Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bluetooth helicopter

• 16-02-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I was thinking about buying one of those helicopters that you can control with your iphone/ipad.

I have seen one in Compub at EUR 100...and other in bc cool gadgets at around EUR 70. Online is a bit cheaper.

Has anybody had any experience or see these working?

Thanks,
    G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

gzoladz wrote: »
    Hi all, I was thinking about buying one of those helicopters that you can control with your iphone/ipad.

I have seen one in Compub at EUR 100...and other in bc cool gadgets at around EUR 70. Online is a bit cheaper.

Has anybody had any experience or see these working?

Thanks,
    G

I've a few small electric helis and the idea of using a touchpad to control one just seems like the worst idea going. You're just not going to have the precision of physical controls, nor the feedback that helps even with something simple like a coax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I've played with an AR Drone for a while before and it was great fun but very expensive! There's cameras mounted on it that you can look at on your phone as you fly around and it's seriously easy to use.

So if the others are as easy to use, I would imagine it'd be a cool gadget!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Niall0001

Sounds cool but, as stated, I can't imagine the control would be too precise through a phone = nosedive to the ground & chopper in bits after 5 minutes use.

*edit

Found one on Amazon with 4.5 out of 5 from 28 customer reviews for £35. Surely worth a punt, especially at that price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005RWQTGU

Anyone got one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,489 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bluetooth is a relatively low-power communication protocol which is only designed to be operational up to 10m away. The Parrot AR.drone uses Wi-Fi, I've never seen any mention of a bluetooth helicopter and if one exists, it would probably be for indoor use only.

Just ordered one of the above. Will report back when it's delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Lol, you could not hold it :)

I may follow you ...

Maplin has some left for eur55. They are from a different brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have a non-iphone helicopter, good fun but battery is rubbish. This thread is making me want to get one of these, could be fun in the office :D

They have these in BCool gadgets. They are eur70. Still making up my mind if I want to through that money down the toilet.

Arrived today!!!! Have to say it's brilliant craic! & was surprised to see it comes with a controller too, not that you'll be using it as it works surprisingly well through the phone, in that you move the phone & the motion detector moves the helicopter. Only used it indoors so far due to living in an apartment complex but surprisingly easy to control & seems really well built & durable, judging by some horrendous early crashes without so much as a scratch.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

:D

• Advertisement

gzoladz wrote: »
    They have these in BCool gadgets. They are eur70. Still making up my mind if I want to through that money down the toilet.

Pick one up off Amazon for €25 cheaper, then! 3 month returns policy if you don't like it anyway. Got mine in 3 days.

So anyone else pick one up? A week later & still going strong. Really are a durable piece of kit.

Nop...I called bcool and they said they were reducedat eur 50 now, but the I did not feel I wanted to spend the money. I would love to use one for 10 minutes but I am not sure how much I would be using it after that.

I am glad you are enjoying it.

How easy is it to handle it one week after having it?

Advertisement