Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General slowing down of Internet the last couple of weeks?

• 16-02-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

My internet has really started to slow down so I've been doing a bit of testing.
    I'm on Magnet 8Mb in Cork - resold eircom service.

Doing a speed test against servers in Ireland or the UK I get absolutely what I pay for.

Doing a speed test to servers out in Europe I get very acceptable speeds.

Interesting is North America, Speedtest to New York result in acceptable levels, but anywhere beyond and the rate really slows down. My d/l to Washington (state) is about 2Mb and upload just a bit over 100k. This is particularly interesting as most companies will have their main data center in Washington.

Similar problems but not as bad to other parts of the US other than the east coast.

Going east is also bad, Server in Victoria, Australia clocked me at just over 600k download. Granted, I didn't trace route this one, could have brought me over the slower north american link.

I have just done these tests now as the speed have started to annoy me and I wasn't sure if it was my operator or something else going on. I suppose I'm asking if anyone have done anything similar recently and can share their findings.
    In this case it's not really fair to be blaming the local operators as there seems to be a serious slowdown of the traffic outside of Europe at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

That's normal. Longer distance, greater possibility for errors, less speed.

Advertisement