Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People with no control over their dogs

• 16-02-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

I was walking in the Phoenix Park yesterday afternoon with my little fella on lead - through experience I have learned not to trust his re-call 100% so apart from dog parks it's leash only for him until he comes when called every time. Approaching me in the distance was an older man with 2 JRT's off lead who bounded up to mine and started attacking him from both sides - I had to kick them off and pick up my guy while they continued to jump up on me to get at my dog. The man called and called but his dogs completley ignored him. On the return stretch of the walk I saw a couple out walking with their border collie - the dog took off and started herding the deer - and no amount of calling got him to come back - he chased them for a solid 10 mins before the owner finally caught up with him to put him on lead.
    I find it very annoying when I don't allow my own dog to run freely that others have no qualms about it even when they have no control over what their dogs do - I now dread to see an off lead dog 'cos I have no trust that the person with them has any control over them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you have an issue, then report it to the local dog warden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

The park rangers are always around, as far as I know there are only certain times of the year (fawning season) that people are required to keep their dogs on leash at all times.

That said I could be wrong so stop one of the wardens next time you are there or even call them and ask them to find out what restrictions are in place. I'm pretty sure someone's dog chasing the deer is absolutely not something they would be happy with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

SonOfAdam wrote: »
    I find it very annoying when I don't allow my own dog to run freely that others have no qualms about it even when they have no control over what their dogs do - I now dread to see an off lead dog 'cos I have no trust that the person with them has any control over them.
    Me too. There's only one of mine I'll let off if not completely enclosed, and the other one is put back on lead when I see another dog approaching even though I'm 100% that she'd ignore them because I think it's only manners.

Phoenix Park is dreadful for people with out of control dogs; there always seems to be at least one dog hassling the deer. Last time I was there a my friends and I put our dogs back on lead and started walking away from a man with a hyper spaniel, and he threw the dog's ball right in the middle of us. Some people have no cop-on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭SonOfAdam

The issue is not dogs being off lead it's the lack of control the owner has over them. There were many other off lead dogs and it wasn't an issue, they went back to the owner when called - I would love to let my fella off also but I can't guarantee he'll come back every time so he stays on lead.
    I wish others would do the same as it's obvious they are not as in control as they think they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

It's a total nightmare, IME its those that are off lead, not at heel that produce the most amount of uncollected crap. As for those that think that its ok to leave it on the grass, no its not ok, kids play on the grass and in my local park there is trails beside the paths from people making use of ground with more give than tarmac.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'm sorry but you've reminded me of Fenton again:D
    (if you don't know, youtube it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

planetX wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you've reminded me of Fenton again:D
    (if you don't know, youtube it)

Was thinking the exact same thing reading through this thread ;)

FEEEENTONNN

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭SonOfAdam

^^ It looked quite like that actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

fenton is on the t mobile ad now too:D

I know your frustration OP, we have pain in the *ss neighbours near us and the other day I found their dogs trying to attack mine:mad:. Keeping their dogs under control is just not on the radar for some people.

Advertisement