Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in ski resorts

Options
  • 16-02-2012 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has worked in any of the ski resorts in NZ? I was just granted my 1 year WHV and plan to go in the summer (NZ Winter) so thought it would be a fun adventure for starting out on a work holiday! Anyone had any good / bad experiences? Looking at Mt Ruapehu because a friend of a friend did it last year but haven't heard much else!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

a friend worked at the skotel in national park for a few seasons and had a blast. if you're a competant skier you shouldn't have a problem getting work in one of the rental shops or on the slopes themselves. However, skiing nz style is not at all like europe- its a lot less exclusive so chalet style work or big tipping jobs in fancy restaurants/hotels is out. as far as ruapehu goes national park is the more family orientated villiage while ohakune is more for young people and partying. I would consider looking into the remarkables in the south island, around queenstown. the ski field is smaller but the snow is more consistent and the town is bigger, more fun and there are more non-skiing related pursuits around. Its also in (imho) the most beautiful part of the country. hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ais77

Thanks for the reply Rosy!

I applied to Ruapehu because my sister who lives in Auckland knew people going to work there so at least I'd know a couple of people to start off with. I haven't even looked at the South Island - just because I'll be starting off my travels in Auckland. I got an interview for Ruapehu so I'm getting excited now. I've only been skiing once before and loved it but the interview is for a sales / communication role so won't actually involve being on the slopes.

I've just been hearing from people that it's hard to get around in these resorts if you don't have your own transport. Do you know anything about that? Or what type of accomodation workers can get?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Public transport in NZ is woeful, in general, outside of the 'big' cities. To get to the slopes from the town you have to drive (as opposed to walk/ski lift like in europe). When we went I attempted this all of once and nearly lost my lunch trying to navigate through ice and a blizzard. From then on we just booked places on the shuttle bus which runs throughout the day. From memory this wasn't too cheap tho. There are a few backpackers up there as well as rental houses or some employers offer accommodation too. We rented a house when we went up there but I'd advised you to book into a dorm at first and you might meet a few people who want to share. I wouldn't organise a rental house without seeing it first as the heating and insulation is very hit or miss in nz and you might end up freezing your ar$e off for the winter. I know the skotel in national park has dorm accommodation and there are a few others.

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Castle-Frank

Hi, just wondering how you got on in New Zealand? I'm thinking about heading over in the summer and would like to get work in ski resort. Any info would be helpful, have no idea where to start!

Advertisement