Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New/Future releases sub-forum?

• 16-02-2012 1:58pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

I was thinking it might be good to have a new releases sub-forum, I know there is a thread floating about somewhere for new releases but its difficult to manage one long thread - also it gets messy if thrown into the main forum. What do others think, would you use one or find it useful? I know I would :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭ianuss

Sounds like a decent idea alright. I don't think your wallet will thank you for it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

+1

Although probably won't have a whole lot of funds to be spending on much stuff for the foreseeable future, doesn't stop perving I suppose

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah the wallet issue can get in the way alright... I'll go request the sub-forum, once I figure out where that is.

Ok request posted, it would be good if people can throw support posts over there...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056551202

Stickied so as to hopefully get more support....

• Advertisement

8 so far, need another 10 for it to be considered... oh and a thanks seemingly isn't good enough to show support, must be a post :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

Vinyl releases would be sweet

dubsbhoy wrote: »
    Vinyl releases would be sweet

Yeah that's what I'd love it for, along with CDs or any new releases basically. Something that each thread is specific to the release, so that the thread title can contain the name of the producer/track/label/genre/release date - easy for people at a glance to decide whether its of interest or not.

I mentioned in the forum request section the below website, I often look here for information on new releases - its more electronic (IDM :p ) focused but its a good example of what I'd like to see here on boards. We've quite a diverse range of preferences for genres here so I think it would make for a decent resource on new music if people contributed.

http://forum.watmm.com/forum/16-new-%26-upcoming-releases/

Yeah that's what I'd love it for, along with CDs or any new releases basically. Something that each thread is specific to the release, so that the thread title can contain the name of the producer/track/label/genre/release date - easy for people at a glance to decide whether its of interest or not.

I mentioned in the forum request section the below website, I often look here for information on new releases - its more electronic (IDM :p ) focused but its a good example of what I'd like to see here on boards. We've quite a diverse range of preferences for genres here so I think it would make for a decent resource on new music if people contributed.

http://forum.watmm.com/forum/16-new-%26-upcoming-releases/

If it gets the thumb down you could always set up a social group for whatever genre or format you want

Just had a look and can only find one group for the whole of boards ???

• Advertisement

17 people so far with a +1 for this sub-forum so according to the 'rules' only one more needed! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

17 people so far with a +1 for this sub-forum so according to the 'rules' only one more needed! :pac:

Are you not counted as one who wants it? Including you it would make it 18.

Are you not counted as one who wants it? Including you it would make it 18.

Yeah you would think so but apparently not - and actually just reading the charter over there it appears that a member with less than 50 posts isn't counted either, one of which is the case so it now actually needs 2 more votes! Plus for anyone else reading, a thanks isn't sufficient either, you have to actually post +1 or some other comment in favour (or not if that's the case :pac: )

I don't know if they are as strict for a sub-forum but below is the charter as listed over there... most relevant bits in bold.
    Forum requests Charter and procedure
    This is mainly to explain to users how the forum request procedure works (or how we hope it will work).

Forum requests
    Any user with over 50 posts *and* 3 months time as a member can suggest a forum. While a user can suggest a forum, the decision on whether that forum is a sub-forum of another, what category it is placed in and how many/who moderate that forum is not a topic for discussion here. A location can be included in the suggestion or suggested later but ultimately it is the Admins/cmods and mods that have the responsibility to keep the site coherent while encouraging it to grow and it is the admins/cmods and mods that will decide , without any undue pressure from users - including PMs or Posts rallying support in forums - where any newly created fora will be placed. While dicussion of placement is not against the charter, be aware that continued argument over an aspect that is beyond user control may be deemed to constitute trolling or a deliberate attempt to derail a topic. If you have a point to make, make it and then move on.

Procedure for Forum requests:

1. When a forum request is made the Request will be left open for 6 weeks from the start date.

2. At the end of 6 weeks the number of *clear* votes of support or opposition will be counted up.

What counts as a clear vote?

thanking a post is not a vote. thanking a post is just that, a thanked post.

posting +1 is counted as support.

Posting a reason that clearly shows support or opposition is counted

Posting conditional support (good idea, +1 from me as long as X,Y or Z is included) is not counted as the end forum may or may not include x,y or z in its final state.

Posting a vote multiple times will negate any previous support or opposition you have shown for the forum.

Who can vote
    While anyone can suggest a forum, only supporting votes are counted (the initial post is not counted in the final tally). In an effort to prevent abuse such as a user suggesting a forum and then either getting a load of friends to sign up to support it or worse, signing up multiple accounts to give a +1 and then disappearing, or a user doing the same tricks to oppose a suggestion the following requirements have been put in place for a vote to be counted:

the poster must have been a member of boards.ie for more than 3 months. Users less than 3 months old have not had enough time to explore boards or get a feel for how the community works.

the poster must have over 50 posts. If you have less than 50 then you have not really contributed to or participated in the boards.ie community and it would be unfair to give that user an equal say in how the community evolves.

3. If the final tally ( votes in favour - votes against ) is greater than +18 then the forum will be considered popular enough for consideration.

Procedure for Consideration:

Once a forum is accepted for consideration it will be discussed in two or three stages.

Admins:
    the admins will discuss the forum and try to determine if
    a: there is any policy that may prevent the forum creation
    b: potential issues regarding legality and atmosphere of boards.ie
    c: Alternatives that ultimately achieve the same end

Cmods:
    a: Which category the forum belongs in.
    b: forum or sub-forum
    c: potential mods (if a forum) , new mods/existing mods for a sub-forum
    d: anything overlooked by admins

Mods:
    a: if a sub-forum, what lines mark the sub-forum content from main forum content
    b: charter and modding issues
    c: future pitfalls / possible issues
    d: anything overlooked by admins or cmods.

Each of these stages will last a maximum of a week (though discussion may be shorter in some instances)

Once the discussion stage is complete the forum request thread will be updated to indicate if the request was accepted or rejected. The tag will be changed to reflect this status and the thread will be moved to the sub-forum for requests decided. A redirect to will be left in the main forum for 1 week after the move.

If rejected a synopsis of the discussion leading up to the rejection will be posted in the thread.

Reconsideration after rejection due to failing to get enough votes

We have a 6 week window for forum requests to get votes. If the submission fails to get enough votes it can not be resubmitted for a time period determined by how many votes the original got (more is better):

For those with > 15 +1 responses, requests can be resubmitted after (6 weeks + 2 months) from the post date of the original request
    For those with > 10 +1 responses, requests can be resubmitted after (6 weeks + 4 months) from the post date of the original request
    For those with > 7 +1 responses, requests can be resubmitted after (6 weeks + 6 months) from the post date of the original request

There is no option for discussion of a decision once it is made. This is not to say that if asked the admins wont clarify or expand on a decision but we know well that some users will never accept that a forum they feel strongly about was rejected and arguments over a decision could go on for a very very long time.

Discussion: while discussion is permitted it must be limited to the creation of the forum or aspects of the forum. this is not a social forum like others on boards.ie, this is for discussion of Forum requests ONLY. Any "off topic" discussion will be deleted and the poster may be banned from the forum requests forum.

Abuse: Personal abuse will not be tolerated and will lead to a ban without warning.

Trolling: As usual, trolling will not be tolerated. Posters must be aware that those requesting forums most likely feel quite strongly about the subject matter. This forum is not for your opinion on the subject but instead on the need for a forum dedicated to it. Posts attacking the subject matter will be deemed trolling.

When submitting a forum idea please try to take the above process into consideration. have a look at the charters of similar forums and see if you can include what form you think the charter of the proposed forum would take (you can leave out the bits dealing with trolling / abuse etc) as this will give supporters/admins/cmods/mods a better understandign of what exactly it is you are trying to suggest.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056317945

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

19 people posted positive, over to the gods to wave their wand of creation.............

What's the story with this? Any movement?

I don't know what the story is - it passed in terms of votes and the amount of time etc and it was to be put to admins to decide or something... I bumped the thread a while back to ask what was happening and no reply - there must be a few people somewhere seriously contemplating this bold move on our humble electronic forum.

Were we supposed to bribe someone or something?.......or maybe the powers that be just take their roles incredibly seriously.

Yeah dunno... really thought we'd be banging away by now with new releases!

Advertisement