Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sell by Date

Options
  • 16-02-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,

I've made a batch of home brew in October 2010 and I recently found a few bottles that I had forgotten about.

My question is, when will my beer be past its "sell by date"?

Its a coopers kit by the way.

Thanks

Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

who cares! Drink up! :D

In all seriousness though, I'd have no idea but it doesn't sound too good to me!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've drank beers that have been years old and they've been fine. It depends on the beer, but the worst that'll happen is it might be a bit stale or vinegary. Like with any alcoholic drink there will never be anything living in it that can harm you.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭TempPeck

Is there a standard "best before" date?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It depends on the beer. Hop aromas are what will deteriorate first, from about the three-month mark. The stronger the beer the longer it will last; the darker the beer the more likely it is to hide off-flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

In a glass bottle, beer may undergo changes, but will never really "go off" so I say go for it...

Also, the changes are generally for the better - unless it's a very fresh hoppy taste you're after, as has been mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Would there be any concerns making a brew with an out-dated brew kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The yeast mightn't be in great nick... the tinned stuff should last a fair while though

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Philburns

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Would there be any concerns making a brew with an out-dated brew kit?

It tastes "out of date" even with fresh yeast... I know from experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

the longer it sits, the more the yeast ferments=more alcohol? Never done a home brew so am talking sh*t here but there's only one way to find out! If it tastes bad don't drink it, otherwise drink up!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

the longer it sits, the more the yeast ferments=more alcohol? Never done a home brew so am talking sh*t here but there's only one way to find out! If it tastes bad don't drink it, otherwise drink up!

once the fermentables (sugars) are eaten by the yeast, fermentation stops and of course there's a limit on the alc% you'll get depending on the type of yeast you use (something like 8-9% for a lager/ale yeast I'd guess) as when it hits this limit the alcohol will actually kill the yeast. Don't quote me on that though :p

I'd agree with your last part though, have a taste! If it tastes good then drink it! Just remember to put the toilet paper in the freezer before you go to bed just in case.... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭raher1

if it was sealed properly go for it. BUT try a small bit first to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oOjimbobOo

I drank beer that was 3 years out of date and had green stuff floating around in it and Im still alive. However, its wasnt home brew, I was pi$$ed and I didnt find out until the next day when I opened that last bottle!

Advertisement