Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malazan Book of the Fallen Series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm thinking of going back to the start myself. The thought of going through the arduous Chain of Dogs again is putting me off.

Yeah that's the one book I don't feel I've missed much of anything in at this stage, could skip it and just read the re-read I'd say.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

For those of you who aren't aware, "Assail" by Ian C. Esslemont was released today. It's his final book in his Malazan empire series (whose timeline ran somewhat concurrently to MBotF) and, as the name suggests, features the Assail continent. Only just started it myself so can't judge yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah that's the one book I don't feel I've missed much of anything in at this stage, could skip it and just read the re-read I'd say.

I might do that.

I do have a few odd questions about Memories of Ice if anyone fancies answering them.
    Why on earth did the alliance split up and send 2 separate armies to assault Coral when it was obvious that they were insufficient for the task. While this is happening, Trake's legion and Brood's (who doesn't seem to do anything for the entire novel aside from trying to crush Kruppe)forces hang back for some reason.

Also, I love Lady Envy.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

ixoy wrote: »
    For those of you who aren't aware, "Assail" by Ian C. Esslemont was released today. It's his final book in his Malazan empire series (whose timeline ran somewhat concurrently to MBotF) and, as the name suggests, features the Assail continent. Only just started it myself so can't judge yet.

Just bought it on kindle, thanks for heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

I'm almost finished book 9; what a series - looking forward to the Esslemont books but might take a break and read something non-fantasy first. I feel like I've been reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen forever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

ixoy wrote: »

I pre-ordered this on Amazon a couple of months back - should be with me next week - can't wait to see how he ties things up. I actually enjoyed his last couple of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So what is the story with Ian C. Esslemont exactly? Did Errickson ask him to just start writing books in the Malazan universe and for what reason? I always thought it was a bit odd...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thargor wrote: »
    So what is the story with Ian C. Esslemont exactly? Did Errickson ask him to just start writing books in the Malazan universe and for what reason? I always thought it was a bit odd...

They jointly created the world as a game world for a RPG system called GURPS. They then jointly wrote a movie script that failed to sell that was reworked somewhat into Deadhouse Gates (I think). Regarding the books, Erikson and ICE split the story between them and published it as two separate but concurrent book series.

nesf wrote: »
    They jointly created the world as a game world for a RPG system called GURPS. They then jointly wrote a movie script that failed to sell that was reworked somewhat into Deadhouse Gates (I think). Regarding the books, Erikson and ICE split the story between them and published it as two separate but concurrent book series.

Gardens of the Moon was the script originally, which probably has a lot to do with why it's so hard to get into at first. It's got a pretty distinctive style compared to the rest as well I think.

Deadhouse Gates I believe has been mooted as a possible movie since, particularly the Chain of Dogs. Doubt it will happen any time this decade though!

Gardens of the Moon was the script originally, which probably has a lot to do with why it's so hard to get into at first. It's got a pretty distinctive style compared to the rest as well I think.

Deadhouse Gates I believe has been mooted as a possible movie since, particularly the Chain of Dogs. Doubt it will happen any time this decade though!

Yeah you're jogging my memory there. I got the two mixed up! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just had a vision of that being directed by Michael Bay. <Shudders>

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

In reference to the earlier spoilerific posts on the previous page:
    Uhm - am I the only one that read later that Hood played a part in that, ensuring that WJ never got a chance to get it seen to in revenge for WJ 'stealing' Hood's acolyte (WJ's sister).

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Evac101 wrote: »
    In reference to the earlier spoilerific posts on the previous page:
    Uhm - am I the only one that read later that Hood played a part in that, ensuring that WJ never got a chance to get it seen to in revenge for WJ 'stealing' Hood's acolyte (WJ's sister).

That sounds right..

Assail arrived in all it's Hardback glory on Friday, I wait to finish reading my Drizzit book before I get to read this.

Just wrapped up Memories of Ice over the weekend. Think I'll have a few snacks before moving onto the next course. The next few books are only ~650-700 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

I'm on Toll of The Hounds and that whole scenario was the best in the series IMO so far. I really felt like I was cheering on the characters involved and cared what happened to them.

Coltaine's awesome.

Nearly finished Memories of Ice. Enjoyed it more than Deadhouse Gates. I might need to reread the latter.
    Whiskeyjack's death was horrible. Why didn't he get his damned leg checked out?!
    Hood had an influence...apparently he regretted it.

At least I remember it being said at one point, think it was Shadowtrone who said it.

nesf wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge Contubernium didn't function as independent units, small semi-independent squads of men is a very modern concept in organised warfare that's mostly a result of the amount of ranged firepower such a unit can carry. The Marines being skirmishers would work fine, he doesn't write them that way though. The unit was created for amphibious landings (!!!) and operate independently similar to a rifle platoon much of the time, except a fifth of the size?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed his military writing, I just found some of it jarringly modern in concept.

It get mentioned in Repaer's Gale exactly what they were designed for. In fact they seem to be happy at points they;re back to what they were meant for ie.hit and run. They were trained for amphibious as well but the main purpose was hit and run. In the book there are also some heavy infantry and medium infantry. The differences of heavy infantry are actually pointed out a few times in the Bonehunters
    as a besieging force - marines in to blow up enemies first then heavy infantry for proper battle.

I don't really see that a fantasy writer is in any way obliged to stick to military concepts congruent with some unspecified period of human military history on earth in any case.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series is set in a world in which war includes aerial transport of troops and supplies, airborne battle stations (Moon's Spawn), mage battles, bottled demons, munitions ranging from grenade size to clusterbomb etc etc etc, complaining that it's somehow unrealistic for a small part of the army to be arranged in smaller groups than you like is pretty silly.

Just wrapped up Memories of Ice over the weekend. Think I'll have a few snacks before moving onto the next course. The next few books are only ~650-700 pages.

Almost finished GOTM here, going to skip over Deadhouse Gates as I mentioned and move on to Memories of Ice after. Not sure how I will proceed from there.

• Advertisement

Almost finished GOTM here, going to skip over Deadhouse Gates as I mentioned and move on to Memories of Ice after. Not sure how I will proceed from there.

Is this your third run through?

Is this your third run through?

I'm not sure how many times I've read GOTM at this stage, probably four or five.

I would have read Deadhouse and Memories of Ice the same amount of times, probably read 4 & 5 once less.

I've still only gotten as far as Bonehunters by the way, pretty determined that I'll finish all ten this time though!

I'm not sure how many times I've read GOTM at this stage, probably four or five.

I would have read Deadhouse and Memories of Ice the same amount of times, probably read 4 & 5 once less.

I've still only gotten as far as Bonehunters by the way, pretty determined that I'll finish all ten this time though!

I've toyed with the idea myself but they're fairly chunky books and they're not exactly light reading either. There are no George R. R. Martin style banquets to skip either!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Aethan Dor

I love it, onto Toll the Hounds just yesterday, which is Book 8 I think !

I've read all available A Song of Ice and Fire books to date and I'd actually say I find it easier to keep track of the huge cast in 'Malazan' instead. Though I'd say that's because you're always waiting for the next ASoIaF as opposed to the fact the whole Malazan story is completed !

I've started House of Chains today. Shaping up to be interesting so far.

Ye they are fantastic books (and Esslemont's books are good too). I may start a re-read again as it's been ages since I read the Malazan books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Ye they are fantastic books (and Esslemont's books are good too). I may start a re-read again as it's been ages since I read the Malazan books.

Im 100 pages into blood and bone. Its an improvement in writing. He does explain some things more clearly but in the early books you can be a few pages into a chapter before you know who it is you following.

Just finished the series... impressively drawn together there at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Hi all, I'm currently reading gardens of the moon (about a third in) to keep me going until grrm or Brandon sanderson release something new, and it just feels like a bit of a chore. Is it worth my while to keep at it? I know it's a ten book series, so probably still only setting the scene, but I'm finding it hard to really get involved in it.

• Advertisement

Hi all, I'm currently reading gardens of the moon (about a third in) to keep me going until grrm or Brandon sanderson release something new, and it just feels like a bit of a chore. Is it worth my while to keep at it? I know it's a ten book series, so probably still only setting the scene, but I'm finding it hard to really get involved in it.

It improves though it was a very divisive book when it was published so you're not alone in how you feel. If by the second book it hasn't hooked you it probably never will I think.

Advertisement