the more decent shows on RTE mainly as there was an awful load of ****e on RTE last year.

But, like rubberdiddies says... hopefully it will have more substance this series, and not just highlight a story and then end it without any follow up or solution to the problem highlighted in each story on the show.

In other words... grow some balls consumer show and don't just highlight issues... tackle them too!

I will refrain from pressing the post button twice myself if thats alright with you...

Yes, in my personal opinion it was one of the more decent shows on RTE mainly as there was an awful load of ****e on RTE last year.

But, like rubberdiddies says... hopefully it will have more substance this series, and not just highlight a story and then end it without any follow up or solution to the problem highlighted in each story on the show.

In other words... grow some balls consumer show and don't just highlight issues... tackle them too!

So it was decent.....but hopefully will have more substance....and hopefully will actually tackle the issues this time :confused:

Yeah that makes sense :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So Hobbs has jumped ship (or pushed?) from the show, given they don't have the guy that just states the obvious will the show now be canned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Where can i watch old episodes ? I can't find them on rte player online ..

Advertisement