Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4S Mail app downloading vasts amounts of data for a few emails?

• 16-02-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Since changing my iPhone 4 for a 4S I have noticed my data usage rocket on my new iPhone 4S. At first when I noticed this I did not know what was causing it so on Monday I downloaded an app to check which apps were causing this high data usage.

My iPhone is Jailbroken but I don't think this has any bearing on my problem as the data usage was high before I jailbroke the iPhone.

On Tuesday my iPhone downloaded 15 emails from my Spamarrest mail account since midnight which totaled 264k on the Spamarrest web site. However according to the app iNetUseage the mail app downloaded 27.45MB of data since midnight!

Something is seriously wrong with these figures! How can 15 basic emails amount to 27.45MB of data, not one had an attachment!

I have read of the Mail app checking for mail in a loop which caused high upload data usage but in my case the problem is with download usage.

It would appear that a bog standard text email is using 1.75MB of data to download. - I did a test email last night where on the computer is said 3K but when I looked at the counter on the iPhone it went up by 1.75MB. Yesterday morning I downloaded 5 regular emails which added 12.8MB of data to the counter. This is not good as I am on a Vodafone plan with only 1Gig of data!

The "Push" and "Fetch" features don't seem to make a difference to the download amount!

What could be the cause of this does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,181 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i doubt its your email, something must be updating or using data in the background, are you using siri a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Cyrus wrote: »
    i doubt its your email, something must be updating or using data in the background, are you using siri a lot?
    I don't use Siri much. Anyway if I'd not Siri that is the problem. I switched off all Fetch/Push setting on my email and didn't use mail for a couple of hours. Then when I launched the Mail app when I got home it downloaded about 5 emails and suddenly my usage went up by 15MB! These emails only contained text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

atlantean wrote: »
    However according to the app iNetUseage the mail app downloaded 27.45MB of data since midnight!

think im having same issue where can i find this app cant seem to find it in the app store

spider_pig wrote: »
    think im having same issue where can i find this app cant seem to find it in the app store

iNetUsage is not in the App Store — it is a Cydia app. It gives a full breakdown of what each app uses.

inet1.jpginet2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

Silly question atlantean download this app but how do I get it to work. Can't find it on my device.

• Advertisement

wush06 wrote: »
    Silly question atlantean download this app but how do I get it to work. Can't find it on my device.
    Go to Settings and then scroll down. It should be there — just click on it and you are in ;)

Cydia says its installed but when I scroll down in settings it's not there strange.

Any ideas

Cydia says its installed but when I scroll down in settings it's not there strange.

Any ideas

I am using OS 5 — in earlier versions it may appear in Settings > Usage

I think you may have to reboot the iPhone for it to appear — not sure about this ;)

I'm 5.0.1 as well with a 4s what repo did you use.

Thanks

I can't recall — whatever came with Absinthe from GreenPois0n.

• Advertisement

If you go into cydia mange go down to I it will tell you.

Sorry for the questions did you pay for this in the cydia store.

If you go into cydia mange go down to I it will tell you.

It's not there — this is all I have...

manage.jpg

Sorry for the questions did you pay for this in the cydia store.

Yes I did.

Ok I see where my problem is. Will buy it so.
    Thanks for the help

Ok I see where my problem is. Will buy it so.
    Thanks for the help
    Not a bother ;)

Advertisement