Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing power switch emachines 620 pc

Options
  • 16-02-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

i have a emachines model 620 desktop tower pc dual core celeron 2.8 ghz.
    the power switch has been removed.I need to put on a new power switch.
    theres 3 wires for the motherboard, reset, hdled, power on ,black white wires.
    reset ,hdled are green white ,red white.
    i,m not sure re the pin header motherboard layout,
    i think its like this page,
    TRIGEM imperial header diagram,
    http://www.e4allupgraders.info/dir1/ecase/support/front_panel_header_support.shtml
    ON the mobo hdled reset sw/speaker are marked
    as in diagram.
    Could i just leave hdled,reset disconnected ,and connect the power black white to a new power switch ,

i have a working emachines 320 celeron,i could remove the power switch from that,it has 6 wires going to it,hdled,reset, power.

Does anyone have info re the header pin layout on
    a emachines model pc ,especially for the black white,power wires.i,m not sure if that diagram refers to the model 620 motherboard.
    On another forum it says the model 620 uses the trigen alaska motherboard .
    wheres the best place to buy a power switch ,
    eg auto parts shop.
    id like to fix the 620 as its much faster than the 320, 320
    is single core cpu 2.8, 3 pci slots, no pci express slot.

the 320 uses a completely different mobo, has 6 wires going to the power switch.
    i presume the black, in the cable is power, white is ground ,is that corrrect.
    eg i would use pin 7,8 for power on,as in diagram above,
    7 is white, 8 is black,power.

i want to be sure before i proceed ,i dont want to damage the motherboard by connecting the wrong wires to the wrong pin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

No, you don't have to connect the HD LED switch or the reset switch.

Just follow the writing on the motherboard. Most of the time it won't do any damage if you connect them the wrong way around either - the LEDs just won't work but I think that the power switch works the same.

Power switch cables aren't a standard colour, so you can't go by that. Doing an image search, I see green and white, black and red and opening up this PC, I see orange and white! Looks like black is usually + though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Well the mobo header pins for hdled and reset ,speakers, are marked and thats all ,I,ll have to go by the diagram re connecting black ,white, power cables.
    IF i put a meter,voltage setting on the 2 pins for power ,what reading should i get?
    Thanks for the advice.

THE wires are labeled, reset, hdled , power, i did many
    image searches ,i cant find a close up image of the mobo that shows exactly where the wires go.IT seems to be a trigem alaska3 motherboard going from the info on emachines forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

riclad wrote: »
    Well the mobo header pins for hdled and reset ,speakers, are marked and thats all ,I,ll have to go by the diagram re connecting black ,white, power cables.
    IF i put a meter,voltage setting on the 2 pins for power ,what reading should i get?
    Thanks for the advice.

Just short the pins with a screw driver.
    The on switch is just a short between two pins, if you try to measure the voltage you'll probably turn it on in the process.

I got new switch, front panel, psu fitted ,added 1gig ram ddrv 2700 333 ,pc now works fine.Power CABLE= black white, black =power, white =ground,
    goes to 2 pins on the right ,end of front header row, pins nearest to pc front
    as viewed from pc front ,looking down on the mobo.
    ie last two pins after the 4 pins labeled hdled, reset , then last two extreme right ,lower row,= black,white, power sw/on/off.
    first pin on left is unused,the 4pins, 2pins each for hdled,reset

under the 2pins marked sw/speakers to be precise.
    ALL parts including ram bought from electronic recycling finglas ,the only place i know that sells parts to the public for older pcs, p4s single core celerons etc

ie i dont wanna wait a week to get a switch or ram chip from ebay
    or an online store.
    IN MY experience black or red wire= power ,white =ground in most older pcs i have worked on.
    i was just worried cos on the emachines forum theres 4 different
    motherboards mostly trigems etc with slightly different front header
    pin layouts , diagrams for each motherboard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement