Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCD planning gig in Galway?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Shakti wrote: »
    I predict a riot

I predict "Crazy world" being sung three times as filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Dont care less it's all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Unlikely I would have thought seeing as the Tallaght gig is three weeks later (no efficiencies from co-scheduling) and is being promoted by another promoter, not MCD.

Good points.

MCD are not saying a word about this, presumably until all the planning issues are out of the way.

There is no way they'd feature artists who are being put on by another promoter.

Also, have to say I'm disappointed by the GAF line-up so far, as they are virtually ALL bands who you can see throughout the year in the Roisin Dubh. But it's early days yet ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

celty wrote: »
    Also, have to say I'm disappointed by the GAF line-up so far, as they are virtually ALL bands who you can see throughout the year in the Roisin Dubh. But it's early days yet ....
    GAF music line up is always ****e.

This year is just in keeping with tradition

mikom wrote: »
    I predict "Crazy world" being sung three times as filler.
    Shakti wrote: »
    Dont care less it's all the same

These are the posts of a tired man....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

mikom wrote: »
    These are the posts of a tired man....

I dont care less its all the same

I dont care less its all the same

Too late.........
    for Hallelujah

• Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭squonk

I hope the GAF music lineup improves. I won't be standing in the big top to see Lisa Hannigan. It wouldn't be half the gig a Roisin gig would be seeing as the place is smaller. James Vincent... not a chance. Moany cnut. Coronas, sure you'd nearly see them any night of the week here already! Lets hope the next gig announcements will be more exciting!

squonk wrote: »
    I hope the GAF music lineup improves. I won't be standing in the big top to see Lisa Hannigan. It wouldn't be half the gig a Roisin gig would be seeing as the place is smaller. James Vincent... not a chance. Moany cnut. Coronas, sure you'd nearly see them any night of the week here already! Lets hope the next gig announcements will be more exciting!
    Yeah, you never know what they'll pull out of the hat!

David Gray maybe? no no no.....ah UB40? no no no no, i know, um, Simple Minds! or how about Blondie.... again.... or why not wheel out Paddy Casey?

The GAF music lineup is always ****, always was **** and, i imagine, will forevermore be ****

No imagination, no clue, no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

McTigs wrote: »
    Yeah, you never know what they'll pull out of the hat!

David Gray maybe? no no no.....ah UB40? no no no no, i know, um, Simple Minds! or how about Blondie.... again.... or why not wheel out Paddy Casey?

The GAF music lineup is always ****, always was **** and, i imagine, will forevermore be ****

No imagination, no clue, no interest.
    Not always. Four of the best gigs I've ever been to have been Arts Festival gigs.

1989 The Waterboys in the Fisheries Field
    1994 Any White & Liam O'Maonlaoi in Roisin Dubh and David Gray (touring his first album) in the Warwick
    1996 Radiohead (touring The Bends) in Castlegar Sportsground with The Divine Comedy, Neneh Cherry and The Cardigans.

• Advertisement

1996 Radiohead (touring The Bends) in Castlegar Sportsground with The Divine Comedy, Neneh Cherry and The Cardigans.
    was that a GAf gig? My apologies, didn't know that. Was there too, great day out in spite of the rain.

but in fairness the other gigs you mentioned were both about 20 years ago.... i just feel since then the Galway Arts Festival has lost a lot of it's imaginination and spark.

I can also never understand how tickets to events be they for theatre, music or whatever tend to be so expensive when they are part of the festival that enjoys so much corporate and personal sponsorship. Surely sponsorship would go towards subsidising the event costs thus reducing ticket prices but the opposite appears to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Lavdogg

Just had a quick look at the MCD site, Tom Petty is playing in cork on the Thursday, so there is a small possibility that he might might make the trip up to terryland. My moneys on Imelda May tho she hasn't played here in awhile and she would appeal to alot of people.

Really hope that the GAF pulls something outta the bag, Seems to be the same acts revisiting every couple of years, I would complain if Bon Iver came back tho!

Not always. Four of the best gigs I've ever been to have been Arts Festival gigs.

1989 The Waterboys in the Fisheries Field
    1994 Any White & Liam O'Maonlaoi in Roisin Dubh and David Gray (touring his first album) in the Warwick

I remember the Radiohead gig at Castlegar, great gig. Also seem to remember Pulp (?) playing there around the same time, but they were overshadowed by a brilliant set by the Beastie Boys.

Happy Mondays at the Big Top in 1999 was another favourite.

Would agree with some posters that the music line-up has become stale, although I actually thought 2011 was way better than the last five or six years (Afrocubism, De La Soul, even Blondie, who were better than the previous gig, and even Bell X1 who are solid enough live).

Lavdogg wrote: »
    Just had a quick look at the MCD site, Tom Petty is playing in cork on the Thursday, so there is a small possibility that he might might make the trip up to terryland. My moneys on Imelda May tho she hasn't played here in awhile and she would appeal to alot of people.

Really hope that the GAF pulls something outta the bag, Seems to be the same acts revisiting every couple of years, I would complain if Bon Iver came back tho!

Tom Petty would be great I'd imagine. At least he doesn't play the Roisin every six months, unlike the acts confirmed so far for the GAF.

I was at the Ash & Dandy Warhols gig in the big top a few years ago and that was brilliant! But I can see GAF just getting to another Irish group and maybe an another 80's act to keep the auld ones happy!

Forgetting about the Volvo too that could be interesting, it should be alot bigger this time round, ya never know who they might get abu dhabi had coldplay! No doubt sharon shannon or aslan will be making an apperance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 paulio84

jedward are playing the 2 nights!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭squonk

paulio84 wrote: »

I really hope you're taking the piss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Anyone have any update on this? Surprised nothing has been announced, it's not that far away from the proposed dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

paulio84 wrote: »
    squonk wrote: »
    I really hope you're taking the piss!
    Had to check.
    According to their website they're not www.planetjedward.net/events.php

biko wrote: »
    Had to check.
    According to their website they're not www.planetjedward.net/events.php

Thank God for that Biko. I'm desperately looking for reasons NOT to emigrate ... and I think those little twats Jedward playing two nights in Galway would be the final straw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

celty wrote: »
    Thank God for that Biko. I'm desperately looking for reasons NOT to emigrate ... and I think those little twats Jedward playing two nights in Galway would be the final straw.

This post has inspired me to create a petition asking Jedward to play at least 2 nights in a row in Galway... link to follow

yeehaw wrote: »
    This post has inspired me to create a petition asking Jedward to play at least 2 nights in a row in Galway... link to follow

Is that because you owe me 100eu from a previous Galway United post re attendances? :D

I suppose, at least Jedward might fill Terryland with teenyboppers :)

Galway News are reporting on Facebook that Mumford and Sons are to play Salthill Park on June the 9th.

Seeing as that was one or the two days listed, maybe this is the event with some adjustments.

Can't see how you could pull of a paying gig in the Park though, with Public Access both sides and it being so central you could just as easily watch for free? :confused:

Galway News are reporting on Facebook that Mumford and Sons are to play Salthill Park on June the 9th.

Cool.
    I love hearing the same song played 20 times.

It seems strange that they'd go to all the trouble of applying to the City Council for a permit to have a gig in Terryland ... and then put one on in Salthill Park instead.

The logistics of Salthill Park would be a nightmare in terms of keeping 'freeloaders' out. Presumably they'd have to put up big screens or barriers.

I still think there's an announcement due from MCD re Terryland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Link from the gn website
    A Galway City Councillor says plans are underway to stage a 15,000 capacity concert in Galway, which could be a big boost to the City's economy.
    Councillor Michael Crowe
    says talks are at an advanced stage to bring well-known international band Mumford and Sons to Galway.

Their debut album Sigh No More has sold millions of copies around the world, and reached the number 1 spot here in Ireland.
    Councillor Crowe
    says the plan is for the concert to take place at Salthill Park on June 9th.

He says it's almost a certainty the event will go ahead and it will bring a big boost to the City

This looks like a good idea to start ramping up the festival atmosphere for the VOR arrival 3 weeks later.

Name blacked out so that we don't get side tracked by the usual rubbish when certain city councilors are mentioned.

Good stuff, I'm guessing they realised having anything on the 10th was a bad idea because of the football, realistically a one day thing has a better chance of good sales anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Predalien wrote: »
    Good stuff, I'm guessing they realised having anything on the 10th was a bad idea because of the football, realistically a one day thing has a better chance of good sales anyway.

I'd say it has more to do with it being a Saturday than the soccer.

antoobrien wrote: »
    I'd say it has more to do with it being a Saturday than the soccer.

Original planning application was for a two day event on the Saturday and Sunday, I'd say scaling it back to just one day (Saturday) was partially down to the fact that scheduling anything on the Sunday would have been commercially disastrous.

• Advertisement

That would be some gig, pity im in poland for it!:)

Advertisement