Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mi-fi or a cheap 'droid for tethering

Options
  • 16-02-2012 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about buying a portable wi-fi device so that I can use laptop or galaxy tab while out and about.

The trouble is, for the little bit of data I reckon I'd use, it seems a bit of a waste forking out for a mi-fi device. Would I be better off buying a cheapo android phone with tethering capabilities (what I'm thinking is Tesco do 1gb @6.99 for a month's browsing on PAYG)?

If that's the case, what's the cheapest PAYG phone that's capable of tethering?

I hope that kind of makes sense!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

I think most of them would work, if the phone you are buying comes with Froyo(I think it's froyo) that option should already be there.

If it's an older version you can root your phone & install an app like Barnacle which will handle the tethering for you.
    My first smartphone was a Vodafone 845 so I just rooted it and installed a custom rom, barnacle works fine but my Samsung Galaxy S can't see the network, I believe there is a fix for it though, it's to do with it being ad-hoc network.
    When I tether the Galaxy, the VF845 can see that network fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I have an VF845 in a drawer at my desk in work... Must give that a try. Will need to unlock it obviously. Is there a quick/easy way to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Cheap droid all the way. I have a Samsung galaxy Europa on three and with all you eat data handles all the tethering for 20 a month as I was going over my usage limit on my broadband and I was getting ridiculous bills from o2. What I saved in one month more than paid for the phone and the credit. As long as it is 2.2 or above.

Advertisement