Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCD planning gig in Galway?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

celty wrote: »
    Great to see there aren't too many paranoid 'Mayos' on boards. You'd be lynched in certain Galway offices if you dared to utter such words.
    I'm in a office full of them myself

open plan too, i like to live on the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Pearl Jam sold out 2 x 21,000 tickets in Manchester this summer in 20 minutes. And 2 years ago sold out the Point in 6 minutes and the Odyssey in 30.

I cannot see the appeal from MCD of Terryland Park.

I reckon it’ll be Coronas, Bressie, Sharon Shannon and one mediocre UK act like Plan B or Ed Sheeran.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Pearl Jam sold out 2 x 21,000 tickets in Manchester this summer in 20 minutes. And 2 years ago sold out the Point in 6 minutes and the Odyssey in 30.

I reckon it’ll be Coronas, Bressie, Sharon Shannon and one mediocre UK act like Plan B or Ed Sheeran.

Nail.On.Head.

Utter shyte.

Oh & €65 tickets minimum & over at 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I can. As other have pointed out Pearse is hopeless. MCD know that Galway is big enough & attracts a lot of summer visitors. The club is desperate for money so it a no lose provided that MCD get some quality acts to sell enough tickets. I wonder if the club approached MCD first ?

My concern is that they may view us as being so starved of big gigs that we will go for anything.
    barryd09 wrote: »
    & over at 10pm

You forgot bar closing at 6pm :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Discodog wrote: »
    I can. As other have pointed out Pearse is hopeless. MCD know that Galway is big enough & attracts a lot of summer visitors. The club is desperate for money so it a no lose provided that MCD get some quality acts to sell enough tickets. I wonder if the club approached MCD first ?

My concern is that they may view us as being so starved of big gigs that we will go for anything.

You forgot bar closing at 6pm :eek:

I meant regards a big act like Pearl Jam when they can get more revenue playing them else where.

Galway is hopeless at major gigs. Bryan Adams was empty, so was Bob Dylan, the Eagles cancelled due to lack of sales for ****s sake.

• Advertisement

Galway is hopeless at major gigs. Bryan Adams was empty, so was Bob Dylan, the Eagles cancelled due to lack of sales for ****s sake.

Hardly surprising - none of those appeal to the majority of the Galway population. It is a young city not a retirement home. I love Festivals & travel to them but I wouldn't go 10 miles to see any of those three.

I've just had a horrific thought ..........Jedward :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

The lark in the park :D did that actually happen?

Timing is everything in a recession. A lot of people will already be deciding if they can afford Oxy or EP.

yup!

my teenage self was there the year the waterboys did surprise headline. i'm still so proud to be able to say "i was there"

it was a simpler time

Discodog wrote: »
    Timing is everything in a recession. A lot of people will already be deciding if they can afford Oxy or EP.
    no oxy this year so mcd are probably looking to pick up some of the slack without having to provide camping.

way less hassle for them, get all those kids down to galway foir a mad sesh but no responsibility to keep them alive once to music finishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

McTigs wrote: »
    yup!

my teenage self was there the year the waterboys did surprise headline. i'm still so proud to be able to say "i was there"

it was a simpler time

I was there too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqLEluPDy7A

McTigs wrote: »
    no oxy this year so mcd are probably looking to pick up some of the slack without having to provide camping.

Of course - I had forgotten about that. Wonder if EP tickets will sell well with no Oxy - we don't need the little scumbags there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Paddyfield wrote: »

Where is that? Salthill Park? Back in the day when Galway used to have a summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

Tony Fenton just said that "The Waterboys" will be doing a big gig in Galway around June.
    Better than any new pop X factor Chart stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭squonk

That sounds alright.... and it's still a proper Galway gig because Sharon Shannon gets thrown in too :D

They won't be getting my €70 to see the Waterboys. The risks are that the young won't have heard of them & the oldies will of seen them loads of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

coleria wrote: »
    Tony Fenton just said that "The Waterboys" will be doing a big gig in Galway around June.

Saw them in the Radisson only about three years ago. Still a brilliant live band!

coleria wrote: »
    reckon they'd be a volvo live stage gig, they'd hardly headline terryland.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

I actually never thought of the volvo, thats in June too, even better, free outdoor by the water, waterboys gig, cool, :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Can't seem to find any confirmation of what acts are playing as yet. Grrr.

• Advertisement

Technically no.

Yes there was that one in Salthill Park listed below, but there was meant to be one in Terryland maybe 6-8years ago that was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭squonk

Lisa Hannigan said she'd be back in Galway soon at the end of her gig last night. She said there was something being announced today, so maybe the Terryland park gig? Some people around me were saying it's the Arts Festival but my money is on Terryland.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Announcing our first festival music artists for the Festival Big Top this Summer - James Vincent McMorrow, Lisa Hannigan and The Coronas. Tickets available from galwayartsfestival.com and roisindubh.net while a limited number of Early Bird tickets are available for both shows (The Coronas €27 and James Vincent McMorrow/Lisa Hannigan €30) through galwayartsfestival.com - Bring on the Summer!

GAF just announced Lisa Hannigan....

Source...(from their facebook and twitter, website not updated yet):

http://www.facebook.com/galwayartsfestival/posts/10151360261685082

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

aw wrote: »
    GAF just announced Lisa Hannigan....

Source...(from their facebook and twitter, website not updated yet):

http://www.facebook.com/galwayartsfestival/posts/10151360261685082

average at best!
    the cheek of the arts festival charging 27€ and 30€ for these bands that tour regularly in Galway for half that money easy!
    count me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

I heard today that Aslan & Kaiser Chiefs are to play in Terryland. A similar gig is already on sale for Tallaght Stadium in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I heard today that Aslan & Kaiser Chiefs are to play in Terryland. A similar gig is already on sale for Tallaght Stadium in June.

sounds horrific tbh

I initially read that as ''Kasabian'' thinking it was odd they were the support....that would have been nice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Unlikely I would have thought seeing as the Tallaght gig is three weeks later (no efficiencies from co-scheduling) and is being promoted by another promoter, not MCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

Kaiser Chiefs are actually a suprisingly good live band, wouldn't cross the road to see Aslan though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

I predict a riot

Advertisement