Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Stop being built at Parkmore

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

snubbleste wrote: »
    Did you ever write in to BÉ about that JustMary?

Not BE's decision. As far as I know these things get decided by someone in the National Transport Authority (who are also tasked with guidance on cycling).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Not BE's decision. As far as I know these things get decided by someone in the National Transport Authority (who are also tasked with guidance on cycling).

Thats true, presume BE would have to put in the request to change the route? BE would have known back in June/July 2011 that Roundabout was going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

JustMary wrote: »
    :-)

We had posts about this before, in the Lynch RAB removal thread, I think.

Seems to me that these were options to turn the bus around:
    • Parkmore RAB,
    • Briarhill Business park,
    • the airport(or nearby),
    • Coolagh RAB (ie the motorway end),
    • loop around Old Ballybrit Rd).
    They chose the one option that benefits no one at all, except their diseal vendor. No idea why. :rolleyes:

Seeing as there is a bus stop at coynes shop at the top of doughiska, I'd have thought it would make most sense to revert to the original castlepark route (i.e. where it goes on the way back).

I know plenty of people that walk from the meadows down to get the #9 anyways (no #3 around as they're passing the stops).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

lucianot wrote: »
    Just saw the orange cones being removed so it's ready now! I thought Mr. President would do the honours. :D

Far from ready my friend.. they've been there again all morning digging up more footpath further down. Looks like they damaged the ESB cables. Diggers and trucks are parked up on the Road. Oh and I don't think it has a roof yet either lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Far from ready my friend.. they've been there again all morning digging up more footpath further down. Looks like they damaged the ESB cables. Diggers and trucks are parked up on the Road. Oh and I don't think it has a roof yet either lol.

I have just twigged what the problem might be. There have been previous issues where BE drivers have refused to use new bus shelters where they are not positioned at exactly the same place as the old bus stop. (I am not joking).

Likely it was decided that it would be easier to move the ESB pole than get BE to use a bus shelter that had moved the stop 10 metres.

Loath though I am to admit it, my sympathy would be with the city council on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Groan. It's enough to make you lose the will.

Anything about the bus drivers' objections in the media at the time?

Oh and I don't think it has a roof yet either lol.

Still no roof on it. Looks like rest of the works are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I have just twigged what the problem might be. There have been previous issues where BE drivers have refused to use new bus shelters where they are not positioned at exactly the same place as the old bus stop. (I am not joking).

Likely it was decided that it would be easier to move the ESB pole than get BE to use a bus shelter that had moved the stop 10 metres.

In fairness, bus-stop locations have to be signed of by the garda, as part of an application for approval by the NTA.

Technically if a bus driver stops at anything other than an approval application, they are breaking the law, possibly not insured, and possibly at risk of losing their job.

Given that bus route changes were announced to be imminent in June 2010, but then delayed because the NTA was busy with Dublin Bus changes, it may well have been easier to move the pole.

JustMary wrote: »
    Given that bus route changes were announced to be imminent in June 2010, but then delayed because the NTA was busy with Dublin Bus changes, it may well have been easier to move the pole.

If that's true then one would have to question the wisdom of centralising such decisions in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

antoobrien wrote: »
    If that's true then one would have to question the wisdom of centralising such decisions in Dublin.

In most countries, local councils have responsibility for public transport. And there are clear mechanism for citizens to request changes.

RoI isn't most countries. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Good point. Why should NTA (i.e the old "Dublin Transportation Office") be doing this

Oh and I don't think it has a roof yet either lol.

Still no roof on it. Looks like rest of the works are finished.
    The stop is in operation, so the buses are no longer either blocking the road or up on the footpath.

The roof is still missing from the shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Having seen the magnificent achievements the local authority has managed with the little power it has, I have to say I'm comfortable with centralised power in Dublin.

Now if we could fire them/punish them for incompetence that would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Ya I genuinely think they have forgotten about the roof lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,593 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A few points.
    1. That job seems to have been very poorly planned. As people have pointed out, if one pole is causing the issues, surely this is something that could have been picked up at the planning phase. This should only be a two week job at most. It's not a major piece of infrastructure.
    2. A shelter there is almost pointless. You'd be well soaked if you worked in the most western point of Parkmore and had to walk to the shelter anyway - or else you'd have an umbrella in which case a shelter wouldnt be of much benefit.
    3. For one of the key industrial estates in the city where probably upwards of 4000 (if not more) people work, I am really surprised that it isnt better served by public transport or buses in general. I believe only one route passes through there. The route does not go into the estate itself. I can see that it could get caught up in estate traffic if it did but it kinda ends up in estate traffic anyway. There should be a route right to the end of the estate with one or two more stops.
    4. I'm not sure of its status but I know the other estate (HP and Boston are in it) arent served by public buses either (although I think HP have a bus service)

There is a lot wrong with public transport in the city but the tardiness of this one bus shelter job does not bode well for any improvements. Nor does the almost total lack of route planning for estates where large amounts of people work.

kippy wrote: »
    A few points.
    1. That job seems to have been very poorly planned. As people have pointed out, if one pole is causing the issues, surely this is something that could have been picked up at the planning phase. This should only be a two week job at most. It's not a major piece of infrastructure.
    2. A shelter there is almost pointless. You'd be well soaked if you worked in the most western point of Parkmore and had to walk to the shelter anyway - or else you'd have an umbrella in which case a shelter wouldnt be of much benefit.
    3. For one of the key industrial estates in the city where probably upwards of 4000 (if not more) people work, I am really surprised that it isnt better served by public transport or buses in general. I believe only one route passes through there. The route does not go into the estate itself. I can see that it could get caught up in estate traffic if it did but it kinda ends up in estate traffic anyway. There should be a route right to the end of the estate with one or two more stops.
    4. I'm not sure of its status but I know the other estate (HP and Boston are in it) arent served by public buses either (although I think HP have a bus service)

There is a lot wrong with public transport in the city but the tardiness of this one bus shelter job does not bode well for any improvements. Nor does the almost total lack of route planning for estates where large amounts of people work.

Very good points made here Kippy especially point 3. Could easily be done for both Parkmore West and East.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

kippy wrote: »
    There should be a route right to the end of the estate with one or two more stops.

It must be frustrating for users of this service to see the bus parked up at the bus stop for many minutes when that time could be spent zipping in to collect passengers (especially in the weather we get).

I wouldn't mind but from what I can remember of Parkmore, it is straight forward for a bus to navigate.

Still no roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Habemus roofus.
    Since this same evening.

Advertisement