Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Palestinian hunger striker - 61 days, detained without charge, near death

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

The Israelis are going soft, letting someone like that go after 4 months.

Here in this state DeValera interred the IRA during WW2 and a few died on hunger strike then. And at least the IRA in WW2 did not send out suicide bombers with explosive belts to kill busloads of civilians with the same ferocity as Islamic Jihads terrorist campaign against Israel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

cloptrop wrote: »
    He enticed people to suicide bomb themselves. Thats murder if you ask me .

No that is incitement. 2 different things entirely.

BTW, would you consider yourself a murderer on the basis of the following statement:
    He should have been shot on sight , never mind given a trial.

I would call that incitement personally. Also, I find it interesting that someone who is condemning a man for inciting violence (the man deserves to be condemned for that), would themselves then incite violence, and whats doubly interesting is that both gigino and lividduck thanked that post. Seems to me a perfect example of hypocrisy, where you can call for someone to be summarily executed without trial (you know be murdered), and are thanked for doing so by 2 other posters, who all condemned someone for inciting violence.

Also, quick question, would you say the same thing about Israeli's who incite violence for example here is something the current Foreign Minister said:
    Statements towards Arab members of Knesset

--SNIP--
    In November 2006, Lieberman, who described Arab members of the Knesset that meet with Hamas as "terror collaborators", called for their execution: "World War II ended with the Nuremburg Trials. The heads of the Nazi regime, along with their collaborators, were executed. I hope this will be the fate of the collaborators in [the Knesset]."[78]
    --SNIP--

I take you view Lieberman in a similar fashion, right? Or do your views that people should be shot on sight only apply to Palestinians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

gigino wrote: »
    No, give him a trial by all means. He does not deny he incites violence/terrorism I take it, judging by his brazen attitude on the video a few pages back. If he decides to starve himself while he is in detention, he gets no sympathy from me. I have sympathy for men women and children on a bus blown up by a suicide bomber, not for the lifestyle of the man who encourages others to blow up said buses etc with explosive belts.
    Ever see a 5 year old girl blinded and with her leg blown off by a suicide bomber?

4 months detention is too short for that fellow, and he had not even the manners to eat the food he was given during that time.

No.
    Why attempt to use emotive imagery in a discussion that essentially comes down to politics?
    Have you seen a 5 year old girl blinded and with her leg blown off by a suicide bomber?
    What did she look like? How did she feel?
    Have you seen a 5 year old girl blinded and with her leg blown off by an 'offically' sanctioned bombing from a country you deem fit to deploy these bombs?
    I'd imagine she just felt happy that they'd only blinded her, obliterated one of her legs and saved her from the early death that she deserved, eh?
    What f*cking point are you making?

ascanbe wrote: »
    What f*cking point are you making?

The man who addresses rallies of Jihad supporters.... the man who speaks in to a microphone and encourages others to blow up said buses etc with explosive belts.....the man detained for only 4 months for that does not deserve as much sympathy as the victims of his Jihad campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

wes wrote: »
    No that is incitement. 2 different things entirely.

BTW, would you consider yourself a murderer on the basis of the following statement:

I would call that incitement personally. Also, I find it interesting that someone who is condemning a man for inciting violence (the man deserves to be condemned for that), would themselves then incite violence, and whats doubly interesting is that both gigino and lividduck thanked that post. Seems to me a perfect example of hypocrisy, where you can call for someone to be summarily executed without trial (you know be murdered), and are thanked for doing so by 2 other posters, who all condemned someone for inciting violence.

Also, quick question, would you say the same thing about Israeli's who incite violence for example here is something the current Foreign Minister said:

I take you view Lieberman in a similar fashion, right? Or do your views that people should be shot on sight only apply to Palestinians?

Silly guy , I am inciting justice not murder. Inciting murder is murder if i paid you 2 mill to kill someone I would be done for a murder related charge. This is basically what hes doing , except he is persuading these people to commit mass murder so its kinda worse. But if you want him released thats cool lets release him sure isnt he only trying to free his people by inciting his people to blow themselves and others up .
    You have spotted a legal technicality nothing more

The man who addresses rallies of Jihad supporters.... the man who speaks in to a microphone and encourages others to blow up said buses etc with explosive belts.....the man detained for only 4 months for that does not deserve as much sympathy as the victims of his Jihad campaign.

So, then charge him and give him a fair trial then. I don't understand why this man doesn't deserve a trial. FFS, even Nazi's got a trial. Why does this man uniquely not deserve a trial? Come on, how about you give a good reason why he does not deserve a fair trail?

So, then charge him and give him a fair trial then. I don't understand why this man doesn't deserve a trial. FFS, even Nazi's got a trial. Why does this man uniquely not deserve a trial? Come on, how about you give a good reason why he does not deserve a fair trail?
    Trials cost money
    He got out in less time than the remand would of taken.
    Maybe the security for the trial would have cost millions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Trials cost money
    He got out in less time than the remand would of taken.
    Maybe the security for the trial would have cost millions.
    Ah sure lets lock up all people accused of social welfare fraud; save money on the trial and on social welfare payments.

No point.

• Advertisement

Ah sure lets lock up all people accused of social welfare fraud; save money on the trial and on social welfare payments.
    That is being a bit silly as well we are talking about international security here. Maybe they just needed him tied up for a few days while they investigated ****.
    Maybe he refused to acknowledge their court , maybe he wasnt fit to stand trial due to his hunger strike. Maybe he was a baddy and he went to jail for a while and its a good story .

FFS, even Nazi's got a trial.
    Some top ones did, but most did not.

If I wanted to avoid a 4 month spell in prison in Israel I would not become the spokesperson for Islamic Jihad and address a rally with a microphone and incite radical islamists to commit mass murder with bullets, explosive belts etc.

If people were blowing up hundreds or thousands of civilian targets here, would you put their spokesperson in jail for 4 months or what would you do? I reckon 4 months was too good for him.

Silly guy , I am inciting justice not murder.

No your not. You calling for a man to be murdered. This is incitement. A call for justice would involve a trial and charges. You, however call for none of those things, you said he should be shot on sight, with no attempt to ascertain guilt etc. This is very much a call for murder.
    Inciting murder is murder if i paid you 2 mill to kill someone I would be done for a murder related charge.

No, incitement is the following:
    incitement - an act of urging on or spurring on or rousing to action or instigating; "the incitement of mutiny"

So, calling for a man to be shot on sight fits the definition of incitement.

Also, paying someone else to murder someone would count as murder, and not incitement. Amazing that you can't tell the different between the 2.
    This is basically what hes doing , except he is persuading these people to commit mass murder so its kinda worse.

No what he is doing is incitement. So unless you can show where he paid someone to murder someone or was directly involved in the planning of the murder of someone, then he is guilty of incitement.
    But if you want him released thats cool lets release him sure isnt he only trying to free his people by inciting his people to blow themselves and others up .

If the Israeli's have proof of any crimes, they should charge him and give him a fair trial. If they don't, then they need to let him go. That's been my position from there start. Your position is to murder him, without any kind of trail, and the basis of a single video.
    You have spotted a legal technicality nothing more

No, I spotted hypocrisy, from those who condemn another man for doing the exact same thing you have happily done in this thread.

Also, I will take the fact you didn't answer my question in regards to Israelis engaging in inciting violence, as you only having this opinion in regards to Palestinians.

I couldnt give a **** who got the land. Isrealis palestinians they are all the same to me. Seems you picked a side though .
    There are people in Ireland that go to jail for contempt of court, no trial .
    Why do you relate with this man, I cant get my head around it.
    He was a member of a terrorist organisation .
    Just becuse he claims to be spokesman makes it ok?
    Who says everyone deserves a trial , I never said that . Internment goes on in alot of countries when the **** hits the fan and the **** has been hitting the fan in Isreal for a long time.

Some top ones did, but most did not.

Yeah, so people who were responsible for one of the worst crimes in history get trials, but this guy doesn't deserve one. Sorry, but that is some utter bull****.
    If I wanted to avoid a 4 month spell in prison in Israel I would not become the spokesperson for Islamic Jihad and address a rally with a microphone and incite radical islamists to commit mass murder with bullets, explosive belts etc.

Well, you seem to think that calling for the death of this man without trial, is apparently just fine, as per the fact you thanked a post calling for exactly that. I guess your ok with murder, when you decide someone has to die.
    If people were blowing up hundreds or thousands of civilian targets here, would you put their spokesperson in jail for 4 months or what would you do? I reckon 4 months was too good for him.

No one is blowing hundreds of 1000s of civilians on either side of Israeli Palestinian conflict. Seems to me, you have no idea what your talking about. Also, btw Israel has murdered a hell of a lot more civilians than the Palestinians, but its not like Palestinians lives ever matter to supporters of Israeli.

Btw, to answer your question, I would put someone who is accused of murder on trial, to ascertain there guilt, and if found guilty, then they should be punished. Btw, I have said the exact same thing from the start.

You on the other hand seem to think shooting someone on sight, without a trial is a great idea.

That is being a bit silly as well we are talking about international security here. Maybe they just needed him tied up for a few days while they investigated ****.
    Maybe he refused to acknowledge their court , maybe he wasnt fit to stand trial due to his hunger strike. Maybe he was a baddy and he went to jail for a while and its a good story .
    It's not silly really, you believe that a person should be imprisoned without charge or a trial; by that logic, it makes perfect sense to imprison people accused of social welfare fraud, without bothering with the frivolous expense of a trial.

It's kind of a binary situation really; either you support the principle that people should be charged and put on trial before rights are removed or they are imprisoned, or you don't support that.

• Advertisement

But wes nobody seems to care , who are you to tell Isreal how to handle their business . Im sure they know alot more about whats going on than you .

I couldnt give a **** who got the land. Isrealis palestinians they are all the same to me. Seems you picked a side though .

So you don't care about the whole reason for the conflict, and much of the violence perpetuated by both side of the conflict. Well thats a bizarre position to take, ignoring the motive for most of the violence for both sides.
    There are people in Ireland that go to jail for contempt of court, no trial .

Hardly a fair comparison to what Israel does and tbh it smacks of desperation.
    Why do you relate with this man, I cant get my head around it.

I don't relate to him at all.
    He was a member of a terrorist organisation .

So? In a world where a Nazi gets a trail, I see no reason why this guy shouldn't get one either.
    Just becuse he claims to be spokesman makes it ok?

No, everyone deserves a fair trial, and deserves to know what charges are being made against them. This guy isn't special.

Also, there are 300 more people in prison, including children being held by Israel without trial. The problem is the system of unfair and racist justice that Israel perpetuates, where there is one set of rules for Palestinians and another for Israelis, but you clearly don't care about that, and are supportive of different rules on the basis of race. A system of law without equality before it, is worthless.
    Who says everyone deserves a trial , I never said that .

No, you made it very clear, that you want him to be shot on sight. Which is incitement btw.
    Internment goes on in alot of countries when the **** hits the fan and the **** has been hitting the fan in Isreal for a long time.

Other people doing something is no defense, and the fact that you chose such a defense is comical. Surely, anything can be defended with such logic, a Palestinian terrorists can defend his actions saying "look Israel kill civilians, so its ok for me", or an Israeli terrorist can say "look Palaestinains kill civilians, so its ok for me". The logic you use is truly absurd, as someone else doing the same thing is no defense at all.

But wes nobody seems to care ,

Lots of people care actually. If no one cared, this thread wouldn't exist for example. If no one cared, this story would have received no media coverage. So clearly some people cared.
    who are you to tell Isreal how to handle their business .

I can comment on anything within the rules of this web site. Also, btw you seem more than happy to offer suggestions to Israel in this case yourself, by saying a man should be shot on sight. So who are you tell Israel how to handle there business?
    Im sure they know alot more about whats going on than you .

Sorry, but why should I trust a country stealing land outside there borders, and who enforces a racist system of justice, where there are far harsher set of rules for Palestinians on the sole basis of them not being Israeli. On that basis alone, I would find claims from Israel questionable.

But wes nobody seems to care , who are you to tell Isreal how to handle their business . Im sure they know alot more about whats going on than you .

'Nobody seems to care'..lol.
    C'mon, man; are you serious?
    This issue, Israel/Palestine etc, rears its head all the time on boards and many people seem to care quite deeply about it; understandably, as it's possibly the key/most important/influential discussion there is today.
    Perhaps the discussion around purely economic issues have usurped it, but it's still up there.
    And Wes is someone who's been arguing his point forcefully, diligently and, in my opinion, convincingly, and meeting with much opposition on such threads, ever since i started reading boards and has typed a hell of a lot of words in continuing to try and get his point across.
    So, i think it's fair to say many people here care about this issue; and, obviously, innumerable do in the wider world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dlofnep wrote: »
    The least they owe him after detaining him without a trial or charge is the relevant care. But it's not stated either way.
    brimal wrote: »
    Glad he is being released.

Israel has some of the best hospitals in the world - hopefully he gets the treatment he needs and he makes some sort of full recovery if possible.

I was thinking the same.. Some people get very defensive around here.

Israeli medical care is first class, and a very caring society.

Rambam hospital have cared for many UN troops (including Irish) injured in Lebanon - in fact its the hospital of choice for serious medivac's.

And I'm sure the Haiti earthquake is still fresh in people's minds, well the Israeli's had two field hospitals on the ground and operational within 48 hours.

He'll be fine I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Rambam hospital have cared for many UN troops (including Irish) injured in Lebanon - in fact its the hospital of choice for serious medivac's.

And I'm sure the Haiti earthquake is still fresh in people's minds, well the Israeli's had two field hospitals on the ground and operational within 48 hours.

He'll be fine I'm sure.

Yes for natural disasters they probably have the best emergency response teams going. And they always offer assistance.

I remember Turkey refused their help during the recent bad earthquakes and then a few days later gave in and accepted. More lives could have been saved if Turkey weren't so stubborn.

The larger issue has been discussed.

The guy is off hunger strike, and btw in accepting fluids and medication payed for by the Israeli tax payer it wasn't even a proper starvation.. He just refused solids.

He'll be grand.

He'll be fine I'm sure.

Yes for natural disasters they probably have the best emergency response teams going. And they always offer assistance.

I remember Turkey refused their help during the recent bad earthquakes and then a few days later gave in and accepted. More lives could have been saved if Turkey weren't so stubborn.
    Despite many trying to tie tgat in with the flotilla to Gaza, I think Turkey refused aid from most countries in the inital stages.

a month later turkey offered fire fighters to help with wild fires in Haifa, which Israel accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

DeValera detained known IRA men here in the 26 counties during " the emergency" . Some even died. And there was no big outcry about that as they were seen as a threat to society......

Your historical knowledge continues to astound me.

I couldnt give a **** who got the land. Isrealis palestinians they are all the same to me. ...........

So you're commenting here just to get peoples back up then. Wonderful.

DeValera detained known IRA men here in the 26 counties during " the emergency" . Some even died.

Three died.

They were;

Seán McCaughey, who died on hunger strike in May 1946. Like Sands, he refused to wear a prison uniform. He was also the last prisoner to die on hunger strike in the Irish republic.

Tony D'Arcy, also an Irish republican. Died on hunger strike in 1940.

And Sean McNeela, republican prisoner died on hunger strike in 1940.

This information can be found on sinnfein.ie as their deaths are commemorated each year.

Article from Khader Adnan's wife in the Guardian:
    My husband, Khadr Adnan, has shed a light on Israel's disregard for human rights
    Through his own suffering, Khadr has helped expose the plight of Palestinians held under 'administrative detention' by Israel

My husband, Khadr Adnan, has now become a household name across the world. Four months ago he was unknown outside of our homeland, Palestine. His hunger strike of 66 days has now transformed him into a towering global figure and a shining symbol of my people's struggle.

Our life was turned upside down on 17 December 2011 when Israeli troops raided our home in Araba village, south of Jenin, in the occupied West Bank. It was about 3am when they broke down the doors and stormed into our house.

The havoc they wreaked would always remain etched on the minds of our two daughters, Ma'ali, aged four and Baysan, one and a half years old. I would not be surprised if even our unborn baby which I now bear will also be affected. Such was the trauma that accompanied the Israeli raid.

Khadar has been a student activist for many years. He is no shadowy figure; an outspoken local leader against the Israeli occupation. He is well known to both the Israeli occupation authorities and the Palestinian Authority in Ramallah. Both have detained him for various periods without charge.

This constant harassment has stood between Khadar and the completion of his master's degree in economics. Yet, we remain a normal couple, yearning for the much-needed stability and freedom to raise our children; to give them the happiness that is the entitlement of every child. With my own university degree, I have no doubt that, as parents we are well equipped to realise our ambitions. But life under Israel's military occupation has turned our dream into a nightmare.

Not for the first time, Khadar has used hunger strike, his powerful form of peaceful protest, to great effect. When the Palestinian Authority forces detained him in 2010 he went on a hunger strike for 12 consecutive days; forcing the Ramallah authority to release him.

Likewise, he staged several hunger strikes in the occupation's detention camps. The last of these was carried out in 2005, which lasted nine days in solitary confinement.

What drives my husband to pursue this dangerous and difficult form of resistance? I have no doubt it is the unjust nature of the "administrative detention" and its notorious methods of torture and humiliation. From the moment he was bungled into their military vehicle in December, insults and veiled threats were thrown at him. They even tried to unhinge him psychologically by claiming I was unfaithful, a vicious calumny he dismissed with scorn.

I know my husband well; I love him, and will always remain faithful to him. He knows this and this is why he spurned the cheap talk of his tormentors. Khadar was never motivated by personal hurt or inconvenience. He, like thousands of other young Palestinians, is determined to see an end to the occupation. He is driven by a higher logic: to expose to the world the plight of 300 Palestinians held now in administrative detention; and another 4,000 sentenced by the occupation. Since 1967, more than 650,000 Palestinians have passed through Israeli jails, many of them in "administrative detention", an average of one in every four in the occupied territories.

Administrative detention is a nebulous and vindictive measure used by the occupation against our young men and women. It is one of the cruel legacies of the old British mandate in Palestine. Today, in the absence of any deterrent or condemnation from the international community, Israel uses it with increasing frequency against university students and lecturers, young professionals and even elected parliamentarians. It is part of an immoral policy used to keep Palestinians in a state of perpetual poverty and under-development.

When a military commander issues an order for administrative detention, no evidence is produced. No charges are brought against the victims, and the occupation has no obligation to give reasons for the detention. This is by no means a legal mechanism. It is simply an arbitrary draconian measure used to inflict psychological and physical harm on its victims. When they are fortunate enough to be brought before a judge, he can detain them for periods of six months that can be extended indefinitely. The prisoners' problem is so prevalent today that Palestinians have had to create a special ministry for prisoners' affairs.

I know my husband is not selfish. This is why I supported him every step of the way. As with any devoted wife, I am duty bound to help him bear the burden of our oppressed people. Our relatives and extended family have supported us with equal fortitude. Indeed, I would not be telling a lie if I say that all Palestinians across the whole political spectrum and millions of freedom-loving people in the world have also stood with us.

Now that the occupation has decided under pressure to free my husband in April, hundreds more would continue to languish in putrid cells under the same illegal inhuman scheme. Khadar has, however, delivered his message to whom it concerns. That, this long night of tyranny and inhumanity will come to an end.

We are well aware that the Israelis may try to renege on this week's agreement – as they have done with the recent prisoner exchange deal – by re-arresting the freed prisoners. But for every occasion there will be a response, and I have no doubt my husband would not hesitate to resume his stoic struggle, with even more strength and determination.

For me, the most difficult part of this ordeal has been the knowledge that at any time I could receive a phone call announcing that my husband is dead. But this is the price for our freedom. It is the indispensable sacrifice needed so that our children would enjoy a life of freedom and dignity.

To the free world, the millions who heard of Khadar and supported him by calling for his release, I extend our heartfelt thanks and appreciation.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/feb/22/khadr-adnan-israel-human-rights

Article from Khader Adnan's wife in the

Good, internment is wrong regardless under whose regime its used.

The Israeli's and Christian South Lebanese Army done it in Lebanon and brought their captives to the infamous Khiam interigation center, and their center in Saff Al Hawa.

Its a stupid idea, and cruel system which ultimately fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Really? When they take time off from ethnicly cleansing Palestinians and starving them in the Gaza ghetto?

Did this hospital deal with those Irish UN troops that were murdered by Israeli forces?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Really? When they take time off from ethnicly cleansing Palestinians and starving them in the Gaza ghetto?

Did this hospital deal with those Irish UN troops that were murdered by Israeli forces?

Zzzzz..

• Advertisement

Zzzzz..

Never slag me off fer 1 liners again, ty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Wow...how objective can you get, a defence for terrorism from a terrorist moutpieces wife!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

The Israeli's and Christian South Lebanese Army done it in Lebanon and brought their captives to the infamous Khiam interigation center, and their center in Saff Al Hawa.

I really wish that I could live in an Ivory tower in the middle of Utopia.
    however, like so many I live in the real world, where terrorism like that perpetrated by RIRA, Islamic Jihad and Al Quaida actually exist.
    By the weather hows the view of Utopia from your ivory tower?

lividduck wrote: »
    however, like so many I live in the real world, where terrorism like that perpetrated by RIRA, Islamic Jihad and Al Quaida actually exist.

And behold, a rich vein of Comedy Gold was struck. And yea, it was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Yes indeed, Khiam to this day remains one of the biggest propaganda tools used by various factions in Lebanon.

Jaafa wrote: »
    Yes indeed, Khiam to this day remains one of the biggest propaganda tools used by various factions in Lebanon.

Certain partys were a tad embarrassed by it.....
    http://liammaloney.photoshelter.com/image/I0000LbfRExClOko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Fantastic news he is being released. Justice and common sense have prevailed.

First of all she doesnt mention anything about him inciting terrorist attacks then she just pretty much describes internment. Im not saying internment is right or wrong but it goes on all around the world.
    When a military commander issues an order for administrative detention, no evidence is produced. No charges are brought against the victims, and the occupation has no obligation to give reasons for the detention. This is by no means a legal mechanism. It is simply an arbitrary draconian measure used to inflict psychological and physical harm on its victims. When they are fortunate enough to be brought before a judge, he can detain them for periods of six months that can be extended indefinitely. The prisoners' problem is so prevalent today that Palestinians have had to create a special ministry for prisoners' affairs.
    Why is everyone picking on Isreal. As one commentator once put it
    Wake up in the mornin lots of hot water
    Workin electricity working all night
    Oh Oh the isrealites

lividduck wrote: »

I rarely reply to idiotic posts, but for your's I'll make an exception.

I wasn't living in an Ivory tower growing in during 'The Troubles' in Ireland and when I served in, and witnessed Israeli and SLA forces intern people in South Lebanon I certainly wasn't living in anything close to an Ivory tower... So tell me grandad "what did YOU do during the war?".

• Advertisement

First of all she doesnt mention anything about him inciting terrorist attacks then she just pretty much describes internment. Im not saying internment is right or wrong but it goes on all around the world.
    +1. Its used by most if not all countries when the S**t hits the fan. And hunger strikes are nothing new. A few IRA men who were detained by DeValera here in the forties went on hunger strike and killed themselves and the world did not end. And at least they did not incite others to wear explosive belts and blow up buses.

+1. Its used by most if not all countries when the S**t hits the fan. And hunger strikes are nothing new. A few IRA men who were detained by DeValera here in the forties went on hunger strike and killed themselves and the world did not end. And at least they did not incite others to wear explosive belts and blow up buses.

Ahh Jimmy, Gigino, it must be awful - to be doomed to repeat the same thing over and over and over.

Nodin wrote: »
    it must be awful - to be doomed to repeat the same thing over and over and over.
    I do not know, but look at the video someone else posted of your Palestinian hunger striker friend shouting in to the microphone at the rally encouraging and inciting others to terrorism.

I do not know,..........

I'd say ye do.
    DeValera detained known IRA men here in the 26 counties during " the emergency...
    Did DeValera charge the IRA men he imprisoned during the emergency?
    Here in this state DeValera interred the IRA during WW2......
    A few IRA men who were detained by DeValera here in the forties went on hunger strike ......

You a big Dev fan?

You a big Dev fan?

He was Taoiseach of the time. The subject of this thread is hunger strike. Not very many people in Ireland nowadays know that we had our own hunger strikers in this 26 county state , and they were allowed die.

He was Taoiseach of the time. The subject of this thread is hunger strike. Not very many people in Ireland nowadays know that we had our own hunger strikers in this 26 county state , and they were allowed die.

Yeah....and the point of bringing in that fact four times in roughly the same number of pages? "Dev did it so it must be ok". Because "it happened here so it must be ok" makes even less sense.

• Advertisement

"Dev did it so it must be ok".
    most countries detain people who are members of organisations who plant bombs / blow up innocent people, and who speak through the microphone at a radical iaslamic rally inciting others to wear explosive belts/ commit terrorism. He is lucky he only got 4 months ; many of the victims of Islamic Jihad fared worse.
    This thread is about a hunger striker ; you seemingly have no comment to make on the last time 3 hunger strikers killed themslves in this state, when Dev was Taoiseach. I suppose you would have been one of the extremely small minority who stood up for those hunger strikers in the forties too? Or is it just hunger strikers in a foreign jurisdiction you support?

most countries detain people who are members of organisations who plant bombs / blow up innocent people,

You left out the part of no trial and no charges being made. BTW, there is no proof this guy actually blew anyone up, and if there was, he would have been charged.

Also, someone else doing something is no excuse. After all, plenty of people blow people up e.g. the Israeli military blow innocent Palestinians, so by your own bizare logic, then its ok for everyone to do apparently.
    and who speak through the microphone at a radical iaslamic rally inciting others to wear explosive belts/ commit terrorism.

So why wasn't he charged. Come on, give me a single good reason for this. If your so sure of his guilt, why weren't the Israeli's? Why no charge on anything at all?

BTW, plenty of people incite violence, we have an example on this thread, that you thanked btw. Plenty of people calling for war against Iran in the West as well btw. So again by your own bizare logic, its ok to incite violence as others do it too.
    He is lucky he only got 4 months ;

For what? He was not charged with anything, nor found guilty of any crime. If evidence of a crime existed, then why no charges or a trial.
    many of the victims of Islamic Jihad fared worse.

Many victim of Zionist expansionist policies haven't fared much better, but I fail to see what your saying has to do with a man being held without charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭The Israeli

Solidarity with the hunger striker is in this picture.

I notice this happened near to Hebron, where settlers regularly attack Palestinians. For those who are unaware of the context of this area:

Israeli–Palestinian conflict in Hebron

Plenty of violence in that area due to less than a 1000 extremist settlers making life hell for the Palestinian living there. Just letting everyone know the context of the area.

most countries detain people who are members of organisations who plant bombs / blow up innocent people, and who speak through the microphone at a radical iaslamic rally inciting others to wear explosive belts/ commit terrorism. He is lucky he only got 4 months ; many of the victims of Islamic Jihad fared worse.?

He wasn't charged with anything.
    This thread is about a hunger striker ; you seemingly have no comment to make on the last time 3 hunger strikers killed themslves in this state, when Dev was Taoiseach.....

....because it was 70-80 years ago and bears no relevance whatsoever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement