Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCD planning gig in Galway?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Predalien wrote: »
    Original planning application was for a two day event on the Saturday and Sunday, I'd say scaling it back to just one day (Saturday) was partially down to the fact that scheduling anything on the Sunday would have been commercially disastrous.

In fairness, there's not too many major concerts held in Galway on a Sunday. Westlife & the like were all on a Saturday. I can't remember too many big Sunday concerts at all, so that'd be a concern for planning permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

antoobrien wrote: »
    In fairness, there's not too many major concerts held in Galway on a Sunday. Westlife & the like were all on a Saturday. I can't remember too many big Sunday concerts at all, so that'd be a concern for planning permission.

I wasn't trying to start an argument, especially a pointless one, I just believe anyone in event planning would be foolish to organise a big event in a small city clashing with the biggest sporting occasion of the year, so was surprised the original plan for a two-day event clashed with Ireland's first football match in a major tournament for ten years, I'm sure consideration was given to the game and was a factor in the decision to only stage a one day thing (there were probably other factors too, line up etc.)

Oh and Bob Dylan was a Sunday.

Predalien wrote: »

Oh and Bob Dylan was a Sunday.

he played galway? fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

celty wrote: »
    Is that because you owe me 100eu from a previous Galway United post re attendances? :D

I suppose, at least Jedward might fill Terryland with teenyboppers :)

We will settle that bet at the end of the season when all the figures are in. Settlement has to be based on official attendance, or wherever the Galway Rovers attendances mentioned in that thread came from, not 'my friend's Da said there were only 2 lads there so 'they' are liars!!'

Also, it was a oner to the nominated charity selected by the winner, not to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Front page in the Galway Advertiser says Mumford and Sons will headline a gig in Salthill Park in June....Not sure if it is MCD that will be organising it or not. Its odd they they have mentioned Mumford and Sons without them been actually confirmed. Anyway, I'd keep my money in my pocket unless they gota couple of decent bands on the bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Looks like they've abandoned Terryland in favour of Salthill Park as it's the same promoters. Perhaps the Salthill venue is bigger or more suitable. They'll have a lot of work to do to block it off from 'freeloaders'.

They went for a two day licence for Terryland (June 9 and 10), but probably forgot that Ireland are playing Croatia in the first game of the Euros on the 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Salthill Park would be great on a sunny day but a nightmare in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I have fond memories of Radiohead in Castlegar hurling pitch many years ago.

Fond, memories. No Westlife like sh1te this time puh-lease.

I have that radiohead concert on tape at home, sounds class. Im nearly a 100% i can hear my mates shouting at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

yeehaw wrote: »
    We will settle that bet at the end of the season when all the figures are in. Settlement has to be based on official attendance, or wherever the Galway Rovers attendances mentioned in that thread came from, not 'my friend's Da said there were only 2 lads there so 'they' are liars!!'
    Based on the last few figures they'd need about 40,000 people to turn up on the final game then!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

As per Music Forum report...

Mumford & Sons are pleased to announce details of a series of ‘Gentlemen of the Road Stopover…’ shows this Summer. The one-day, outdoor events will tour globally and will come to Salthill Park, Salthill, Galway on Saturday 9th June.

The show will be headlined by Mumford & Sons, and will feature full bills of support acts curated by the band themselves. The Vaccines, Willy Mason, Zulu Winter, Nathaniel Rateliff, The Correspondents have all been confirmed for the Galway Show.

Mumford & Sons said: “The Gentlemen of the Road Stopover is based loosely upon our favourite festivals like Colorado’s Telluride Bluegrass and Scotland's Loopallu Festivals. We want to stop off in towns not usually heavily toured by bands, and celebrate the people, food and music that inhabit them.

We’re keen to promote the town’s local businesses, and we’ll be using the local bars and venues for aftershow parties, whilst working closely with the local people to get everyone involved in making these shows spectacular. There will be a host of our friends playing too, and the vibe falls somewhere between ‘travelling Victorian circus’ and ‘Victorian travelling circus’. It should be a whole lot of fun.”

All of the Gentlemen of the Road Stopover shows will heavily involve the local communities, from the produce sold on the sites, to engaging visitors with the towns as a whole.

The band will also play a series of evening gigs preceding and between the Stopover shows, with the support acts selected from the Summer show line-ups.

Gentlemen of The Road Presents:
    9th June – Gentlemen of the Road Stopover, Salthill Park, Salthill In Galway.

Mumford & Sons
    +
    The Vaccines, Willy Mason, Zulu Winter,
    Nathaniel Rateliff, The Correspondents

Tickets for all dates will go onsale through Musicglue.com and local outlets from 9am on the 21st April.

Tickets from €49.50. (inclusive of booking)
    This show is subject to license

For more information and to keep abreast of more events to be announced please visit: www.gentlemenoftheroad.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

aw wrote: »
    As per Music Forum report...

Mumford & Sons are pleased to announce details of a series of ‘Gentlemen of the Road Stopover…’ shows this Summer. The one-day, outdoor events will tour globally and will come to Salthill Park, Salthill, Galway on Saturday 9th June.

The show will be headlined by Mumford & Sons, and will feature full bills of support acts curated by the band themselves. The Vaccines, Willy Mason, Zulu Winter, Nathaniel Rateliff, The Correspondents have all been confirmed for the Galway Show.

Mumford & Sons said: “The Gentlemen of the Road Stopover is based loosely upon our favourite festivals like Colorado’s Telluride Bluegrass and Scotland's Loopallu Festivals. We want to stop off in towns not usually heavily toured by bands, and celebrate the people, food and music that inhabit them.

We’re keen to promote the town’s local businesses, and we’ll be using the local bars and venues for aftershow parties, whilst working closely with the local people to get everyone involved in making these shows spectacular. There will be a host of our friends playing too, and the vibe falls somewhere between ‘travelling Victorian circus’ and ‘Victorian travelling circus’. It should be a whole lot of fun.”

All of the Gentlemen of the Road Stopover shows will heavily involve the local communities, from the produce sold on the sites, to engaging visitors with the towns as a whole.

The band will also play a series of evening gigs preceding and between the Stopover shows, with the support acts selected from the Summer show line-ups.

Gentlemen of The Road Presents:
    9th June – Gentlemen of the Road Stopover, Salthill Park, Salthill In Galway.

Mumford & Sons
    +
    The Vaccines, Willy Mason, Zulu Winter,
    Nathaniel Rateliff, The Correspondents

Tickets for all dates will go onsale through Musicglue.com and local outlets from 9am on the 21st April.

Tickets from €49.50. (inclusive of booking)
    This show is subject to license

For more information and to keep abreast of more events to be announced please visit: www.gentlemenoftheroad.com

50 euro for a gig headlined by Mumford and Sons. What a slap in the face

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The corresponding show in the UK at Huddersfield is £50 so about €60 so one could argue that we are at least cheaper than the UK for once.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

50 euro for a nice gig in the city? Not seeing a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

€50 for a headliner and five supports in your backyard? Not too shabby at all really.

Still won't be going though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Mars Bar wrote: »
    €50 for a headliner and five supports in your backyard? Not too shabby at all really.

Still won't be going though...
    two heard of band and 3 unknowns hardly value for money!

seanin4711 wrote: »
    two heard of band and 3 unknowns hardly value for money!

They're support bands. You can't expect to know them all. Seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Mars Bar wrote: »
    They're support bands. You can't expect to know them all. Seriously...

seriously what?
    put together at the last minute with the typical after thought of "sure they will come from all around for this" as there is feck all good gigs in galway!

I would go to the vaccines myself but the rest, na!
    50 quid is 50 quid.
    IMHO opinion I don't think it represents value!
    your entitled to your opinion.

You're getting to see six bands so that's about €8 a band. It's also in your own back yard so you don't have the added cost of accommodation which is a nice change for us stranded in the west.

I think that's fairly good value.

Now wait and see the price of food and drink sold on the day be hiked! That's where the rip off will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

Im interested in taking my godson to this as he's a big fan. I see that tickets go on sale on Saturday morning at 9 online and in local outlets. Does anyone have any ideas what the local outlets will be, be handier for myself just to buy them in town. Would ticketmaster be selling them?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

User Named wrote: »
    Im interested in taking my godson to this as he's a big fan. I see that tickets go on sale on Saturday morning at 9 online and in local outlets. Does anyone have any ideas what the local outlets will be, be handier for myself just to buy them in town. Would ticketmaster be selling them?

Can't imagine Mumford and Sons would sell out instantly, if at all. I'm sure you could pop into the ticketmaster at OMG, the 'liquidation' shop which used to be Zhivagos, later in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Dougal McGuire

do any of ye know if Musicglue.com accept laser cards?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is this the type of music that the good burghers of Salthill would normally treat their aural receptors to?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

snubbleste wrote: »
    Is this the type of music that the good burghers of Salthill would normally treat their aural receptors to?

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

snubbleste wrote: »
    Is this the type of music that the good burgers of Salthill would normally treat their aural receptors to?

Dont know, but Salthill Fish and Chips, Salt n Pepper and Supermacs wont be complaining.

(See what I done there?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

From the site;

GALWAY'S FAMOUS BUSTLING MARKET HAS BEEN TRADING IN CHURCH LANE BY ST NICHOLAS' CHURCH IN THE CENTRE OF THE CITY FOR LITERALLY CENTURIES. YOU WILL FIND HUNDREDS OF STALLS

Hundreds you say...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

xtradel wrote: »
    In the Advertiser today on page 78 there is a planning notice from MCD Productions for a "entertainment event featuring musical performances" in Terryland park on Sat 9th & Sun 10th June 2012.

Anybody hear anything about this?

But they're playing in Salthill, is the specific area called Terryland park or what? I thought it was the football stadium....

dinneenp wrote: »
    But they're playing in Salthill, is the specific area called Terryland park or what? I thought it was the football stadium....

Terryland Park (soon to be named after Chick Deacy) is the football ground. The original proposal was for the concert to be in Terryland, but it got moved to Salthill.

IIRC the park in Salthill is called Rockbarton Park (open to correction).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Is rockbarton park an "estate" of houses.

is it not called Salthill Park?

also open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 13,154 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Are we talkin about the green area beside Leisureland? Bit cramped for a pay concert isn't it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement