Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Stop being built at Parkmore

Options
  • 16-02-2012 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    This is probably more of a Rant at how utterly incompetent the City Council and their workers are but how on earth can it take nearly 3 months to put in a Bus Stop !
    They have Diggers , Trucks about 8 people there yet it's still not done ?
    Can anyone remember when this work actually started ? I think It started late November or the first week in December.
    At this rate I'd say it's nearly cost a million to put in a single Bus Stop lol.

I'm going to email/write to the City Council and see if we can actually get the cost of this..I'll let you know how I get on.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What is it exactly, a pole in the ground?
    Have you asked the workers involved what is going on?

Sure they have put up bus stops and shelters(read advertising signs) on the SeamusQuirke even though there are no scheduled bus services on that particular stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

snubbleste wrote: »
    What is it exactly, a pole in the ground?
    Have you asked the workers involved what is going on?

Sure they have put up bus stops and shelters(read advertising signs) on the SeamusQuirke even though there are no scheduled bus services on that particular stretch.

They Put in a Bus Shelter on the first week (without the roof) and then proceeded to build a bit of a wall. That was the first month and then the last two months attempting to put the path in that they dug up. Oh I don't think the Bus Shelter has a roof yet so might be another few months before it's ready.

Does it have glass/clear plastic yet? Advertising signs? An actual sign that says 'bus'? What about seating? Does it face south-west? A bin for smoker's pleasure?
    So much information missing in the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The problem is the esb/lamp post smack bacng in the middle of where they decided to put the bus stop. This needs to be removed so that the stop can be used safely.

Poor organisation & project management, but then this should have been done several years ago when they repaved the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

antoobrien wrote: »
    The problem is the esb/lamp post smack bacng in the middle of where they decided to put the bus stop. This needs to be removed so that the stop can be used safely.

Poor organisation & project management, but then this should have been done several years ago when they repaved the road.
    I always thought the actual shelters were paid for by the advertising company that wanted to advertise in them. Still whoever it is, surely the Esb pole was clearly in the way...fools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I hope you are being sarcastic here...if you're not, then: WTF? move it a few meters to the left, problem solved...

I remember that a bus shelter was requested to facilitate Medtronic, SAP etc when I started working in Parkmore - that's 7 years ago, and still nothing...yet they put a shelter further up, near Briarhill business park - where i've never ever seen anyone using it, ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

galah wrote: »
    yet they put a shelter further up, near Briarhill business park - where i've never ever seen anyone using it, ever...

There is, or at least was, one lad who used it every day. (Just the one, mind :) )

And I walked up there a few times when I was temping out there and could see that the bus was nowhere it sight.

Still don't understand why the bus doesn't go all the way to the end of Parkmore West though, it would make like so much easier for some of the workers there, for very few extra seconds travel time.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

JustMary wrote: »
    There is, or at least was, one lad who used it every day. (Just the one, mind :) )

And I walked up there a few times when I was temping out there and could see that the bus was nowhere it sight.

Still don't understand why the bus doesn't go all the way to the end of Parkmore West though, it would make like so much easier for some of the workers there, for very few extra seconds travel time.

Haven't seen that lad in the last few months (nice chap mind).
    There is the pretty blonde girl who gets on at that stop some days though.
    Good idea about the service up to Parkmore west Mary (it would give me even longer to enjoy the beauty of that Gorgeous French girl).;)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Facing south of course and I was thinking the same this morning, three months to do this.

I hope you are being sarcastic here...if you're not, then: WTF? move it a few meters to the left, problem solved...

Why would I be sarcastic about it? Have you taken a look at it, it's something I see fairly regularly, however the first glance was enough to decry whatever person thought this specific location was acceptable as an incompetent muppet for all eternity.

I'm not sure if it's this one or the next one they're building the shelter at. Either way they're not the easiest things in the world to move.

The real wtf is why the hell couldn't they build it between the poles, it's not as if there isn't room.
    they put a shelter further up, near Briarhill business park - where i've never ever seen anyone using it, ever...

Stop giving out about my bus shelter. The amount of times, I've gotten on here and seen nobody else on the bus is scary (then again there are about 200 people living on this road, so maybe realistic).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Long past time for a bus shelter up there. Is it to be a proper one with Kassel Kerbing and all? If so, might put a stop to buses obstructing the footpath. A non-fiction timetable would be nice too. The #9 route is one of the most successful in the country, reportedly, even as a less than perfect sevice. Current users deserve a better service and new customers might be attracted with improved facilities.

Bus-Truck-Combo.jpg

bus-again.jpg

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Current users deserve a better service and new customers might be attracted with improved facilities.

With a 15 minute interval during the day the provisioning/lack thereof of a bus shelter is a bit of a non issue here (it was never an issue in castlepark either on the #3 run) for people using this route. I'd love to know where you think the extra customers are going to come from because anybody likely to use the bus is already doing so.

Proper bus stops/shelters ought to be standard. The current level of use, or even the mere existence of the route, is reason enough to do the job properly.

In my experience the service didn't run every 15 minutes as advertised, primarily due to buses being stuck in car traffic, which is just daft. Things may have improved since. In general more people will use PT when it provides advantages equal to or greater than those of the private car, eg when buses can travel freely while motorists are stuck in traffic (bit of a tautology, I know).

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    In my experience the service didn't run every 15 minutes as advertised, primarily due to buses being stuck in car traffic, which is just daft. Things may have improved since. In general more people will use PT when it provides advantages equal to or greater than those of the private car, eg when buses can travel freely while motorists are stuck in traffic (bit of a tautology, I know).

What experience, you don't live or work in that neck of the woods (or at least you've claimed so in the past).

You're forgetting one thing about PT - people that are disinclined to walk 500 yards to a bus stop are disinclined to ever remove themselves from the car users pool.

By the way, have you figured out how many people working in Parkmore don't live in areas that are covered by PT. Because judging by the amount heading towards Claregawlay, Carnmore & the motorway I'd guess that it's more than half.

With a 15 minute interval during the day the provisioning/lack thereof of a bus shelter is a bit of a non issue here

I'd disagree.

I did a lot of temping in Galway Technology Park, in a role that finished at 5pm. I learned never to go straight out to the bus stop, because I'd miss the 5pm and the 5:15 was almost always late. So I stayed in the warm, dry office until 5:40. However the folks who worked in other places, especially Rehab, apparently didn't have the same option or insight: there would regularly be a dozen or more standing in the rain for half an hour. Very uncool, especially given how exhaused the Rehab workers looked at the end of the day.

I'd love to know where you think the extra customers are going to come from because anybody likely to use the bus is already doing so.
    The medical crowd (Merrick Medical I think) are opening their building soon and that is adding another 300 people I think.

The medical crowd (Merrick Medical I think) are opening their building soon and that is adding another 300 people I think.

that a new factory or moving the existing one (can't remember what they announced)?

I'd disagree.

I did a lot of temping in Galway Technology Park, in a role that finished at 5pm. I learned never to go straight out to the bus stop, because I'd miss the 5pm and the 5:15 was almost always late. So I stayed in the warm, dry office until 5:40. However the folks who worked in other places, especially Rehab, apparently didn't have the same option or insight: there would regularly be a dozen or more standing in the rain for half an hour. Very uncool, especially given how exhaused the Rehab workers looked at the end of the day.

When I worked in that neck of the woods a few years ago, I used to take the bus during very inclement weather, partly as an experiment in inter-modal commuting. I bought a folding bike, cycled to Eyre Square/JFK Park and took the #9 from there. Once or twice a driver tried to stop me getting on because BE policy is that they don't carry bikes, even though mine folded like a baby's buggy.

On the return journey the bus was often late, mostly because of traffic, and it's not pleasant to have to stand in the rain. A shelter and a seat ought to be provided as standard, IMO. Galway's PT will eventually reach 21st Century European standards I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

With a 15 minute interval during the day the provisioning/lack thereof of a bus shelter is a bit of a non issue here (it was never an issue in castlepark either on the #3 run) for people using this route. I'd love to know where you think the extra customers are going to come from because anybody likely to use the bus is already doing so.

Two daft sentences.

that a new factory or moving the existing one (can't remember what they announced)?
    It's a new Factory as far as I'm aware. Now all we need is somewhere with a bit of Quality Food to eat out here and we'll be set :)

• Advertisement

New passengers from ...

Ahh, have you read the bioware thread?

New passengers from ...

Ahh, have you read the bioware thread?

they not on stream already? (that's what I get the impression of anyways)

Two daft sentences.

do tell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Why would I be sarcastic about it? Have you taken a look at it, it's something I see fairly regularly, however the first glance was enough to decry whatever person thought this specific location was acceptable as an incompetent muppet for all eternity.

I'm not sure if it's this one or the next one they're building the shelter at. Either way they're not the easiest things in the world to move.

The real wtf is why the hell couldn't they build it between the poles, it's not as if there isn't room.

Stop giving out about my bus shelter. The amount of times, I've gotten on here and seen nobody else on the bus is scary (then again there are about 200 people living on this road, so maybe realistic).

you misunderstood me -wasnt having a go at you but at the incompetence of city planners yet again - if there's a pole at the proposed bus stop location, move the bus stop, obviously, not the pole. that's what the WTF is about - are theyeriously removing the pole instead of moving the bus shelter??

you misunderstood me -wasnt having a go at you but at the incompetence of city planners yet again - if there's a pole at the proposed bus stop location, move the bus stop, obviously, not the pole. that's what the WTF is about - are theyeriously removing the pole instead of moving the bus shelter??

Looks that way, take a look the next time you're passing.

I'm kinda wondering wny they're bothering with a shelter tbh. Any time it's been wet when I've used the one down at the monivea rd I got totally soaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

Merit medical already have a building in Parkmore. With extra investment in the its Galway Plant it was decided that the company would build a second building in the area as the grounds of the first building isn't big enough for the size of extension needed to meet current demands.

It's a bit like Medtronic, seeing as they have 4 buildings it that location alone, or, Creganna who have 3 buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Just saw the orange cones being removed so it's ready now! I thought Mr. President would do the honours. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

This may be the wrong place to post this, and maybe it should get a thread of its own.
    I've been wondering why the 3 bus now goes an extra useless whatever distance down to the motorway roundabout instead of getting the Parkmore part of the route added.
    Reason for its recent change has been the change of the intersection facing the Ballybrit shopping centre from a roundabout to a crossroads.
    This means that instead of just going around the roundabout that was there for years and back down the citybound route it instead has to go down to a roundabout that seems quite a distance down and has no stops on(being near motorway).
    Would think that a practical suggestion would be to get it to go across the intersection and cover some of the area there. Or is this ruled out because it would nearly duplicate the 9 route? There must be people stranded out in that end section for ages waiting on 9s cos Doughiska road seems to have a very intermittent service at times.

Stevolende wrote: »
    I've been wondering why the 3 bus now goes an extra useless whatever distance down to the motorway roundabout instead of getting the Parkmore part of the route added.
    Would think that a practical suggestion would be to get it to go across the intersection and cover some of the area there. Or is this ruled out because it would nearly duplicate the 9 route? There must be people stranded out in that end section for ages waiting on 9s cos Doughiska road seems to have a very intermittent service at times.

:-)

We had posts about this before, in the Lynch RAB removal thread, I think.

Seems to me that these were options to turn the bus around:
    • Parkmore RAB,
    • Briarhill Business park,
    • the airport(or nearby),
    • Coolagh RAB (ie the motorway end),
    • loop around Old Ballybrit Rd).
    They chose the one option that benefits no one at all, except their diseal vendor. No idea why. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Did you ever write in to BÉ about that JustMary?

Advertisement