Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCD planning gig in Galway?

Options
  • 16-02-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

In the Advertiser today on page 78 there is a planning notice from MCD Productions for a "entertainment event featuring musical performances" in Terryland park on Sat 9th & Sun 10th June 2012.

Anybody hear anything about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

About time Galway city got a proper festival..Fingers crossed it'll be a decent Rock Festival for a change. Pearl Jam and Biffy Clyro please :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

---
    Misread the location as terryland forest park *L*

Suppose the capacity will play a part in how big of a name they can attract.

I think there's seating for around 3,000 with a match day capacity round the 5,000 mark.

Using the pitch they should be able to get it up round 7,000.

The problem with Pearse Stadium was that the locals didn't want any acts that could attract troublemakers to the area, so we may see somebody more mainstream since it's Terryland.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Suppose the capacity will play a part in how big of a name they can attract.

I think there's seating for around 3,000 with a match day capacity round the 5,000 mark.

Using the pitch they should be able to get it up round 7,000.

The problem with Pearse Stadium was that the locals didn't want any acts that could attract troublemakers to the area, so we may see somebody more mainstream since it's Terryland.

It says 15,000 but not sure is that per night or over the 2 days.

xtradel wrote: »
    It says 15,000 but not sure is that per night or over the 2 days.

Would be two days, 7,000 X2= 14,000 so I was 500 off.

With just 3,000 seats there's no way you'd get another 12,000 standing as the space is limited behind each goal( no room in front of old stand since it's ground level, and marginal space in front of the new stand) and you also have to remove one end to accommodate the stage etc...

Actually didn't notice the two day thing until I re-read, I don't think you'd get many top acts playing to 15,000 over two days.
    Would have had more hope if it was a one off gig, then again it could be one decent act playing two nights which would hint at a decent draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Pearl Jam and Biffy Clyro please :D

I would cream my pants if this were true! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I have fond memories of Radiohead in Castlegar hurling pitch many years ago.

Fond, memories. No Westlife like sh1te this time puh-lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

ciano1 wrote: »
    I would cream my pants if this were true! :D

I'd cream your pants if Pearl Jam were to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shanemangan

Is this during the Volvo Ocean Race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Is this during the Volvo Ocean Race?

No that's not until 30th June, I'd assume the capacity is gonna be 15,000 per day? Wouldn't be making much use of the pitch if it was only half that. I vaguely recall them trying to do a gig in Terryland before, didn't go ahead for whatever reason.

• Advertisement

I'd cream your pants if Pearl Jam were to play.

lol well if they don't you guys can join me at the Isle of White festival where Pearl Jam Headline and Biffy support :D

Predalien wrote: »
    No that's not until 30th June, I'd assume the capacity is gonna be 15,000 per day? Wouldn't be making much use of the pitch if it was only half that. I vaguely recall them trying to do a gig in Terryland before, didn't go ahead for whatever reason.

How could you get 12,00 onto the pitch?.
    For health and safety reasons alone I couldn't see the capacity trebled on it's match day limit of 5,000.

Considering it's two days, which means separate tickets they're most likely referring to the 15,000 as the total figure.

I couldn't see 12,000 fitting on the pitch and the surroundings, the stage alone will take a portion of the pitch and 4,000 added to the seating seems a more plausible figure

How could you get 12,00 onto the pitch?.
    For health and safety reasons alone I couldn't see the capacity trebled on it's match day limit of 5,000.

Considering it's two days, which means separate tickets they're most likely referring to the 15,000 as the total figure.

I couldn't see 12,000 fitting on the pitch and the surroundings, the stage alone will take a portion of the pitch and 4,000 added to the seating seems a more plausible figure

I'm no expert in these things, but when Bob Dylan played Pearse stadium there were 20,000 standing on the pitch and 8,000 seats, I know a GAA pitch is bigger than a soccer one but I'd kinda hope it's bigger than 7,000, means bigger potential acts. You're probably right on the health and safety grounds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Predalien wrote: »
    I'm no expert in these things, but when Bob Dylan played Pearse stadium there were 20,000 standing on the pitch and 8,000 seats, I know a GAA pitch is bigger than a soccer one but I'd kinda hope it's bigger than 7,000, means bigger potential acts. You're probably right on the health and safety grounds though.
    Not a notion of getting 15000 into Terryland, GAA pitch is bigger as you said and they also had almost three times the seating. I would be guessing it will be some kind of mid level/middle of the road type band or bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

lol well if they don't you guys can join me at the Isle of White festival where Pearl Jam Headline and Biffy support :D

Manchester night 2 mysef! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Here comes my predictions. Damien Dempsey, The Saw Doctors and Olly Murs.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Olly Murs.
    Shudder !!! :eek:

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Here comes my predictions. Damien Dempsey, The Saw Doctors and Olly Murs.

Throw Imelda May in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

I heard it is Ash and Ocean Colour Scene supported by Muse.

yeehaw wrote: »

First two are plausible

MUSE supporting though? :eek:...... They headline major festivals and could sell out a massive solo gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Is it 1997 the concert is being held in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

First two are plausible

MUSE supporting though? :eek:...... They headline major festivals and could sell out a massive solo gig.

sarcasm_detector_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

yeehaw is only taking the piss, that was the lineup for the Heineken Green Energy gig in 2001. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1748

Should be interesting all the same, Ireland has so many festivals now but none in Galway unless you count the overpriced travesty that is the Galway Arts Festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

The town will be alive with mayos if muck like pearl jam are allowed to play.

I'll bet it will be some ****e like Snow Patrol with David Gray, the coronas and the stunning/the walls playing support.

off with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

McTigs wrote: »

I'll bet it will be some ****e like Snow Patrol with David Gray, the coronas and the stunning/the walls playing support.

Sadly, you're probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The next step is for people to scan the touring schedules to see who could conveniently fit in a Galway gig. I hope that it works out & becomes an annual fixture.

It's a pity that during the boom someone didn't build a multifunction exhibition/conference/sports/ gig facility. There are some in the UK that have removable partitions that allow you to open up a big space for gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

off with it!

I've heard it is a festival of bands that are so obscure that you won't have heard of any of them, being from a small city on the very periphery of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

off with it!

I see what you did there...! :pac: Linky

off with it!

Get Back to the Blue Note McTigs !!
    But you're probably right. No Doubt we'll have the Hobbit Paddy Casey headlining and The Walls Supporting. With a late addition of everyone's favorite Sharon Shannon. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

off with it!

Great to see there aren't too many paranoid 'Mayos' on boards. You'd be lynched in certain Galway offices if you dared to utter such words.

Advertisement