Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving you with a nasty Goodbye.

Options
  • 16-02-2012 1:04pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

In 2006 I entered a bundle with Eircom for Phone & Internet. There was a 24 month contract and penalties for breaking that agreement. At the time I was very tempted by better offers from other companies, but as it was my Mother in Law's house she wanted to stay with Eircom, so we did. The Bundle saved money over the pricey connection she had at the time.

That contract ended in mid 2008 but the package has not changed since then, other than an offer to increase speed at no cost.

We were recently made an offer from UPC to connect to Cable for TV, Phone & Internet. I called Eircom to see if they could compete with the price but they would not vary.

We took up the UPC offer & filled in the paperwork to switch. We have now been hit by fees of over €50 for not giving 30 days notice for both Phone & Internet. We were not under a contract, so did not think there would be any penalty.

When did these nasty fees come into operation?

Does this not fly in the face of the "Come back to Eircom" advertising, when the last act is to sting you?

Not happy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

CabanSail wrote: »
    In 2006 I entered a bundle with Eircom for Phone & Internet. There was a 24 month contract and penalties for breaking that agreement. At the time I was very tempted by better offers from other companies, but as it was my Mother in Law's house she wanted to stay with Eircom, so we did. The Bundle saved money over the pricey connection she had at the time.

That contract ended in mid 2008 but the package has not changed since then, other than an offer to increase speed at no cost.

We were recently made an offer from UPC to connect to Cable for TV, Phone & Internet. I called Eircom to see if they could compete with the price but they would not vary.

We took up the UPC offer & filled in the paperwork to switch. We have now been hit by fees of over €50 for not giving 30 days notice for both Phone & Internet. We were not under a contract, so did not think there would be any penalty.

When did these nasty fees come into operation?

Does this not fly in the face of the "Come back to Eircom" advertising, when the last act is to sting you?

Not happy.

Hi CabanSail,

eircom advised customers of the change in cancellation process a few months before it took effect on January 24th 2011.

We advised that a 30 day notification is required to be given to eircom for each service. Customers will be charged one months service if notification is not received.

Notifications were placed in customers bills in bills prior to the change in process. As well as notice being made in national newspapers.

The process brought us in line with a number of other telecommunications companies who implement the same process - Including UPC.

That is why we advise customers to contact us prior to ceasing a service / account or if they plan to move to another provider. To avoid any possible charges.

Thanks, Mark

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Well it was news to us.

When I rang the sales people looking for deals to match those of UPC, you think they may have mentioned it then.

Not being in a contract with Eircom at the time I cannot see how it's justified. Seems like a boot in the behind as you leave. A last sneaky fee to remember us.

Well it was news to us.

When I rang the sales people looking for deals to match those of UPC, you think they may have mentioned it then.

Not being in a contract with Eircom at the time I cannot see how it's justified. Seems like a boot in the behind as you leave. A last sneaky fee to remember us.

Hi CabanSail,

I apologise if the agent did not outline the full process when you were enquiring about the package prices in comparison to other providers.

Did you directly advise that you had made the decision and were going to move providers on that call?

Thanks, Mark

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Hi CabanSail,

I apologise if the agent did not outline the full process when you were enquiring about the package prices in comparison to other providers.

Did you directly advise that you had made the decision and were going to move providers on that call?

Thanks, Mark

No, I did not say it was definite, only likely. I still had to discuss it with the MiL, as it is her account after all. I rang in early December and we did not switch until mid Janurary. If we had known of these fees there was plenty of time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is a 'cease port' charge on Broadband, always was. I believe the cease line charge dates to this time last year but possibly sooner, that was when the 30 day notice came in IIRC.

I dont think UPC charge to cease once you complete your contract but they can charge you handsomely if they don't get their box back.

• Advertisement

No, I did not say it was definite, only likely. I still had to discuss it with the MiL, as it is her account after all. I rang in early December and we did not switch until mid Janurary. If we had known of these fees there was plenty of time.

Hi CabanSail,

That is why we require customers to call us before cancekking or moving providers. I checked with the cancellations team and I am afraid if we have not been advised of the move, the 30 day charge has to stand.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement