Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

petition - cats reclassified from vermin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I think thats a bit unfair--Can you prove that this is going on?

A poster or possibly two posters admitted to shooting cats in one of the previous cat threads here. There have also been posts in the shooting forum where people have enquired about the legality & been told to go ahead.

I would rather not have to "troll" through loads of threads but I will if you insist.

EDIT: I didn't have to there are lots of them. One example:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055577698

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Discodog wrote: »
    The dislike of cats goes way back in history.

Mainly only in Ireland from my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Finally I agree with you on something--The feral problem needs dealing with while protecting peoples pets.[/Quote]
    Bound to happen eventually! My honest opinion of TNR is its great in theory but thats as far as it goes, sure it might help in some areas but to call it a solution to a national problem is living with your head in the clouds!

@angry kitten :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

A poster or possibly two posters admitted to shooting cats in one of the previous cat threads here. There have also been posts in the shooting forum where people have enquired about the legality & been told to go ahead.

From what I have read most of those posts were regarding feral cats and the legality of shooting them not pets.

I would rather not have to "troll" through loads of threads but I will if you insist.

Calling me a troll??

[Quote=Discodog; [/QUOTE]

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055577698[/Quote]
    Ill hold my hands up to that and save ya the trouble, feral cats tho not pets

• Advertisement

Mo60 wrote: »
    Mainly only in Ireland from my experience.

No it's pretty much worldwide. A lot of it stems from witchcraft. I watched a good documentary a few years ago. Yet in some culture like Ancient Egypt & Tibet/Nepal Cats were revered & worshipped.

From what I have read most of those posts were regarding feral cats and the legality of shooting them not pets.

That's why I said this:
    Boards is a representative sample of Irish society & there are people who would kill cats & some who already shoot, what they say are, feral cats.

The point is that if you shoot ferals you could be shooting a pet or what was a pet a few days ago.

The only way to deal with ferals without a risk to pets is TNR which is why it is adopted as the standard method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055577698

One of the reasons I don't let mine outside.
    The level of hatred towards cats by some people is just unbelievable, the amount of people I have got talking to about cats/dogs who have said that they 'don't like cats but wouldn't purposely hurt them' compared to 'just not a great dog lover', you rarely hear 'don't like dogs but wouldn't purposely hurt them'. Bad analogy I know but it shows that people feel the need to point out they wouldn't go out to cause harm to a cat. Plenty of people I know who would purposely swerve towards a cat on the road. I even remember going out with a friend door to door looking for her cat, one woman felt the need to tell us she hated cats and that she would run over her cat if she seen him on the road to an 11 year old. :eek:

It terrifies me that if my cat got out (or broke loose of her harness while walking in the garden) her fate might end up in the hands of some of the above people, she wears a collar with a very informative tag but it's a quick release collar that can come off easily. If someone purposely caused her harm I could not be held accountable for my actions because being honest I would snap.
    At least I have more faith that if my dog got out some kind person would check his collar or microchip and return him, or at least drop him off at the pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Zapperzy wrote: »
    If someone purposely caused her harm I could not be held accountable for my actions because being honest I would snap...

Me too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

kildare.17hmr, can I ask why you shoot feral cats, and where? City or country?

Do people sometimes ask you to shoot them because the numbers have spiralled out of control at a location, or do you shoot them if you just happen to come upon one when you're out hunting?

What indicates to you that it's a feral, and not a nervy house cat? Itn my own experience up close with both ferals and scared strays, sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between them.

I'm most interested in why you see them as vermin, but not pet cats?

Just trying to see it from your point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Zapperzy wrote: »
    It terrifies me that if my cat got out (or broke loose of her harness while walking in the garden) her fate might end up in the hands of some of the above people, she wears a collar with a very informative tag but it's a quick release collar that can come off easily. If someone purposely caused her harm I could not be held accountable for my actions because being honest I would snap.
    At least I have more faith that if my dog got out some kind person would check his collar or microchip and return him, or at least drop him off at the pound.

Plenty of people help lost cats and bring them to be checked for a MC. As for falling into the wrong hands I think this is more more to do with temperment and how trusting the animal is, the same goes for dogs.

I do agree with you that there seems to be more done for dogs than cats, eg dog home checks with the DSPCA but not cats.

boomerang wrote: »
    What indicates to you that it's a feral, and not a nervy house cat? Itn my own experience up close with both ferals and scared strays, sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between them.

TBF both can cause damage the same way that a dog that has gone for a jolly and a dog that has been dumped can cause damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Wow, the response to this thread has shocked me. It was posted to make people aware of the petitions existence, so that anyone interested in signing and helping feral cats could do so. What it became was a free for all of cat haters hijacking it to vent their spleens and suggesting that rather than help feral cats they be killed instead.

I have to say that reading the comments people posted favouring killing cats makes me feel thoroughly ashamed to be Irish. What a wonderful, charitable animal loving nation we are.

This is a discussion forum, if you post something here it will be stripped down piece by piece and discussed and view points from all angles will given, that is the whole point of a discussion forum. If you are unwilling to accept other peoples viewpoint without insulting them - then you are in the wrong place. Perhaps it will have opened your eyes to the fact that your view point is not shared by as many people as you thought. If this thread were in any other Boards forum I believe you would in fact find yourself in the distinct minority. eg
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056427453

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I remember seeing a programe about cats and their habits/range a few years back.
    An interesting read on cats and their lifestyle.

http://www.spotonwormer4cats.com/cattitude/downloads/Secret%20Lives%20of%20CatsLOW.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

boomerang wrote: »
    kildare.17hmr, can I ask why you shoot feral cats, and where? City or country?

Do people sometimes ask you to shoot them because the numbers have spiralled out of control at a location, or do you shoot them if you just happen to come upon one when you're out hunting?

It is completely unfair that you would ask questions of a poster in this forum that their reply may get them banned - ask these questions by PM or in an appropriate forum.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Domestic cats roam by nature, they have their own paths through areas & the boundaries of 'their patch' are determined through social interaction etc. Provided the cat is neutered/spayed, & kept up to date with needles, there should be no problem whatsoever letting a cat 'roam'.

There is no vaccines for all strains of FIV and feline leukemia, these can spread very fast with social interaction. There are cats that will crap in long grass or if unwell, anywhere! Cats can also cause damage by jumping up onto cars as they use their claws for traction as well as their pads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

This is a discussion forum, if you post something here it will be stripped down piece by piece and discussed and view points from all angles will given, that is the whole point of a discussion forum. If you are unwilling to accept other peoples viewpoint without insulting them - then you are in the wrong place. Perhaps it will have opened your eyes to the fact that your view point is not shared by as many people as you thought. If this thread were in any other Boards forum I believe you would in fact find yourself in the distinct minority. eg
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056427453
    I'm very surprised at your tone adrenalinjunkie, your function as a moderator seems to be overshadowed by your hatred of cats. Incidently I haven't insulted anyone.

There is no vaccines for all strains of FIV and feline leukemia, these can spread very fast with social interaction. There are cats that will crap in long grass or if unwell, anywhere! Cats can also cause damage by jumping up onto cars as they use their claws for traction as well as their pads.
    perhaps you'd like to cull all the birds who poop on cars, maybe we could move on to fines for anyone's dog found piddling against the side of your car, or maybe we should just kill all of the animals who aren't under 24 hour a day 7 day a week house arrest, just on the off chance they might urinate or defecate anywhere. Good old tolerant Ireland.

I'm very surprised at your tone adrenalinjunkie, your function as a moderator seems to be overshadowed by your hatred of cats. Incidently I haven't insulted anyone.

One bit of advice that I would give you & any new posters is to do a search before you post. If you had done this you would of seen that there are plenty of posters who appear to dislike cats. I am not saying that you shouldn't still post but at least you will be forearmed regarding some of the likely responses.

Any search will reveal that some posters, who you might assume to be animal lovers, are not cat lovers !

Finally I agree with you on something--The feral problem needs dealing with while protecting peoples pets.
    Bound to happen eventually! My honest opinion of TNR is its great in theory but thats as far as it goes, sure it might help in some areas but to call it a solution to a national problem is living with your head in the clouds!

@angry kitten :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    TNR does more than it says on the tin. Cats that are trapped are checked over by a vet. They are treated for disease and any that cannot be helped are euthanised. Nobody wants hordes of sick animals roaming around. Many land owners are more than happy to have feral cats rehomed on their land.

Many communities are quite happy to have neutered feral cats in their community. In fact in some cases they are seen as community cats and people feed them, keep an eye on them and look after them. If more people adopted that approach things would be very different. As opposed to people suggesting that we allow idiots with guns to take pot shots at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

perhaps you'd like to cull all the birds who poop on cars, maybe we could move on to fines for anyone's dog found piddling against the side of your car, or maybe we should just kill all of the animals who aren't under 24 hour a day 7 day a week house arrest, just on the off chance they might urinate or defecate anywhere. Good old tolerant Ireland.
    ONCE AGAIN: Wild birds, and other wild animals, are wild, there is no-one responsible for them. Cats do (or should) have someone responsible for them. This person should step up to their responsibility to keep their pet 1) safe and 2) from annoying other people by keeping THEIR animal on their own property.

Much of this 'cat hatred', as you call is, is from people who are fed up of other people's cats in their gardens digging up flower beds to cover their poo, soiling gardens and making it dangerous for children to play, killing birds, killing ornamental fish, sitting on top of walls teasing dogs*, scratching paintwork on cars, spreading fleas around gardens, sitting under their fecking windows all night yowling, and so on. You seem to be on the fact that you like your cats, and they don't do anything to annoy you, so you can't put yourself in other people's shoes, and you can't imagine that anything your cats do could possibly annoy other people.

You seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that many people like cats ok, but have been so annoyed by having other people's imposed on them, and feeling impotent from not having any recourse to their owners, that they've gotten frustrated and angry.

If I treated my dogs like most people treat their cats; throw them out of the house in the morning before I head off for work, and let them wander the neighbourhood with no shelter until I get them in before I go to bed, unless they've vanished either for days or for good, people on this forum would see me strung up for neglect. It never ceases to amaze me that what so many people believe to be proper care for a cat would be called extreme neglect if they did it with any other animal.

*This happened to me with a big ginger fecker. I had the neighbours round telling me to keep my dogs quiet or they'd go to the gardai, there's no-one I can tell to keep their cat from annoying my pets. These days I have to keep the curtains in the rear of my house closed, and a big box against the end so that my dogs can't see into my own fecking garden lest they get wound up by cats on the back wall.

kylith wrote: »
    Cats do (or should) have someone responsible for them. This person should step up to their responsibility to keep their pet 1) safe and 2) from annoying other people by keeping THEIR animal on their own property.

Yes but when they don't the welfare of those animals become the responsibility of all of us. Whatever the origins of a Feral cat you cannot escape the fact that it was put there by society & the same society has the obligation to ensure that it is treated humanely.

If anyone is annoyed by a neighbour's cat then take it up with the neighbour & don't take it out on the cat. There are no laws controlling the confinement of domestic cats & there aren't going to be any so there is no point in getting angry about something that you cannot change.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

@angry kitten :rolleyes:
    As opposed to people suggesting that we allow idiots with guns to take pot shots at them.[/QUOTE]

Enough of the anti-hunting posts.This thread is not about hunting.There are also rules regarding soap boxing and pushing an agenda constantly.Consider this a warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

One bit of advice that I would give you & any new posters is to do a search before you post. If you had done this you would of seen that there are plenty of posters who appear to dislike cats. I am not saying that you shouldn't still post but at least you will be forearmed regarding some of the likely responses.

Any search will reveal that some posters, who you might assume to be animal lovers, are not cat lovers !

I was so shocked when it dawned on me that the animal and pets board is actually a hotbed of hatred for the 2nd most popular pet animal. Constant references to poisoning, shooting have borne this out time and time again. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

planetX wrote: »
    I was so shocked when it dawned on me that the animal and pets board is actually a hotbed of hatred for the 2nd most popular pet animal. Constant references to poisoning, shooting have borne this out time and time again. :mad:

Actually statisically cats are the 1st most popular pet in the world! :)

planetX wrote: »

But surely it is better that those views are out in the open for all to see. I would hate to see this forum become totally one sided. You can only argue against such views if people are free to post them in the first place.

TNR does more than it says on the tin. Cats that are trapped are checked over by a vet. They are treated for disease and any that cannot be helped are euthanised. Nobody wants hordes of sick animals roaming around. Many land owners are more than happy to have feral cats rehomed on their land.
    thays hreat for the areas that its being done in which is why i said it may work in places but a national solution it is not!

Who are these land owners your speaking for now? Do you know them? I know many land owners and only one that welcomes cats on to their land because last year he went away from farming animals and now produces wheat and rape and with the place being over run with rabbits he wants as many preditors there as will come for the moment to get the rabbits in check. After that he wont want them around

One farmer i know lost lambs to cats through disese and couldnt get help from any organisation.

A good friend of mine is also a farmer, he keeps sheep, cattle, ducks and chickens. Cats are not welcome on his land and especially the yard where the jack russel keeps rodents in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

. Many feral cats are tame cats who have been abandoned by owners who can no longer be bothered to care for them.

So To follow your logic, we should do TNR on stray dogs also, as they are only abandoned pets.
    Or why not apply the rules as used with stray dogs, ie caught and if not claimed within a period of time they are PTS. You can't have your cake and eat it.

thays hreat for the areas that its being done in which is why i said it may work in places but a national solution it is not!

Who are these land owners your speaking for now? Do you know them? I know many land owners and only one that welcomes cats on to their land because last year he went away from farming animals and now produces wheat and rape and with the place being over run with rabbits he wants as many preditors there as will come for the moment to get the rabbits in check. After that he wont want them around

One farmer i know lost lambs to cats through disese and couldnt get help from any organisation.

A good friend of mine is also a farmer, he keeps sheep, cattle, ducks and chickens. Cats are not welcome on his land and especially the yard where the jack russel keeps rodents in check.

50% of the calls I had for the cats I was rehoming were from farmers looking for barn cats (refused them as they weren't willing to neuter...)

• Advertisement

But surely it is better that those views are out in the open for all to see. I would hate to see this forum become totally one sided. You can only argue against such views if people are free to post them in the first place.

very true, we should all be free to post our views.

Advertisement